Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

The ultimate question: Where to store film when flying?

May 12th, 2002, 05:41 PM
Laura

I have read many articles, and every one says different things. The most recent article stated that it is safer to put used and unused film in your carry on luggage, rather then in your checked luggage, because of new high-tech methods to look at luggage. I'm really confused about this. In the past I have put film in my checked luggage, but now I'm not so sure.
Which is safer? Does anyone know?

May 12th, 2002, 05:47 PM
Louis

Just returned from Europe. Put film in carry-on luggage. No problem.

May 12th, 2002, 05:49 PM
Carol

Always put your film in your carry on. Checked luggage is subject to x-ray search which is a LOT stronger than the scanners you go thur at security.

May 12th, 2002, 06:39 PM
greg

There is an interesting article on damaged film on 5/10/2002 Frommers newsletter. Although the article does not explicityly says carry on, the context referring to the sign on the x-ray machine, FAA hand inspection, seem to indicate he is referring to the inspection machine for the carry on luggages.

Here is the link if it is before 5/13
http://www.frommers.com/newsletters/today/article5.html

If after 5/13, here is the link
http://www.frommers.com/newsletters/search/

and click the last 30 days.

May 13th, 2002, 05:46 AM
Laura

Thanks everyone! I just needed to be reassured.

May 13th, 2002, 05:47 AM
Laura

Thanks everyone! I just needed to be reassured.

May 13th, 2002, 08:34 AM
Film

Don't put film in checked luggage cuz new, powerful xray devices will ruin it. You can carry it in your cary on bag, but why bother? Just develop it at the one hour film stores that are popping up all over Europe, even at airports. It costs a bit more, but it's worth the peace of mind.

May 13th, 2002, 03:38 PM
Iris

So, I need to carry my 20 rolls of unused film in my carry-on bag? I thought only developed film should not be put in checked luggage! I'm confused now.

May 13th, 2002, 04:06 PM
Mike

Get your film developed in Europe, instead of bringing your exposed rolls home with you? If you're talking more than a few rolls of film, the stacks of prints start to get MUCH heavier than the rolls of film. I came home from Europe last fall with 15 rolls of film; had I gotten them developed in Europe, that would have been the equivalent of carrying several books in my carry-on bag (which is where I'd put all my film, Laura, since you asked).

May 13th, 2002, 04:11 PM
Fran

you can ask that the film be processed, but that you do not need prints - just bring home your processed negatives and have prints made when you get home.

May 13th, 2002, 04:59 PM
Art

I took 16 rolls last year and picked up a lead lined bag to put them in. I missed one roll which turned out up in my checked luggage and was ruined. The rest came through in good shape.

May 13th, 2002, 05:02 PM
Carol

yes! All 20 rolls of your film should be carried on both before and after they are used. If the film is clouded before use then the pictures won't turn out.

May 13th, 2002, 05:15 PM
Carol, too

I agree with the other 2 Carols.

May 13th, 2002, 05:26 PM
Michael

Every time I go through security I have to empty my pockets of keys and change. I carry my ten rolls of film in my pockets, empty them with the keys, and they do not get scanned.

May 17th, 2002, 03:07 AM
Myer

Just got back from Rome and London a couple of days ago. That means I flew from Miami, London and Rome.

One airport (can't remember which) advised not to place film in checked luggage as it gets super zapped. Another indicated that you can ask for a manual check.

I bought a small film bagd that is lead lined and put my film in it and put it in my carry on.

I'm amazed that I was never asked to open it. That is supposed to give them a black hole.