Need some B&B help for Ireland trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning on staying in or near these towns. Can anyone recommend a place to stay (or stay away from!)

Doolin (2 nights)
Dingle (2 nights)
Portmagee (2 nights)
Kenmare (2 nights)
Kinsale (2 nights)
Kilkenny (3 nights)
Trim (2 nights)

I still have 2 days to add in somewhere. These towns aren't set in stone, so if you've stayed somewhere nearby that was good, I'd be willing to change my home base! I'm going to be a single traveler with a car. I'd prefer B&Bs over hostels, but a private room in a hostel would be fine. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 12:13 PM

Hello! We're going in April, and here is where we've chosen to stay:

Dingle- Emlagh Lodge
http://www.emlaghlodge.com/

Kenmare- Seanua B&B
http://www.seanua.com/

Kinsale- The Olde Bakery
http://www.seanua.com/

I can't yet vouch for these, but they seem to have good reviews here and on TripAdvisor. All are under 80E per room.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 01:27 PM

Cullinans in Doolin is a very nice place, although the hostess was very reserved, unlike the other hostesses I met along my travels in Ireland who were exceptionally warm and friendly.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 02:13 PM

I agree with aggiegirl about Cullinan's. As for the host every B&B owner has their own personality. Maybe Carol Cullinan is just shy. Sometimes shyness comes across in ways that is hard for the observer to identify.

chemgirl, Do a search here on each place you want to stay and you will get many recommendations. For other Ireland only sites that have personal recommendations for B&Bs do a google search with words such as "ireland where to stay" or "ireland recommended places to stay" (without the quote marks). Check Trip Advisor (let the user beware. B&B owners have been known to post their own reviews on Trip Advisor!)
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 03:14 PM
CU

To find a good B&B in anyplace you want to stay go to www.townandcountry.ie also
www.bedandbreakfastireland.net
If you want accommodation a bit above the rest:
www.premierguesthouses.com
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 03:26 PM

Since websites are being mentioned these two also have B&Bs, hotels & guesthouses: http://www.familyhomes.ie/ and http://www.irelandhotels.com

There are plenty of crummy accommodations listed on all the mentioned websites. They are a starting point but the person using them must discern between the good and bad places. That is why reviews and personal recommendations are so important. The person planning the trip must be willing to do some work to find the best.

Old Feb 27th, 2006, 03:56 PM

We are more the "free-lance" type travelers and usually NEVER commit ourselves to a place to stay.
Based on our experience,after finding an area/village you want to stay, just check at local pub, and they will recommend a nice B&B. At that point you are able to actually look at the house and it is much easier to know if it is for you.
Also note that along the back roads (are there any other?) you will see dozens and dozens of little signs hanging out in front of homes advertising a room.
How can you possibly decide where you will want to spend your time when you have yet to visit that village.!
Of course we never waited late in day to find a place. Do it at 4-5. Never had a problem and almost all were wonderful experiences (and no bad ones) and we would never do it "pre-arranged". We would have missed the best part of trip!
That is just us, of course.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 04:46 PM

I was in Ireland last July and enjoyed it so much. I really loved our stay at the Greenmount House in Dingle. 5 minute walk to town, beautifully decorated and comfortable room, luscious breakfast. The Olde Bakery in Kinsale was charming. The hosts, Chrissy and Tom Quigley, were so warm and friendly. I would not go back to Doolin. Found it the least interesting and less able to deal with tourists than any other place I visited. It was summer and it was so packed that there were not enough restaurants or pubs for all. No way could one hear the traditional Irish music with only 3 pubs that were packed full early in the evening.Very disappointing. I did not travel to the other places on your itinerary. You'll have a terrific time!
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 05:09 PM

I haven't stayed here, but this was highly recommended for a place to stay at Portmagee:

http://www.stayatbeachcove.com/mainpage.htm
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 07:38 PM

Budman,

Beach Cove is on the other side of the Skellig Ring from Portmagee. It is right across the road from St. Finian's Bay and the beach. It is okay but no raves. A standard B&B but clean enough. You would stay there for the views not the rooms anyway. Nothing much around but the beach.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 08:11 PM

Greenmount HOuse in Dingle is wonderful. Good view, nice hosts, nice rooms AND the BEST and most inclusive breakfast in all of Ireland (some say).
And WE liked it! Parking right outside

In Kinsale we stayed at The Old Presbytery, close to town, but again very nice hosts, on a hill (in town), but it has it's own parking in the back, accessed through a stone entrance. Very interesting building!
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 09:09 AM

Of the places you want to go here are some B&B we stayed at and loved.
Dingle-Emlaugh Lodge (very clean, nice views righ t on the water 5 min walk to town and you do not here the noise from town- great rate)

Kenmare-Virginias Guest House(right in town, great breakfast chices and delicious-great rate) I also have heard the Lodge(?) or maybe it was The SHores?? was a great place to stay.

Kinsale-The Old Presbytery- a little more pricey but so is the rest of Kinsale. Beautiful place as the
MARI5 explained we even had a view of the harbor. This place had the best breakfasts on our trip!
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 09:47 AM

I will be staying in Kilkenny in June/July at Alcantra, a B&B right in town, and highly recommended on www.irelandyes.com -- a nice board for Ireland questions. You may want to go there and ask Michelle your questions, as well. I'll let you know how Alcantra is -- when are you traveling?
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 10:15 AM

I have stayed at Cullinans in Doolin twice and found it very nice. Yes, I believe that Carol is just a bit shy. We always arrive in Doolin late in the afternoon and catch the nearby Cliffs at sunset. A quick unpacking and refresh, and we are out to dinner - the stew at McGanns is wonderful. Not sure when you're travelling, but book early if it is anytime after April or before October.

I have stayed at both Greenmount and Heatons in Dingle and loved them both. Greenmount is easier to access downtown from, but not by much. It is an actual home that has been added on to, and the view in incredible. We stayed in one of the larger suites and felt like we were on our honeymoon. Heatons is very new and specially built as a guesthouse. Another great view with easy parking in front, the rooms are very modern and the breakfast closely mimics Greenmount (Drambuie on porridge as opposed to Irish Mist). I think pricing is similar, and IMO you can't go wrong with either one.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 02:34 PM

Chemgirl, I am topping a post titled "Seven days in Ireland in March" that you might find helpful. More B&B suggestions for you.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 12:30 PM

Kenmare: Shelburne Lodge is outstanding; it's been our favorite B&B so far (two trips to Ireland so far, dying to get back soon). Great breakfasts; quiet, helpful hosts; and the house just has a feel of history to it.

It's an easy 10 minute walk into town.

Here's a link:

http://www.shelburnelodge.com/
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

I'll be going the first 2 weeks in Sept (roughly). I'm hoping to hit the end of the tourist season--not totally deserted but not having to fight with umpteen million buses on the road! Should I book everywhere in advance? How far in advance? I like the idea of booking on the fly in case plans change but for my first trip I think I'd probably better play it safe and book early to make sure I can stay in the best places! Besides, my boyfriend & family would probably prefer to have some idea of where I'm going to be on my solo romp so maybe I will book early?? Help!
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 01:23 PM

chemgirl, if there are definite places you want to stay then you would be wise to book them ahead of time to avoid disappointment. It is fun to travel "by the seat of your pants" but you have to be prepared to maybe not get the place you were hoping for. Once you decide where you want to visit, I would book sooner than later. It's also kind of nice at the end of a day to know where you will be instead of having to try and find a place, and I'm sure your family will appreciate it too!
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 01:30 PM

I liked Dalys in Doolin. Not big fans of Cil Breach in Dingle. Also in Dingle, we stayed at Duinin House- you can't really walk to town from there. The road is dark and dangerous with a ditch on both sides. The hostess is wonderful, though.

The Seashore Guest Farmhouse in Kenmare- a big hit with us. It is a little more pricey but the view from the rooms is lovely.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 10:10 AM

We, too are thinking of staying at the Emlagh Lodge in April. Doolin Activity Lodge in Doolin and undecided in Kenmare. We may just wait till we get there to decide just for the fun of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -