Family of 5 at B&B in Ireland????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a family of 5 going to Ireland. While we may self cater for part of the time, we may be moving around too much to do that the whole time. Is is crazy to get two rooms at a B&B, or does that work? Most people seem to rave about the B&B's in Ireland, but I just don't know if that's feasible for two parents and three 10-16 year old kids....
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 09:26 PM

Why would it be crazy to get two rooms at a B&B? I think it would be less expensive than a hotel with two rooms. You will enjoy your trip. Good Luck.
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 09:36 PM

Maybe what you are asking if you can get two rooms in a B&B if you don't make reservations? Maybe someone else can comment on the feasibility of that. Certainly if you make reservations ahead of time, I can't see a problem.
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 02:35 AM

Self catering places usually do weekly rentals, so unless you want to stay in one place for a week at a time, one of those might not be best for you. B&B's can get expensive if you need to rent two rooms. I don't think they will cut you a break just because you rent two rooms. We have stayed in B&B 'family' roome in Ennis (Rose Cottage) and in Ross a'Veal (An Ceibh - about 25 min west of Galway). The latter was huge: a double and about 4-single beds. Both were 'ensuite' (i.e., private bath)

Have you given any thought to Hostals (Tourist Hostals rather than Youth Hostals)?? I stayed at Abbey Tourist Hostal in Ennis (Co. Clare): The price per person goes down, the more people occupying the room (as low as 20 Euro PPS).

In Ballina, Co. Mayo, I stayed at Brig Own B&B (on the Quay near Croketts). Marjorie, owner/manager had 3-rooms: a double, a twin double and a single. Each had its own private bath. I asked for my daughter's family and Marjorie said she would make them a 'deal' if they wanted to rent all her rooms for a few days.

If you are going during 'high' tourist season, you should book ahead at as many B&B's as you can.
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 03:25 AM

We just recently traveled to Galway, Ennis, Doolin, and the Aran Islands and found B&B's to be the way to go in Ireland. They are generally very comfortable, clean, and affordable. They tend to charge per person and we found the average rate to be between 25-35 euros per person. There are tons of B&Bs in Ireland and the ones we stayed at did have multiple rooms, which could easily accommodate a family of 5. Of course, availability would be dependent on the time of year you went and the destination. I do think it is quite feasible, however, for you and your family to stay at B&B. In terms of the self-catering, B&Bs, in my experience, don't generally let you use their kitchen to cook, but there are many beautiful areas for picnics in Ireland!
Ireland is a beautiful & soulful country. I wish you and your family a wonderful time.
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone, and if anyone has particular recommendations for B and B's appropriate for a family of 5 in Dingle, Connemara, or the Westport area, we'd love to hear them!
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 12:46 PM

I stayed in a B&B (Tighbeg) in Murrisk which is about 10 minutes from Westport. I belive they had a triple and a double that ajoined, but not entirely sure. The owners were great and the virew was to Clew Bay. http://www.anu.ie/tighbeag/index.html

I always stay at The Shores on the north side of the Dingle Peninsula. I can't remember if she has a triple or not, but it's the best B&B I've found. Looking at her website, it appears she has "family rooms". http://www.theshorescountryhouse.com/

Connemara is a large area that you may want to whittle that down a bit.

Bill
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 02:45 PM

In case you don't know, Ross a'Veal is sort of a gateway to Connemara. It's also where you can catch a boat to the Aran Islands. For a foto of AnCheibh http://groups.msn.com/NedsIrelandPubsandgolf
It's the first pix on the website and if you come along the coast road, it's on the turn toward the ferry dock after Spiddal. In the Pub they have Irish C&W Thursdays and Trad Irish muaic on Fridays.

The Owner/Manager is 'Brid.'
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

You guys are so helpful! Thanks, and keep 'em coming!
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 10:22 AM

Luna1, The suites at Greenmount House in Dingle would fit five people, but still only 1 bathroom. Greenmount has regular rooms that are cheaper, maybe one suite and one room, that way you'd have 2 bathrooms. Wherever you stay, consider having the 2 rooms so you'd have the 2 baths. Look on IrelandYes web site or Pat Preston for details of B&B's. I like IrelandYes the best as she is up-to-date.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Chatham, that sounds like very good advice. With two teens, two baths for the five of us would be handy! This is all really helpful - thanks.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 12:58 PM

Luna1, Glad to help.
Joan
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 11:17 PM

Luna1, our family spent 3 nights at The Boulevard Guesthouse in Westport, County Mayo. It's a small guesthouse right in town, walking distance to pubs, shops, restaurants, yet quiet enough to sleep at night. Good prices. Nice cooked breakfast included in price and rooms are ensuite (with their own bathrooms). I recommend this one. It's listed in Rick Steves recent guidebook.

In Dingle we loved Heaton's Guesthouse, but it is much pricier. That was our splurge.

If you click on my name you might be able to find my trip report for Ireland where I mention all the places we stayed, always with 2 rooms, in b&bs or small guesthouses.

Enjoy1