Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

""The Venetian Game", a novel set in Venice

Mar 3rd, 2017, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

There are heaps of novels set in Venice, everything from ‘The Aspern Papers” to “Death in Venice”, with a heap of Donna Leon novels for good measure.

Yet another has been published just a couple of days ago – “The Venetian Game” by Phillip Jones. Phil’s a resident of Venice, having emigrated there from the UK about five years ago. He teaches English, and his skill with the language and his droll sense of humour shine through in the book.

He has written the novel in the first person, the protagonist being Nathan, the Hon. British Consul in Venice, and Venice is brought to life in all her chaotic, non-understandable gritty glory. It is a good read.

Some of you (Anglicans and Episcopalians) might have run across Phil at St Georges, the church for the Anglophone community in Venice. Phil dispenses the wine at Holy Communion most Sundays. I’m sure he’d be happy to sign your book after the Sunday Eucharist.

Phil's wife Caroline has in the past been a helpful contributor on Fodors, so in a way I'm paying her help forward.
Mar 3rd, 2017, 05:36 PM

Thank you for the recommendation.
Mar 3rd, 2017, 06:04 PM

Peter, thank you so much for posting this. I read your Venice reports and live vicariously. I love Venice and am looking forward to reading this.
Mar 3rd, 2017, 06:08 PM

Thank You Peter. I will be looking for this book. I am going to add it to my to-read list at Goodreads so I don't forget it. I'm on book #16 of the Donna Leon series right now. I love visiting Venice, both in real life and in books.
Mar 4th, 2017, 12:55 AM

Thank you for recommending a book, Peter. It's a thing I always appreciate. A book about Venice, not less.
Mar 4th, 2017, 07:31 AM

Good to know. Thank you, Peter. I'be got to order books on Amazon today, so if it's there, I'll get a copy.
Mar 4th, 2017, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

I'm plugging Phil's book without shame, as he and his wife Caroline are good friends. This is Phil's second book, the first was "The Venice Project", describing how he and Caroline dumped their jobs in IT in Scotland and moved to Venice.

That book was self published, and did well enough to encourgae Phil to do a novel. I wish him the best of luck, and he might be the next Donna Leon. And thanks on Phil's behalf to everyone who has bought a copy of "The Venetian Game".