The Crowds of SAN GIMGIANO Question

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2006, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last time we were in Italy, we explored the Chianti region of Tuscany, but never made it to Sam Gimgiano. This time, we're headed to Montalcino to explore that area, and wanted to stop in San Gim en route from Florence (we're driving).

From everything I read, it is better to visit in the early morning or in the evening because of the crowds, but our schedule will only allow us to visit on Sat., 7/1, sometime at or before noon. I had thought it could be a perfect stopping point on our drive south.

My question is whether you think it will be way too crowded to enjoy, considering we have to park and find a place for lunch. Should we save it , yet again, for the next trip? (Am worried it is too far to drive to once we base ourselves in Montalcino)

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Dina
Old May 13th, 2006, 07:27 AM

Yep - it will be quite crowded, but "too crowded" is a pretty subjective thing. I don't think it's too long of a drive from Florence to Montalcino.

Why can't you get to San G earlier in the morning??? I didn't check mappy, but I'm guessing it's about a 1 to 1/2 hr drive from Florence.

Visit Volterra also.

Stu Dudley
Old May 13th, 2006, 07:30 AM
cmt

San Gimignano (in case you need to search for it)
Old May 13th, 2006, 07:42 AM

We based in Montalcino and did a daytrip to San Gim. After a stop at lovely Monteriggioni, we arrived at San Gim at about noon. Yes, it was crowded, but not too much so that we didn't enjoy ourselves immensely - one of our highlights! We left about 5pm, with about a 90 minute drive back.

I would NOT skip it this time, despite everything you've read (other than here of course). Yes, it would >>be a perfect stopping point<<.
Old May 13th, 2006, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Hi Stu,

We can leave earlier, but I know by that time on our trip, we'll be on European time -- late dinners and to bed after midnight with 2 teenagers. So am worried it will take a while to get up, check out, etc in Florence. But we will definitely try!

1. What time would you say would be good to beat the crowds... before 10am?

2. If we're off to a late start, would Volterra be a better stop? Haven't been there either and would love to go, but I was worried it was too far west.
Thanks for suggesting it because it's only 01h20 from Florence, according to Michelin.

3. Michelin says its 01h19 from Montalcino to San Gim, which is a long drive home after dinner/wine.

P.S. I have so much trouble with mappy being SO slow with my browser (Safari), so I'm limited to the via michelin site.

(and sorry about the spelling error)

Thank you!
Old May 13th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Hi Tuck,
We must have posted at the same time, but I'm so happy to hear you had a great experience at noon!

Happy to hear, also, that you also enjoyed Monteriggioni, which I believe is closer to the main highway.

Hmmm... Monteriggioni or Volterra???
Old May 13th, 2006, 08:45 AM

Monteriggioni or Volterra???

Given the amount of time you have, it'd be Monteriggioni, IMO. Small, easy to get to and park. And, very attractive.
Old May 13th, 2006, 09:24 AM
Neopolitan

At the risk of being obvious, I think it's sort of funny when people look for alternative destinations to avoid "crowds". Most places are crowded because for one reason or another they have more to offer. You can choose another town over San G to avoid the crowds, but you should be aware that most of the other hill towns won't have nearly as much to "see" as San G, which is a fascinating place. The extreme of this would be like saying "We've really always wanted to go to Venice and Paris, but we heard they're crowded with tourists so we've decided to go to Frankfurt and Metz instead.

Old May 13th, 2006, 09:27 AM

dina,

We loved Monteriggioni...it is very tiny, but if you get a late start, I suggest you consider lunch at Il Pozzo, right on the town square...well known for its very good food...afterwards we walked outside the walls through the olive groves on the hillside...a lovely stop for us.
Old May 13th, 2006, 10:30 AM

We've stayed overnight in San G four times, and it's not that crowded till about 11:00 or so. Our trips have always been in Sept, however. I think July 1 will be more crowded.

Driving out of Florence won't be fun. I sure would want to roust everyone up as early as possible in the am to avoid the traffic, which gets heavier as the day goes on. This alone would be a reason to leave early in the morning.

Not as many of the tour bus day-trippers make it over to Volterra. I would leave Florence at 8:00, get to San G about 9:30, leave San G around 11:30 or 12, and drive to Volterra for lunch and a visit.

Stu Dudley
Old May 13th, 2006, 01:51 PM
SHADRACH

I totally agree with Neopolitan.

and I certainly don't mean to be rude Dina4 and I do understand your concern, but we are tourists/trevellers ourselves so I can't understand how can anybody expect to be the only one in a beautiful place or be mad because other people "exactly like us" want to visit "the same place we want". That's like asking for the non-smokers area at a restaurant (when you are a smoker yourself) so that you can enjoy smoking much better.

Old May 13th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

Tuck, Traviata and Stu, thanks so much for the tips. We'll play it by ear depending on how early we get out of Florence and how much time we have. I'm really looking forward to it.

Neo and Shadrach-
I know exactly what you mean. Crowded places are crowded for a reason! However, I feel like some places get more over-run with tourists during certain times, and if I could visit that place at a different time on another trip and enjoy it more, I might pass since there's plenty else to see and do in the area.
(Neo -- I had no idea that San Gim was on par with Paris and Venice as "not to be missed". You've really encouraged me to stop there!)

<<I can't understand how can anybody expect to be the only one in a beautiful place or be mad because other people "exactly like us" want to visit "the same place we want">>
Shadrach-- You say you were trying not to be rude; however, I reread my post and not sure how trying to avoid hordes of tour bus crowds could be interpreted as wanting to be the "only one" in a beautiful place, or where you figured I would be "mad" if I wasn't. Further, to suggest that not wanting to be among huge crowds is somehow as rude or dishonest as asking for a no smoking section just so one could enjoy smoking more?!
Old May 14th, 2006, 03:16 AM

dina,

If you decide on Monteriggioni for a lunch stop, reservations would be advised for Il Pozzo...especially on a Saturday in July...the town is so small, there aren't many alternatives and it is very popular....Have a great trip!
Old May 14th, 2006, 03:48 AM

"Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded."

Yogi Berra
Old May 14th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Traviata. Il Pozzo sounds great.
Dina