Film and X Rays at Security checkpoints

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found out the hard way! Please read this so you can protect your film. From Consumer's Reports:

"If you're planning holiday air travel, you'll need to pack carefully to protect photographic film from the new X-ray scanners now in place in nearly all U.S. airports. The scanners, minivan-sized, use high-powered X-rays to screen checked luggage for explosives.

"If unprocessed film goes through," says James Blamphin, a Kodak spokesman, "it will be damaged--I'm not hedging here." The X-ray damage can mean that when you expose the film, prints will be marred with bands of fog or pronounced streaking (see the photo at right). The damage can't be corrected. Film inside a camera isn't safe, either.

By contrast, film stowed in carry-on luggage is safe as long as it isn't scanned more than five times, Blamphin says. The scanners that X-ray carry-on luggage use a lower level of radiation.

If you're still skeptical, you have the right to have film hand-inspected at U.S. airports. If airport security officers don't comply with this government regulation, ask to speak with a supervisor.

Another option: Buy film after you arrive at your destination and have it developed before you head home. Or switch to a digital camera. The airport X-rays won't affect the memory card it uses instead of film.

Buying lead-lined film-protector bags is not sensible, in our book. The bags can't shield film from the powerful X-rays used on checked luggage, and they're unnecessary for film in carry-on luggage. Indeed, the bags' bricklike appearance on the scanner could prompt closer inspection of your belongings and possibly delay your departure."

Hope this helps...
Debi
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 08:49 AM

Yes, and in my experience, there are signs and vocal warnings about your film possibly being ruined when you are dropping off luggage, or maybe I have just been lucky. This week at HNL I had a roll of exposed film in a bag I was about to check on a plane when I saw the sign about possible film damage and removed the film at the last second. Too bad you weren't so lucky...
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 08:54 AM

We've been warned each and every time we've flown over the last couple of years about this. I applaud the airlines' efforts to help us protect our memories!
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

I had already packed unexposed film in checked bags and they were long gone by the time I read the signs at airport. Most of the pictures actually came out ok...a few had some pink tinge which made some of the Hawaiian sunsets look a bit prettier LOL.

I guess, in the old days, unexposed film was safer in checked bags. <sigh>

Anyway...just wanted to be sure no one else made same silly mistake!
Debi
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 10:17 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
" guess, in the old days, unexposed film was safer in checked bags. <sigh>"

Nope - even in the "old days" it was never a good idea to place film in checked luggage, and if one was flying overseas that has been pretty much true for 20 or 30 years or more since stonger screening equipment has been used ofr a very long time..

Carry on luggage is fine - but one should never put film in checked bags.
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 10:21 AM

Oh, Debi! I am so sorry! I didn't realize this had actually happened to you. I thought maybe you had been warned like us, and took it out before checking your bags. Obviously we've been very fortunate not to have it happen.
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 11:31 AM

I use a lead-lined bag and get hand checked every time. Last summer I went through airport security checks 8 times with the same rolls of film. In Europe, the hand checking of just film is dismissed out of hand, so the bags do have their function.
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 12:17 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
A lead bag really isn't necessary/useful. The screeners used for cabin bags are not the type that will hurt most films. The effects are cumulative, so if one is taking many flights and using very fast films - then a lead bag might help a bit. I haven't used a lead bag in about 20 years and have never had a roll damaged -- thousands of rolls over the years.

And a lead bag is of no use at all for checked bags - if they see a dark rectangle on the image they will simply up the power to levels that will nuke the film anyway.
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 12:45 PM

None of this information is really new. The warnings about not putting film in checked luggage has been the advice ever since 9/11, if not before!
Still, thanks for the reminder.