The Grand at Trafalgar Square vs Morgan Hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2011, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any insights on this London hotel? I've only found one previous thread. I've been to London several times before and like this location though I have not stayed near TS before. http://www.thegrandattrafalgarsquare.com/index.php
They have offered a double room for single use @174 pounds plus VAT, which is within my budget, but just.

The Morgan, another popular hotel, at Tottenham Court Rd tube stop, has offered a double room for single use at only 100 pounds, breakfast and tax included, so there's quite a difference over 4 days . http://www.morganhotel.co.uk
I don't mind plain, but I do mind shabby.
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 10:45 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Totally apples and oranges. The Morgan is a decent budget hotel and is quite popular due to its location and rates. BTW it isn't at Tottenham Ct Rd tube (though it isn't far). It is right outside the British Museum

The Grand is higher up the posh scale. The Grand would be 'grand' if it wasn't a budget buster.

But whether the new/posh factor is worth nearly £100 a night when you add the VAT/etc is up to you.

As you probably know, both locations are very good but the Grand is walking distance to more sites.
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

janisj, "decent budget hotel" is a helpful summary; thanks for that.
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 12:40 PM

I completely agree, though I'd go so far as to upgrade the Morgan from "decent" to "good." I've stayed in the Morgan and would definitely not call it shabby (our room was a tad dark, but that was the only complaint I had - clean, had everything we needed). However, it's not a luxury hotel. There is no lift, which may or may not be an issue for you. Breakfast is a typical English full - nothing spectacular in my experience, but good.

Both locations are great; one may be slightly more so depending on what exactly you want to do.

I can think of a lot I would rather do with £300, so if it were me, it would be the Morgan without question. But if a nice hotel is a priority for you, the Grand is probably a better choice.
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 12:57 PM

Elaine:

Not sure when you are going but I have booked a weekend in March at the Radisson Edwardian Vanderbilt for £107 (double room plus VAT) per night using a AAA discount. Great location around the corner from the Gloucester Road tube station. Have stayed at this hotel a number of times.

http://www.radissonedwardian.com/lon...7-5bt/gbvander
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

thanks for all of the above. Gloucester Road is a good location, though not where I prefer to be.
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

meant to add: The Morgan not having a lift is not a problem; in any case, they've offered me a 2nd floor room facing the back. I just want to avoid 'depressing', especially when traveling solo.

I wish I could jump to a VERY nice hotel, but will be at least 350 pounds per night. Trouble is, after 6-7 visits to London, I've not yet hit on a hotel I'm totally happy with, except for the Grosvenor House, and I wasn't paying that time. Last time, about 5 years ago, I stayed at the Arosfa on Gower St, and the room, though clean, was much the size of a prison cell (not exaggerating) and with not many more amenities.
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 01:41 PM

I didn't find our room depressing, but judging by other posts on Fodor's, my expectations tend to be lower than some, so it may not be a fair comparison. As I mentioned, I did find it a little dark, but not enough to bother me. We had a twin room on the top floor which had enough room for two adults, though I wouldn't call it extremely spacious. I'm not sure how large the single rooms are.

The decor, TV, etc weren't brand new when we were there, but that has been a year and a half now, so they may have updated. At any rate, everything was clean and in good shape, and in London I'm not really looking for a flat screen TV!
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the details. For 100 pounds I've reserved a double room for single use. Based on my previous London experiences with single rooms in budget hotels, they are just too small for me (and for many people).