The Boss in Dublin

Old Jan 14th, 2008, 06:10 PM
PMJ
Original Poster

The Boss in Dublin

Going to Dublin in May to see Springsteen at the RDS. Not as big a whim as it sounds; younger daughter is going to school in Galway this year. Anyway, can anyone tell me where RDS (Royal Dublin Society- site of the concert) is? Are there any good hotels/b&b's by there, or are we better off to stay somewhere else? Stayed near Grafton St/St. Stephen's Green/Trinity a couple years ago and loved being able to walk to everything. Would appreciate any suggestions.
signed, Big Boss Fan
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 08:48 PM

Cool!

http://www.rds.ie/home/index.aspx?id=19

The RDS is situated in Ballsbridge, Dublin 4. It is located between The Four Seasons Hotel and Herbert Park on Merrion Road. There are other hotels in the area.

Search for hotels: http://www.irelandhotels.com/

Old Jan 15th, 2008, 01:43 AM

At the moment the Old Jury's hotel and Berkely court have closed and re- opened as a budget hotel while they await planning permission to tear them down. I think they combined are called D4 hotel. Rooms are under 100 euro and they are great value especially as the Berkley court is a former 4-5 star hotel and still quite grand in the bar and lobby./ Alternatively there are loads of B&B's and Bewleys hotel is across from the 4 seasons and literally a skip over to the RDS and also at the 99 euro mark.

Iwsaw Springsteen a few years back in the RDS, great fun and great show. Tix prices are just crazy these days so I passed on this one.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 04:36 AM

PMJ:

How great! To see the BOSS in Ireland!!

You have to report back about the concert.

Ya think that guy BONO might show up???

Old Jan 15th, 2008, 06:27 AM

Its funny how people think Bono is this elusive god like figure when in Dublin if your really want to see him you just need to hang out a few places and eventually you will see him. Everyone here has a Bono story! I think he is a normal guy (kinda short) with a wife and kids and goes on the rip on occasion. Still love the music and persona but he is more real to me.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 06:47 AM

One of my male friends is a real Springsteen fan and went to see him years ago in Dublin. He did lots of research and found out where he was going for dinner while he was in Dublin and then booked a table in the same restaurant. The Boss went to the loo and my friend followed him. They were both standing at the urinal and my friend was so star struck he couldn't pee. He was rather embarrassed. If you are going to stalk - practise your lines beforehand and don't stare in the urinal.

I have lots of Bono stories - including a very convoluted one where my friends and I in a drunken haze were pretending to be the Rolling Stones in a bar in a remote part of the west of Ireland on a Sunday afternoon - when Bono and the boys came in. What a laugh we had then.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 12:10 PM

Well I think they are both cut out of the same cloth ( and a short one at that!) Both are 'fan friendly favorites"

I, living here in New Jersey, have had a few Springsteen sightings. The best part is no one bothers him! Unlike the Britney Spears paparazzi

Love U2, seen them quite a few times...love Springsteen/East Street Band, seen them quite a few times.

OOPs, let get back to travel......

Being in Dublin to see Springsteen has to be just a magical setting!!
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 03:34 AM

I'm originally from New Jersey myself and grew up on Springsteen. I only ever went to concerts in Byrne arean (a purist!) he is great live but nothing like a NJ concert in the summer. U2 and Springsteen are probably the best live performances I have ever been to. I saw U2 here in Croke park 2 years ago. We spent our first night in the new apartment dowwn the road that night. They were amazing as well, great energy.

My other half saw Bono and co in a nightclub last Christmas absolutely fubar. He said it was funny to see him out on the rip like everyone else as christmas pissed on the dancefloor. Hey we are all human and dance like fools drunk!
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 09:36 AM

So do we get to know which restraunt?
Have seen Bruce in a few countries over the years and Ireland is certainly up there with the best - roll on May