Gresham Hotel, Dublin, Ireland???

May 23rd, 2004, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Gresham Hotel, Dublin, Ireland???

Any one stay at the Gresham Hotel in Dublin on O'Connell St???? How would you rate the rooms, the location???
May 23rd, 2004, 08:58 AM

Gresham Hotel is a good choice - Oconnell St is ideal for shopping and for night life
May 24th, 2004, 10:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Peteram. How recently have you stayed there, or are you a native of Dublin?
May 25th, 2004, 12:28 AM

Mike - I think you posted this twice, as both myself and Siobhan replied to a similar thread about it yesterday. Neither of us would recommend the Gresham - the location is not very good (I wouldn't walk around there at night) and you can certainly get better hotels for the same price.
May 25th, 2004, 12:29 AM

Mike - I just clicked on your name and found the other thread.

FYI - Siobhan and I both live in Dublin.
May 25th, 2004, 07:08 AM

I just booked at the Gresham! Cailin, tell me why O'connell street is scary at night! I also thought it was a good location for pubs and such (based on other posts). Got the rate of 115 euros (a special) and it usually rates much higher. Can you recommend another hotel where the action is with ac for that rate? Thanks!
May 25th, 2004, 07:23 AM

at night it becomes quite a seedy part of town - I wouldn't be happy - especially towards the Parnell Square end which is where the Gresham is. There are quite a few dodgy characters in the area. Also, the pubs and bars around there would not be places I would go to - they tend to be frequented by a rather rough crowd. You would be safer anywhere just south of the river. It's amazing what a difference a few hundred metres can make in Dublin! Also, the better bars and restaurants tend to be in & around Grafton Street. Siobhan made these hotel suggestions yesterday. I would imagine they're in & around the same budget as the Gresham, but in better locations:

Russell Court - Harcourt Street
Leeson Inn - Leeson Street
Jurys Inn - Christchurch
Trinity Lodge - South Frederick Street
Buswells - Molesworth Street
Brown's - St Stephens green (NOT Gardiner Street)
May 25th, 2004, 07:33 AM

It never occurs to me that people would go to a pub in the area...I would not really reccommend this as you are in a more inner city area and the local pubs are more local not in a twee Irish sense but a tougher city sense. The pubs I would go out to are closer to Grafton street and I am not being a snob but its just where I prefer and feel safer. Remember, to some people tourists are targets in any country.

To sum it up Cailin will know this...they have little signs on the tables in the bar of the Gresham to mind your bags at all time. What a turn off...I have NEVER seen this anywhere in Ireland before. It not the worst hotel but you get nicer surroundings for the money elsewhere closer to St Stephens Green.
May 25th, 2004, 09:17 AM

Another vote against the Gresham and the general area. I always advise visitors to stick to the south side of the Liffey unless they have some compelling reason to go over the North side. Calin is SO right about the area and its been like that for as long as I can remember! The shopping in the area is pretty dismal and there are no decent restuarants.

I stay with family when I go back (every three months) so I have no personal experience of the hotels. However, I love the location of both Browns (Stephen's Green, but appears to have some bad reviews on Tripadvisor) and La Stampa (Dawson Street). If you are willing to stay a little further out, friends have stayed at Bewley's hotel in Ballbridge and were pleased.

regards Ger
May 25th, 2004, 11:58 PM

O'Reilly, the shopping on Henry street is great with all the high street store and department stores...its fine in the day so don't rulle out shopping here its just the Gresfham is further up O'Connell Street.

Browns and La Stampa are good as well but a bit more expensive than the rates you were paying.