There must be something wrong with my thermostat

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2003, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in the cool Pacific Northwest and I cringe everytime I read about someone vacationing in Europe in August.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 12:27 PM

I understand thinking it 's not the best of times to go, but sometimes people have limited choices for reasons of their own.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 12:29 PM
ira

Hi,

Perhaps there is something wrong with your thermostat?
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 12:50 PM
Intrepid

Well, Jando, somebody has to live in the cool Pacific Northwest to mind the store while the rest of the folks are off touring so I guess it might as well be you!

Old Jul 25th, 2003, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

intrepid,
It is a hard job but someone has to do it. The few days a year that it is in th 90's here, I hide...
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 01:12 PM

I've done it -- Scotland, Ireland and England are positively frigid, on average, compared to much of the US in August. Paris is downright pleasant most of the time in summer compared to much of the US, also. So... it all depends where you are coming from.

I would not vacation in Italy or Greece in August but some people do, I don't know why (eg, Germans). I live in Washington DC which can be very hot in August and am amazed at people who vacation here in August (or July, which is just as bad). Actually, it's a myth that August is hotter than July in most places. It isn't in DC and isn't in France or even in Greece.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 01:39 PM
dln

Janda, I live in the Midwest--coooold and gray and nasty in the winter.

I cringe everytime one of my neighbors tells me they're vacationing in the cool Pacific Northwest in August.

Old Jul 25th, 2003, 01:39 PM

I havent done it, I usually go in Sept or April/May. I think a lot of people are limited to when they can travel...school teachers, people who want to bring their children, seasonal workers...it may be hot but if you've always dreamed of visiting Italy and thats the only time you can go the decision is an easy one!
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 01:42 PM
Maira

Europeans may think your comment is pretty dumb given that traditionally in August they go down in hordes to Spain and even hotter vacation destinations.

The only reason I would never vacationed in Europe in the summer months are the crowds.

Old Jul 25th, 2003, 02:14 PM

I dunno. when I thought that, I was just going through menopause.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 03:03 PM

Another way to look at it...

I live in Memphis, TN and Tuesday morning, bright and early, we were greeted with an oddball windstorm reaching 100MPH sustained winds. 306,000 houses went without power and as of right now, 4 days later over 200,000 homes are still without power or A/C or fans.. well, you get the idea. Ours included. In the south, in July, this ain't no fun.

Gas is hard to come by, only a few groceries are open, things like oil lamps, batteries, ice are unavailable. Electric stoves, washing machines etc are useless. Giant oaks are uprooted or snapped in half and are laying all over the roads as are power lines in a few places. Traffic signals are out (and many times scattered all over the intersection below). They have no idea when all homes will be restored, but they are saying up to two weeks. I happen to be working late catching up as work managed to bring in a huge generator. When working late seems like a benefit, you know it's screwed up.

All in all, yep, I'd take Europe in the summer!
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 03:50 PM

Is it warm in here or is it me?
Where should everyone go in August then?
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 04:05 PM
KT

"I cringe everytime I read about someone vacationing in Europe in August."

Even if they're European?
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 04:09 PM

Say, wait a minute! I live in the cool Pacific Northwest, too, and the temperatures I've been reading about London, Edinburgh, Paris sound just like our summer temperatures. Sometimes, up, sometimes down, but ranging from 65-90 through August. All much better than the US East and Midwest.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 04:48 PM

JandaO and Bebe,
Count me in, too. It's hard to imagine leaving here during the summer. Our nights are oh so cool, too. Sigh.
And the sparkling waters, the clear skies, green hills, the snow capped mountains in the distance. Sigh again.

Thank goodness it's dreary in the winters or everyone would move here!