Reload this Page >

The So-Called "Dress Code"

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2003, 03:17 AM
JonJon

Just got back from a short trip to Paris and London and wanted to offer a brief comment about the ever-present "dress code" we seem to hear so much about on this board.

As I have stated in the past, and can easily now once again re-confirm: there ISN'T one.

Levis and denim clothing absolutely everywhere along with everything else except the colors worn seem to be monochromatic (as in blue and black and gray) as well as tennis shoes (or "trainers&quot if you will on many of the "locals" to INCLUDE a very British gentleman who was buying some Lobb's shoes at the same time I was.

Fortnum and Mason remain great for gift-buying although the main floor seems to get jammed a lot, the hotel 22 Jermyn Street still in a very convenient area and has some of the friendliest and most knowledgeable staff anywhere...now,if they only had a restaurant of their own..., show tickets cheaper than New York and easy to get (the recent 50th anniversary performance of "The Mousetrap" was especially fun...but I admit I got THOSE tickets through a NYC theatrical production company connection; "Bombay Dreams" still packing them in as is the totally wild and profane "Jerry Springer."

I'm not convinced "The Ivy" is any better than some good restaurants in the US but it was fun to experience and what we did order was well-prepared and well-presented as one would EXPECT from a place that charges those kinds of prices.

The currency exchange rate is lousy and makes London seem even MORE expensive than it already is.

Food on Virgin Airlines better than I expected and they still have what I think is the BEST in-flight entertainment system of ANY airline.

Go soon, before the dollar falls any farther and enjoy.

Old Nov 30th, 2003, 03:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info JonJon. What are Lobb's?
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 03:49 AM
ira

Thanks for the info, JonJon
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 09:48 AM
BLN

We just got back from a week in Rome and I concur about the dress code comments, with a couple reservations. First, slim-fitting jeans and sneakers are definitely very common. However, only the relatively young wear them -- we didn't see any Italian men over about 25 or Italian women over 35 (estimates!) wearing jeans or sneakers unless they were VERY stylish. And in general the jeans were "hipper" than any Levis or Old Navy jeans we'd find in the US - streaks, darker colors, and form-fitting. I think a slim, young American could easily fit in wearing jeans and sneakers.

For what it's worth...
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 10:54 AM

Hi JonJon: Thanks for the tips. We're off to London on Friday and look forward to the Christmas atmosphere and shopping.

Will continue to wear my usuals in Europe, only warmer. Usually wear cotton and linen, as we geneally travel in spring, but obviously for this winter trip will be taking a few sweaters, my long BLACK coat, warmer trousers, boots, and no jeans or SNEAKERS (I don't own a pair).

I agree with BLN that the younger crowd are the only ones who wear jeans. We have found this to be the case in Italy, France and Spain. I don't think I will be able to talk my husband out of wearing them, but if he's comfortable that's fine.

It amuses me that everytime a "what to wear" thread comes up it seems the male gender try to disprove the feminine gender's idea of what's correct, i.e. dark colors, no shorts or jeans and no sneakers. Frankly I don't give a hoot what anyone wears and wish the whole clothing issue would disappear!

Old Nov 30th, 2003, 11:16 AM
ira

Hi all,

My lady wife reminds me to mention the woman in Positano who was wearing very stylish, slim-cut jeans made of silk.
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 11:36 AM

Well, there's getting by and then there's feeling good about yourself. Not to mention representing your country well.
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 12:13 PM

Hi Giovanna, We are headed to London a day ahead of you! You fly out of SFO too, don't you? I hope you have a lovely time.

I am with you on the clothing thing. The whole idea of a dress code makes me nuts. Takes me back to parocial school.
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 12:29 PM

My man-wife asked me to make a couple of points:

"silk jeans" is an oxymoron or mixed metaphor or something like that. By definition, jeans can only be made of a heavy twilled cotton - commonly known as denim.

In the gay community, men of all ages (not just under 25) still - and probably always will - find wearing jeans de rigueur. But what do they know - they've always been hopelessly fashion backwards.
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 01:00 PM

Every time I read a response implying that jeans are unsuitable attire, I am reminded of the days pre-1989 when visitors to the former USSR were beseiged with offers to buy their blue jeans.
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 01:17 PM

What is a Man-Wife? Is it a permanent position or is it rotated on a periodic basis? And can the Man-Husband wear jeans at the same time as the Man-Wife?
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 06:36 PM

I have to agree with KS452 -- by definition, jeans are made of denim. Pants made of silk aren't jeans, they are trousers or slacks or pants -- even if they may have some cut and pockets and stitching that simulate one style of typical blue jeans (and only one, as there are so many now). Anyway, that isn't really what people are talking about (silk pants with stilettos) when they say can you or can't you wear jeans trudging around Europe.

There really are dress customs (not "codes&quot in Europe, and in the US in certain places and occasion), and it is not attractive for certain people to wear jeans in some situations and to some places. BLN had it right, I'd say. I don't find a lot of British men dress very well, though, so wouldn't hold them up as any standard -- last summer I was attending a nice concert of the BBC Proms at Royal Albert Hall, and in the box seats some British man was wearing trainers with some casual clothes. He would have looked better with jeans as the trainers with regular slacks looked weird. It was just an outfit that looked horrendous. I suppose he could have been a tourist from outside London. He was definitely the exception, though, no one else around was dressed like that. So, if the idea is that you can dress terribly because others do, also--I don't see the logic, but of course it's true. You can get into Royal Albert Hall dressed however you want, if that's what you want to look like.
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 07:38 PM

I like jean styled pants and wear them in black cords, velvet and light cotton. I would like to find some in silk, too.
You all know what was meant by silk jeans.
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 07:47 PM

I obviously didn't. It sounds abrasive to my ears (and to my eyes if I were to see them in the flesh)...yuk!
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 08:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I long ago gave up caring what people were wearing, when I met some wonderful people( in France and England) who did not fit my discription of chic because they were so nice; who cares what they are wearing, friendship is more important, tho I love fashion and will discuss it here.
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 09:15 PM

Sorry, KS452, hope you recover soon.
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 04:29 AM

I had dinner at Market in Paris last week, and several men wore jeans, as well as a few women. Women looked very smart, with high heels, smart tops or jackets. Men looked like they thought they were pop stars (maybe they were?) with t-shirts and long hair. Also many people in jacket/tie. No-one looked out of place.
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 04:46 AM

Are there any Europeans out there reading this thread? I would love to hear if they stress out about what to wear when they visit the U.S. I'll bet not.
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 05:07 AM

Angela, I'm European, and in fact I'm going to be in the US this Christmas. Can't say I'm that worried about what to wear when I'm there. If we go somewhere smart I'll dress smart. If we're just walking about sightseeing or shopping, I'll dress comfortably. I certainly won't be posting on the US board to ask what colour socks I should be wearing, or which way to tie my scarf... ;-)
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 05:29 AM
Degas

hanl, just be on guard for all the gross, no-manners, don't-care, selfish, its-all-about-me, fat, poorly dressed americans having a bad hair day and eating in public and dripping sub-standard ice cream on your expensive, perfect-fitting all black clothes! Call 911 if such shocking behavior becomes too much to endure. (little devil face goes here).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -