The shores B&B

Old Nov 1st, 2004, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The shores B&B

Just got back from Ire.Be forewarned.Anyone staying at the Shores Country Cottage....take lots OF $2 EUROS.We had to constantly feed the meter....or the lights went out.I'm talking anywhere from 12 to 20 euro's a night.We did not use much electricity.What a scam.
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 05:31 PM

How about giving us some more information. I've never rented a cottage in Ireland. It may be helpful to others.

Have others had the same issues?
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 07:51 PM

I recently stayed at the Shores Country House B&B on the Dingle Peninsula and loved it. It is obviously separate from the self-catering cottage which I did not see. Most self-catering places have you pay for electricity as an extra. But if you did not like the metered system I would let the owner know exactly how you feel. If there are enough complaints they might go to a different system. Also, electricity is expensive (like everything else) in Ireland. Have you contacted the owners yet?
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 03:45 AM

Electricity is VERY expensive here but not €20euro a day. Do let them know what you think as some places just do a meter reading and charge by units which is cheaper .
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 09:33 AM

We rented a cottage for a week last July and there were seven of us. At the end the owner read the meter and we paid only 32 euros extra for electicity and we did loads of wash and also used the dryer. We found that quite reasonable. And the house was wonderful.
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 12:27 PM

I presume you meant to say that you stayed at the Waters Edge Cottage which is obviously not the same as the B&B but has the same owner. The Shores (the B&B) clearly doesn't charge extra for electricity.

It's surpriseing to hear that the charge is so high because the rooms at the B&B are certainly not price high considering you are staying at an AA 5 diamond B&B. I really don't know much about the cottage other than it exists. Annette has wanted to show it too us before, but there has always been someone staying there. BTW, the heat is electric also, so it wasn't just the lights that were running up the bill. Did the heat cut off in the middle of the night also?

Bill
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 01:09 PM

Chezzle, The very first thing to do in such a circumstance is to contact the owner immediately. Since she lives nearby the self-catering cottage and you knew where to find her, did you tell her of your concerns? If so, what was the response? I agree with Budman that more info would be helpful before saying something is a scam. Many things run on electricity such as a water heater, washer, dryer, dishwasher, fridge, heat, etc. If you only fed the meter at night was the fridge off all day?
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 08:03 AM

I took a moment to ask Annette about the electricity charges at the self catering cottage. She was distressed that someone would think that she was running a scam and felt bad that they hadn't asked her about it. This is the way it is set up:

She installed the meters to avoid surprises to the customers at the end of their stay. The meters control everything from heating, lighting, cooking, hot water and clothes washing. There are heaters in the hallway and sitting area that are not on the metering system and she pays for them. As for the rates charged, "The meter is set according to the rate charged by our electricity suppliers in fact it may be a little less as we have experienced two electricity increases recently and another on the way."

This appears to be a new way of handling electricity charges but, from what I can tell, she is charging no more than she is being charged. She has always offered excellent value for the money at her B&B and it would surprise me if she did not do the same at the self catering. She'll always get my business.

Bill
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 08:49 AM

Ok. Chezzle...what exactly did you use and when? Doing a few loads of laundry , cooking and ESPECIALLY the Dryer heavily could cause high charges. Day rates are higher I think as well.I still think 12-20 per might is insane if the radiators are heated separately. There is some middle groud between the two here. Maybe shed some light of the time of day and what you used. Otherwise make the B&B/cottage owners test it for themselves!
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

ok...we basically used electricity at night.No t.v,no radio,did not use washer/dryer as we would be washing clothes at friends in Westport.We did shower,had a light breakfast in the morning...then left til late at night.Only used lights when we were in a room.No two ways about it...we were overcharged.Our friends in Westport had the same set-up with the meter....and as we learned...the homeowner adjusts it herself.Yes Annette is a very nice person,both Shores properties are nice.....but the electricity costs are way out of line.We travel to Ireland several times a year,that is why we were taken aback with the electricity cost.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 09:03 PM

chezzle, Did you inform Annette of the problem yourself when you were there? Perhaps there was a glitch with the meter not working properly. Have you ever contacted Annette about your problem? Perhaps she would return some of your money. She seems like a lovely, honest person who works extremely hard to run a good B&B and self-catering property. She has an excellent reputation throughout Ireland (I heard lots of good feedback about her when I was there). In fact, this is the first negative I have heard.