The Strand Palace

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2002, 06:15 AM
Michelle

The Strand Palace

Any info on this hotel in London?

Old May 24th, 2002, 06:19 AM
Wayne

The Strand Palace is a huge, old, rather tired hotel with so-so service and mediocre to average rooms. One of its only strong points is its location; plus usually their price is pretty good for London. But of course you get what you pay for.

Old May 24th, 2002, 06:20 AM
Andy

Michelle- I stayed there YEARS ago-<BR>Nice hotel, good location-<BR>Don't know what time of year you are going , but we went in JUNE and requested a hotel with A/C--and was told<BR>the Strand Palace had ac---NO WAY_<BR><BR>THe only area ( at that time) that had A/c was the LOBBY and all the restaurants. We had to open our room windows to get a cool breeze.<BR><BR>Be forewarned ---if you want A/c in your HOTEL room--specifically ask.....as a lot of hotels in the UK and Europe have no A/c<BR><BR>Strand Palace also had a fantastic restaurant called the Carvery in the hotel--it was a buffet with all you could eat --You actually carved your own roast beef...and it was very reasonable.

Old May 24th, 2002, 07:39 AM
Joanne

Michelle: It's been a while but we stayed at the Strand a couple of times and would stay there again (assuming no drastic change has taken place). The location is superb: short walking distance to Covent Garden, with tube station there as well as Charing Cross and even a block or so to the Thames and the Embankment Station. A great number of buses stop near the hotel as well. <BR><BR>We did an easy, leisurely walk along the Thames to the Houses of Parliament. Also took a boat from there once at rush hour when the tube station was jammed.<BR><BR>It's true the hotel is old and you will find lots of complaints if you do a search, but we asked for and received corner rooms, which apparently are larger, and both had good bathrooms. Breakfast was good with fair selection and the restaurants in the hotel aren't bad at all.<BR><BR>We don't travel in midsummer, so didn't require AC. Went once in February and the heat worked fine.<BR><BR>Maybe we are easy to please, but we liked the hotel and, as noted above, would stay there again.<BR><BR>j

Old May 24th, 2002, 07:53 AM
Lori

Never stayed there, the one time we popped into the lobby (to get in out of the rain) it reeked of cigerette smoke.<BR>If that is an indication of the hotel I'd avoid it. It's huge and a lot of tour groups use it I've heard. Location is good, but it's still several blocks to the Tube. You can do better I think.

Old May 25th, 2002, 04:27 AM
steve

Stayed there twice years ago and found it adequate. Staff was helpful. Good location