Ireland reunion

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 05:47 PM
Kathleen

Ireland reunion

My family will be traveling to Ireland in June of next year, ages ranging from 18-75. We are going to self cater in Dingle for one week(easy choice), but are having trouble deciding on the 2nd location. We have decided to stay a week near the town of Kells in Meath because of its convenience to Dublin,and our ancestors are from nearby Ballyjamesduff,where we intend to visit. However,some feel that this area does not have the great natural beauty of other locations. Has anyone stayed in this area, and do you think a week there would work out. We will have 13 people with only 2 drivers. We found a place called Headfort Demesne,within walking distance of Kells. Any information on the area,town,or mews houses would be greatly appreciated. We havent booked anything yet because of indecision. Thanks, Kathleen

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 05:50 AM
Kate

I spent two nights in Kells last summer and that was quite enough. (We stayed there because it was close to Dublin and we wanted to make a quick stop at Tara and it was close enough to start off the next day to Slane/Drogheda. I wouldn't think there would be enough to see in the Kells area to spend a whole week. The town of Kells itself didn't have a whole lot to see.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 06:48 AM
Paul

Kells is a good 80km (50 miles) from Dublin. While it's nice little farming town, there is nothing spectacular about it (no castles and that sort of thing) and you would be bored if you spent 5 days there. Why don't you have Dublin as a base and visit Kells and the Boyne Valley on a dialy trip (Jury's Inn near Christchurch in Dublin - goob value for money and centrally located). <BR>

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 07:32 AM
Kathleen

Thanks for the info about Kells. The reason we did not select Dublin is because the majority of people would rather be in the countryside, but the younger ones would like to visit Dublin. Apparently, a bus goes into Dublin from there. With such a large group with different priorities we are having a rough time. Self catering,with a place within walking distance to a town,is a must so I am hoping to find a great spot for a week.Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated since it seems that overall Kells would not be a great choice. Thanks, Kathleen

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 07:57 AM
bill

Paul:<BR><BR>Wow, someone else who stayed at Jury's Christchurch and liked it! Others here have blasted it as being filthy and old but I had a much different experience! Good to know that there are others out there like me who are apparently equally unrefined (heh heh).<BR><BR>Kathleen: None-the-less, I'm not sure I would use central Dublin as a touring base. It's much more expensive and, if you're driving, much harder to get in and out of. There is certainly self catering outside of Dublin and you could either go north or south from there. I really love the Antrim Coast in NI, but that may be too far. <BR><BR>Yikes, 2 drivers and 13 people? The rest of the group should pay their airfare and subsequent psycho therapy. 5 or 6 backseat drivers on narrow roads in Ireland has me trembling at the tought of it.<BR><BR>Bill

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 05:35 AM
Siobhan

Kathleen,<BR><BR>I live in Dublin and wouuld not reccommend Kells for a long period. There really isn't enough to do there. My reccommendation would be wicklow as there is something for everyone as well as getting a bus to Dublin. Stay just south of Dublin in Enniskerry where the Powerscourt Townhouse is Located with <BR>beautiful gardens and lovely waterfall nearby. As well it's a short drive to Glendolough where there are lovely walks and some of Braveheart scenes were filmed here. It has lovely walks and it's Famous for St. Kenin (have no idea!). Yjis is a picturesque area south of Dublin but accessible by bus. As well bray is a 15 minute drive from Enniskerry and its a seaside town. Some love it some hate it. Not sure myself as I was only there once in the winter. About 1 hr from Enniskerry is Avoca where Ballykissangel was filmed and the Avova weavers shop is there for great Sweaters and Irish crafted items. I feel there is far mnore for you in Wicklow and enjoyable for all ages.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 06:31 PM
Kathleen

Siobhan:<BR> Thanks for the information. I have looked at Bray and Enniskerry as I knew the Dart went down to Bray. It is difficult to find self catering for so many. I did find a website in Ashford which is slightly north of Wicklow town. It is an equestrian lodge and has holiday self catering facilities. The name is Belair. It looked great and they do take non equestrians, though we do have quite a few horse lovers. If anyone has heard of this place please let me know what you think. When you plan to spend a week somewhere you do want it to be a place where you are comfortable. Any info on the village of Ashford would be greatly appreciated. We all love music,pubs, and good craic! Thanks, Kathleen

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 07:55 PM
tash

hi-- uhhh could someone tell me what craic means? An irish fellow asked me a few weeks ago--whats the craic? and I didn't now what he was talking about. thank you and sorry for my ignorance.<BR>

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 01:57 AM
Siobhan

Kathleen,<BR><BR>Ashford would not be bad. I do not know the equestrian centre but check out the website for it and I am sure it will be good. Ask them about busses to Dublin and timetables. As for the town I have only been through it on the way south but I think its nice. There will be plenty of pubs and things to do within driving distance. I think its a good cjhjoice for a varied group.<BR><BR>Tash - craic is an irish word meaning "good times or fun". You often see the words Ceol agus Craic outside pubs which means music and fun inside. It's still one of the few words that exists in every day conversations here. The language is barely spoken except for islands and more remote areas here although there is a small revival in recent years

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 12:30 PM
Cathy

Kathleen,<BR><BR>I spend quite alot of time in and around the Kells area including Cavan and Ballyjamesduff so perhaps I can offer you some advice. One avoid Dublin and that includes getting through Dublin from anywhere - the link road around Dublin the M50 may seem like a good idea to take if you plan on staying in Wicklow but it is not. A day trip to Dublin and a hop on hop off toour would be my recommendation.<BR><BR>Kells itself is not as one contributor wrote a nice little farming town - it is in fact a commuter town for the greater Dublin area. The Headford demense you mentioned is on the grounds of a former landlord's country home - a large country house. It is on the Dublin side of the town and next to the Headford golf club - one of the top clubs in Ireland. However traffic on the main Kells-Navan-Dublin road is crazy in both volume and speed. Kells does have, like Navan a frequent bus link to and from Dublin which would be excellent for those wishing to go to the city. However there is an hourly bus service to Dublin through Cavan town, Virginia and onwards through Kells and Dublin so you can widen your search to perhaps Cavan town.<BR><BR>Avoid going too far from Ballyjamesduff - and Antrim is certainly too far if you plan to spend a lot of time around the Ballia duff area (that is what the locals call Ballyjamesduff). The North of Ireland is certainly beautiful but you can do a day trip from the Balladuff area to the Cooley region in Louth and cross the border into Newry to shop if you want to. Wicklow is also a long drive either around Dublin and down to Balladuff (very heavy traffic) or cross country (worse roads but less traffic).<BR><BR>So that is all the reasons why I think you should re-look at staying in either Meath or Cavan - Cavan town is a good option as it is not far from Balladuff (20 minutes or less) and it is a medium size town with regular bus service to Dublin, good resuarants and pubs. It is bigger than Kells - which is worth a visit to the Heritage Centre and the Round Tower and monastery. If you are interested in ancient passage like those in Newgrange you could visit Loughcrew outside the town of check out these two web sites www.loughcrew.com,<BR>www.meathtourism.ie<BR>There are several equestrain centres in the region including in the Mountnugent area and some beautiful lakeside scenes through Cavan and North Meath but especially around Lough Sheelin and the Mountnugent area. If you decide to base yourself in Cavan town then you should head west in to West Cavan and Leitrim for some great scenery.<BR><BR>Hope this helps,<BR><BR>Cathy

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 09:59 PM
Ryn

Just a note to point out that the "fun" referred to in the context of craic is usually interpreted as "lively conversation," which may or may not appeal to your twentysomethings as much as it will your 70-somethings. I always find that in the pubs I frequent in the Gaeltacht, American politics is the topic I'm most likely to be asked questions about, followed closely by my opinions on various American country music artists. Of course, up there they don't get all that many American tourists, and certainly not that many who have the Gaelic.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 07:11 AM
Kathleen

Cathy,<BR> Thanks for all the great information.It is very hard to judge traffic by looking at the map, and the last thing we want is to be fighting traffic in Dublin and getting involved in daily commutes. I am going to send your reply to the others. With so many going we all have different opinions, and being a group of Oreillys we all think ours is the best.One of the latest ideas is to fly in a few days earlier and visit Ballyjamesduff, and then move on to a selfcatering place in Mayo. One of these days we will figure it out. Ryn, I got a kick out of your country music remark as we noticed last year how popular it was in Ireland. I have often noticed many similarities in our bluegrass music to traditional irish music, so why not country to irish ballads. Ill take an Irish tenor over a twang anyday, however. Thanks, Kathleen

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 10:35 AM
Ann

That's the first time I've ever heard anyone say anything good about Cavan! Travel there on a regular basis for football (Gaelic) matches, and see no other reason to go anywhere near there.<BR><BR>If you want natural beauty, stay somewhere in the Wicklows. You're near Dublin, but you'd never know it.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 04:02 AM
Siobhan

Kathleen,<BR><BR>Ann is right. Staying in Cavan is a trip wasted when there is far more to do and more natural beauty in Wicklow. Before I get berated my dad is from Cavan! Wicklow is ideal and dublin is not horrible to get round unless its rush hour like any other city. Use public transport as it is easier and faster (there are special bus lanes and you will fly up the motorway when there is traffic jams if you take a bus!)<BR><BR>You will have far more to offer all age groups in wicklow and the Equestrian centre sounds like a great idea. I vaguely know of it but is ideal for a greoup like yours.<BR><BR>