Milan for a few hours

Search

Milan for a few hours

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Milan for a few hours

We'll be in Milan for about 8 hour and would like to know what is the best way to spend our time there?
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 09:06 AM
ira

Hi C,

Have you looked up Milan under "Destinations"?

Old Jul 4th, 2007, 09:49 AM

The Duomo, Galleria, Museum at La Scala Opera House, and how about Peck, the most beautiful delicatessen/store/cafe you may ever see. A gentleman in a suit and tie made our sandwiches. These are all close to each other, and then you could visit Castello Sforza to get a little history of the ruling families of Milan.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 01:13 PM

Hello charliepr, I was going to suggest exactly what Knightsound did. And take a little bit of time to window shop if you enjoy looking at beautiful clothes etc.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 02:09 PM

I would suggest the very same thing-have Peck put together a panini, buy a piece of chocolate and a drink and head to the piazza at the Duomo for a picnic, absolutely tour the duomo next and the Galleria, all as mentioned, but if you take a cab back to your starting point, have him swing by a little gelateria named Rivo Reno, www.rivareno.com, for the address, and eat the best gelato cone-I had the Leonardo, amazing!!!- you will be spoiled for icecream for the rest of your life. Enjoy, it's a wonderful city-remember you can only hail a cab from a Taxi stand and there is a time period in the day, sometime around 2-3pm when the cabs don't run for some reason-just fyi-have a great trip, don't miss out on any of the suggestions, if you can help it. Leslie
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 04:04 PM

The original Da Vinci " Last Supper " a breathtaking fresco at the church Santa Maria della Grazie.

This is the one and only----you can get food and gelato throughout Italy.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 06:55 PM

What day of the week will you be there? That makes a HUGE difference to reccos IMO. For example, the convent in which the fresco of the Last Supper is closed on Mondays. Peck’s Deli is closed on Sundays, as are most shops, including those in the Galleria (many shops are also closed Monday mornings). Also, if you let us know the exact date, you will there, it may be a public holiday (which may mean more closures), or it may mean a paritucluar festival will be going on which you should go see.

It would be a very good idea IMO to have reservations to see the Last Supper, otherwise you probably won't get in. To book, phone: 39-02-894-21146 (Mondays-Fridays 9.00am-6.00pm, Saturdays 9.00am-2.00pm, note that Milan is 6 hours ahead of EST) The English-speaking operator will give you a code number for the time and date of your visit. You can then collect and pay for tickets on the day of your visit, at least half an hour before the scheduled time. The last entry for the Last Supper is at something like 6:30 pm.

Peck's Deli is at 7-9 Via Spadari
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 07:24 PM

Hi Charliepr, this is how we spent our 10 hours in Milan, courtesy of some recommendations made here by my fellow Fodorites:

- climb the Duomo
- Galleria Vittorio Emanuele for some people watching and lunch
- the Teatro alla Scala opera house
- Castello Sforzesco to peer into every cubby hole in the place (and then some).

We did all this by the metro, using a 1 day pass we purchased at the metro station. We accomplished this in 7 hours, and only missed Da Vinci's Last Supper because there were no tickets available for the time period I was available, but as Murphy's Law would have it, there were plenty of availability during the times I couldn't make it.

Milan is a great place that deserved some more of my time. I have visions of the city in my head as I type.