Vengeance in Venice, a novel.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2018, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

“Vengeance in Venice” is Phillip Jones’ second novel set in Venice, following on from “The Venetian Game”, his first novel. Phil and Caroline moved to Venice from Edinburgh about five years ago, after chucking in jobs that they were both sick of. (I met them via Caroline, who was an enthusiastic poster on Fodors.)

Phil’s novels are written in the first person, in the character of Nathan, the Honorary British Consul to Venice. Between times he makes a crust doing translations, such as lawn mower manuals, and has a pleasingly dry sense of humour, like describing the political stance of Il Gazzetino as “centrist miserabilest.

Venice herself plays a part as a character, and is well described.

Vengeance will be published on 5th April, available on Amazon. The launch party in Venice is 12 May, so that’s why we are headed to Venice early May.

Phil’s website is here. https://philipgwynnejones.com/
Old Mar 9th, 2018, 03:34 PM

Have read two previous books so can't wait for this one. Enjoy your trip to Venice.
Old Mar 9th, 2018, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Phil has a contract for book three, “The Venetian Masquerade”, so he is really under way. Book four will happen in due course, if multiple Negronis don’t waylay him.
Old Mar 9th, 2018, 07:04 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I read the Venice Project and was sooooo jealous of Caroline and Philip I do miss her posts here . . . .
Old Mar 11th, 2018, 03:49 PM

not on Kindle
Old Mar 11th, 2018, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jangita
not on Kindle
Not on Kindle yet, as the publication date is 12th April. So it is certainly coming. Meanwhile, Phil’s previous novel, The Venetian Game, made it to No 4 on the Times best seller list.

We were lucky, being in Venice when Phil got the word from his agent that The Venetian Game would be going to print. So the dinner for the four of us that evening was pretty outrageous.
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 03:14 AM

Sounds great. Will have to start with the first book. Back to the library today! Thanks Peter.
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 03:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I can recommend Phil's writing too, and following my recent visit to Venice I am the proud possessor of a signed copy of the Italian translation of The Venetian Game; even though it almost put my luggage over the weight limit on the plane there's no way I would have jettisoned it.

Peter - I missed the news of the contract for the third book by a day, but we managed a pretty good meal nonetheless. Sadly a Campari spritz is about all I can manage - a Negroni has me on the floor.

Looking forward very much to seeing you and Lou in May.