Search

The Force is with me. Just need help with details please

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2016, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Force is with me. Just need help with details please

Hello Contributors,

This is a huge year for travel but for the first time in my life I can't seem to pin down where to go. I'm getting a bad case of itchy feet. Not the fungul kind but the feeling only obsessive travelers feel deep in the pit of their souls. I have all of April, May and October to go anywhere in the world not just Europe. Lucky me. That's because I also have no job but money is not a big issue. Maybe somewhere new with nice weather, meaning anywhere in the 60-80F range with delicious food, memorable buildings and architecture and stunning landscape and scenery. I am partial to bustling cities but respite in the country or some where rural is nice for a few days, like 5 days? I can interchange rural urban rural urban plus some water in between would be nice. I've always dreamt of exploring tuscany and the french wine regions but I do not think it will be this year. High chance I might have to be in Sydney in April which is pure perfection because Australia is on my list of where to go before my death so I was thinking of revolving my April within Australia. But that leaves me with May and October. I always hope to see the best of what a place can offer especially the food, art and scenery parts. I don't care to make friends or meet the locals that type of thing. Usually it does happen but I don't go out and seek it. I'm more of an introvert although if you met me you'd be surprised because I have a more upbeat personality. It's weird no one will ever describe me as an introvert but I cannot tell you how much I enjoy being by myself. Seeing people exhausts the crap out of me though when I spend time with people I genuinely enjoy it. I just spaaaace it out. Sorry I digress so yeah, no need to meet peeps but I did a group tour once and found it only mildly discomforting, the rest of it I actually had fun. Hopefully this gives you a little background to help pin point more suitable destinations.
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 12:48 PM

Australia is a very expensive country and Sydney hotel prices are outrageous. If you have hotel points, use them in Sydney otherwise expect to pay around $350 a night for a very average hotel. Your Sheratons and InterContinentals are around $500 a night - and that's not even a room with a view of anything special. I would use Air BnB for Sydney and give hotels a miss completely.

Anyway - where have you already been and don't want to go back to again. That will save people recommending these places.

Your brief - to me - says Italy, Spain or Greece. What about Malta? A gorgeous place and very much off the tourist radar. The Campania region of Italy - Naples in particular - has all those things you seek.
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 01:08 PM

The problem is you need to find where you want to go, as it will be time consuming and expensive. So you need to go somewhere you really want to. Luckily, May and October are both very good months weather-wise for Europe, so you aren't limited that much.

Spain and Italy would be a good idea, but with those months, you aren't limited that much. I haven't been to Asia but suspect that could work out, and it would be closer to Sydney. Ever want to go to Thailand or Vietnam? May and Oct are just the ends of the summer season, so not too bad.
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 01:21 PM

<<I've always dreamt of exploring tuscany and the french wine regions but I do not think it will be this year.>>

Why not? Your answer may help us provide suggestions.
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 01:31 PM

If you are interested in architecture, go to Venice. The Architecture Biennale happens in 2016, from late May to October, and is effectively the Olympics for architects.
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Wow learned a lot already. Had no idea Sydney is that expensive. Is it comparable to NYC? How about Melbourne and Perth is it the same? I was in Venice a few years ago but wouldn't mind going back, so magical there. Reason for not going to tuscany or french wine regions is because I'd like to stay a whole month hopping around the different regions. I suppose I could still do it but feeling more city vibes, perhaps Amsterdam, Berlin, Belgium, Switzerland, Ljubljana, Portugal, Paris, Croatia, Vienna and Malta sounds interesting also. Been to Italy and Spain and will go back later on but not this year. So many places to see! Thanks for the suggestions. $350 dollars is a lot a night, more like $100-250 unless it's incredible then will consider more. Thank you so much and sorry I'm so vague and scattered, still sorting everything out.
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Oh and no I have not been to Vietnam or Thailand. How about Australia and New Zealand then tack on 1 or 2 more Asian coutries like Japan, Indonesia or the Philippines, too many for 2 months April/May? Myanmar also looks amazing.
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 05:24 PM

You don't really 'tack on' anything from Australia. It takes over four hours just to fly from Sydney to Perth. Yes - it is comparable to NYC although in NYC you can eat cheaply - you can't even do that in Sydney unless you stick to the food court places in Haymarket (a giant market that sells fruit & veg, flowers and tons of junk).

Melbourne is marginally cheaper - Perth is expensive. Perth is the most remote city in the world and just about everything has to be flown in so it jacks up the prices.

You could go to Bali from Perth - it is very close and Perth sells a lot of package holidays to Bali which are also cheap.