Rome Hotels

Old Jul 18th, 2003, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome Hotels

Traveling to Rome some time next year. Has anyone stayed at the Inn at the Spanish Steps or Grand Hotel Minerve in Rome? Trying to decide between the two since I can't really afford the very luxurious Hotel de Ruffie... Has anyone stayed there also (Hotel De Ruffie)? Looks like a classy place....
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 01:02 PM

The de Russie is a great hotel, its worth checking to see if they have any specials going. At the least, go have lunch or an evening drink in the courtyard.
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 01:35 PM

I have been to both the Inn at the Spanish steps and the Grand Hotel Minerva. Your choice depends on what you are looking for because they are completely different styles of hotels. The Inn is very small and feels residential. The service is personalized and it feels like an upscale pensione (no large hotel lobby or services). The Hotel Minerve is a large and more traditional hotel with a beautiful lobby, incredible rooftop restaurant/bar with fantastic views and many types of room categories. The location is fantastic, just steps from the pantheon and piazza navona. The Hotel de Russie is always my first choice but I just can't afford it.
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your feedback on the Rome hotels. I think my first choice will be the De Russie (did I actually type De Ruffie!!!) if I can afford it and my second choice will be Grand Hotel Minerve since it's getting great reviews mostly for location.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 05:33 AM

We looked into both the hotels you mentioned in addition to the Alberto del Senato and decided on the later. It is across the street from the Pantheon and has a rooftop terrace. It received great reviews on www.venere.com and I loved the web site.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 05:39 AM

some of my family stayed at the Minerva last spring and they loved it.
Beautiful hotel, perfect location, a location that I myself would prefer to the Russie.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Elaine-Thanks on the Hotel Minerva in Rome recommendation. I think I like the location better and of course the room rate is more affordable.....
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 04:58 PM

Can I suggest another hotel for your consideration? We just returned from the Hotel Pantheon, a 4-star (the hotel dates from the 7th century) which is just around the corner from the Albergo Del Senato. We stayed in the Diamante Suite, which is very large by any city standards, and were extremely pleased with the service and location of the hotel. The only drawback was that the Diamante Suite has only skylights, so you have no view, but the room (a small duplex with upstairs loft and new bathrooms) was very comfortable and quiet considering that it's only minutes from most of the action in Rome. Double deluxe rooms there start at about $180-200/night. The Diamante Suite which was perfect for our family of four, runs about $500 a night.

Good luck with your choice!