strand palace hotel

Search

strand palace hotel

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2003, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
strand palace hotel

I received great rates for both the Strand Palace hotel and the Best western Shaftesbury which is right at Picadilly. Which one should I take? The Strand seems to be a nicer hotel, but the BW's location is ideal...Any thoughts?
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 01:04 PM

Have not stayed at either one, but know both locations. Piccadilly is of course extremely central, but would not be my choice of where to stay because I just don't enjoy that Times Square type of environment. (Nor would I be crazy about having a McDonald's on the ground floor of my hotel.) So my personal choice between the two would be the Strand Palace.

That said, the Shaftsbury has gotten good feedback at this site (though they no longer book the hotel, which makes me wonder a bit):
http://www.hotels-london.co.uk/guest...p?hotel_id=193

About the same as the Strand, actually:
http://www.hotels-london.co.uk/guest...hp?hotel_id=76

Try text searching here by "hotel name AND london" and perhaps also on tripadvisor.com to find other opinions.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 02:37 PM

You might like to be aware that the Shaftesbury is undergoing major renovations at the moment. Not sure when your trip is planned for but they look like they will be underway for some time.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 05:36 PM

Stayed at the Strand Palace twice - in 74 and 84. It was fine. There have been some negative comments in this forum about it though, so I would do a serach to see if the comments are still in the system.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 04:15 AM

I have stayed at the Strand Palace three times. It is a large hotel across the street from the Savoy. Like many London hotels, the rooms are extremely small, but I like the location. From there it is walking distance or a short tube ride to most of the major tourist attractions in London, particularly Covent Garden, the theater district and the River Thames. As the previous poster said, there have been some negative comments on this forum about the location and hotel, so to each his own. IMO, it is a good choice, particularly if you get a good rate. I prefer it over Piccadilly.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 07:22 AM

We've stayed at the Strand Palace each time we've visited London and are reserved again for next December. The negative comments have included: tiny rooms, seedy, rundown, etc. We always try to get a corner room and they seem to be a bit larger than average. We like having a choice of restaurants on premises for days we return tired from sightseeing and don't wish to go out.

The main reason for our choice is the location. Three underground stations within walking distance, a good choice of buses pass by the hotel and walking to many places is easily done. As far as we are concerned, though not trendy or posh, we'll continue staying there in spite of negative opinions posted here.