Dublin and Ireland

Search

Dublin and Ireland

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dublin and Ireland

My daughter and I will be in Dublin in late August. I am looking for a small hotel/B&B in Dublin that we can make our home base for a week. We may head out for a couple of nights in the country. Any suggestions for day trips?Hotels? B&B's?
Old May 16th, 2009, 06:07 PM

We are also going in late August and have booked the Best Western Premier Academy Plaza Hotel- a mouthful for the "Best Western" but I want to be sure you have the right one. We booked off of Orbitz at $125.04 a night. It is far less expensive than many others we looked at. We hope it suits- clean and safe are all we ask. There are many web sites for B &B's and hotels- Also there are many threads here that give basic itineries from Dublin. We are heading South and then across to the west coast as we fly out of Shannon. A few years ago, we spent two weeks driving the south west of Ireland and did not get to Dublin- this time we are starting there to make sure we see everything the city has to offer.
You may find enough to do in Dublin for the week.
Old May 16th, 2009, 06:19 PM

We stayed at the Schoolhouse hotel in Dublin and loved it. http://www.schoolhousehotel.com/
Old May 16th, 2009, 09:55 PM

Make sure there's no disco in the hotel! You don't want to be sleepless for a week.
Old May 19th, 2009, 05:03 PM

You may wish to consider staying in Dun Laoghaire, which is only about a 20 minute train ride outside of the city, but which will afford you some wonderful and affordably B&B choices. We stayed at Lynden B&B (Maria Gavin - fantastic hostess!)

Chris
Old May 21st, 2009, 01:01 PM

I guess I have another question. How do you plan to make your day trips? Are they by car or by tour? I do not reccommend having a car in Dublin. The city center is very compact and where you need to get away from it a bit, the public transportation is pretty good. You can do tours to Wicklow and Newgrange (south and north) from Dublin.

I stayed at the Academy Plaza also and liked it. It isn't small, but it seems well maintained and it's great for accessibility. The airport buses drop you within a halp block of the place. Also, comparing prices, check the Best Western Royal Dublin too which is right across the street from the bus stop.. My room at the Academy was fine but if I had to keep the window open at night it would have been very loud. The back porch of a few clubs were right out the window.

Bill