Opinions on Dublin

Search

Opinions on Dublin

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2005, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions on Dublin

I'm going to Ireland, landing in Shannon. I was thinking about visiting Dublin, but have heard frequent comments that it is very expensive and "just another big city."

I'd appreciate an opinions on whether it is tourist-worthy.
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 11:58 AM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
I enjoyed Dublin very much. It's not Paris or London - but that doesn't mean it's not worth seeing! It has its own charms. I enjoyed the Trinity College Tour, St. Patrick's Cathedral, and especially the tour of the jail where numerous political prisoners were held early in the 20th century. And, of course, there's the Guinness Brewery (we skipped that but I believe many find it quite interesting). I think it's well worth at least a full day (we arrived around noon and spent two nights - which I think was about right). On the other hand, I must say that I enjoyed western Ireland MORE - but still, I'm very glad we included Dublin for the change of pace and a city view of Ireland. Enjoy.
Karen
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 01:01 PM

I assume you are flying into and out of Shannon. If so, I would probably leave Dublin for another trip (which you will undoubtedly want to make!). There's so much to see in the west and southwest that will fill your time (don't know how long you have). To drive to Dublin and then have to hightail it back to Shannon to leave would be a pain. However, if you do want to see Dublin, which is definitely worth a couple days, you might see if you can change your flight so you then leave from Dublin. That would be a very doable plan. I prefer the west of Ireland, but Dublin is definitely worth a look.
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 01:24 PM

I stayed a week in Dublin once, when my sister lived there. There were some nice things to see, especially the Trinity College tour (she was a student there at the time). But the most enjoyable part, to me, was just hanging out with the locals.

In sum: not that much to see, but nice & interesting people. And a week was about 4 or 5 days too many.
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 05:07 PM

Well, first of all Dublin really isn;t a big city. In fact, its kind of a smallish one. It has a huge number of things to see and do - a lot of them unique and representative of various eras of Irish history - asuming this is an interest of yours - as it is to most travelers in ireland. Can;t imagine going to Ireland without Dublin - unless you're doing strtictly a golfing vacation.
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 05:19 PM

I was very disappointed in Dublin. I'm sure it's a nice enough place, but it's just a city - doesn't have the buzz and excitement of London, the beauty and charm of Paris, the history of Rome - but it does have the same dirt and traffic that other big cities have. Compared to lots of cities in the US (and Europe too) it's a nice enough place, but there are so many other wonderful cities in Euopre that are much more interesting. And most importantly - it's not what most people (me at least) go to Ireland to see. The west coast is wonderful - even some of the interior and the south coast were much more enjoyable to me than Dublin. The coast, the small towns, the old castles - those are what I think of when I think of Ireland. I wished I had skipped Dublin.

My sincere appologies to all the Dublin lovers out there. But I wish I had asked this question before my trip to Ireland.
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 05:32 PM

I enjoyed my visit to Dublin. Definitely not disappointed. I spent 6 days there - would go back again. Yes, it's not London or Paris or Rome. I'm glad it's not. Dublin has some nice museums. The Abbey Theatre has some good productions. Trinity College is worth a visit. Phoenix Park and the Dublin Zoo are great. I also took day trips to Powerscourt and Glendalough. I went in mid Jan a couple of years ago and the memory of some beautiful countryside and the warmth of the people remain with me still. Ireland is special.
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 07:16 PM

You don't say how long you are going to be in Ireland, or when (time of year). Most poster's advice to "skip Dublin" are based on the following assumptions:
1) You are going for 7-10 days.
2) You are flying into AND out of Shannon.
3) You want to see EVERYTHING, and MOST of EVERYTHING is in the West.

Dublin is a great, busy, physically small, but extremely densely packed city. There is lots to do and see in and around the area AND the people there are terrific ...
BUT ...
You can not do Dublin justice (nor the rest of Ireland) in just a week or two and a 'whirlwind fly-by' of attractions will do neither you, nor the country justice.

We have been six times in the last five years and trip #7 is already booked for this June. I have been to Dublin three of those times yet we have still seen less than 1/3 of what the country, and Dublin have to offer.
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 07:58 PM

I think Dublin is a wonderful city with a distinctive character. As others have said, it's not London, Paris, etc.; it's Dublin. I'd expected a rather gloomy version of Edinburgh, with an oppressive Gothic feel. Instead, it's a lovely Georgian city architecturally, and the people have a Mediterranean sense. If you want the phoney Ireland of "The Quiet Man" stay away from Dublin. But if you want to get a feel for an interesting, complicated country, spend some time there.
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 04:17 AM
Original Poster

There's only one Dublin, right? (Not counting Dublin California or Dublin, Ohio.) From the responses, it sounds like people are talking about 2 or 3 different ones!

I probably should have been more specific:

1. I'll be in Ireland 7-8 days, of which 3 will be taken up by business in the southwest.

2. I'm not Irish and don't have any particular interest in heritage stuff.

3. I am flying in and out of Shannon.

4. I really hate people who post things like "If you want the phoney Ireland of "The Quiet Man" stay away from Dublin."
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 04:54 AM

Imhornet,

In your most recent posting you say;

"I really hate people who post things like "If you want the phoney Ireland of "The Quiet Man" stay away from Dublin."

There's no point in asking people for their opinions (which you originally said you would "appreciate&quot and then taking a pop at them when they go to the trouble of replying.

Maybe you were speaking tongue in cheek, but if so it doesn't come over that way (not to me anyway).

Joe has given you his honest opinion on Dublin & FWIW in the main I agree with him - although I'm not so sure about the Mediterranean comparison!

Jim
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 06:25 AM

Given your replies to my questions, I would recommend that you stick with the Southwest. Dublin is approximately 6 hours from Cork or Limmerick via train, plane or automobile (if you factor in travel to/from airport, early arrival for flight, etc.)

Cork is scheduled to be the 'European City of Culture' in 2005. Most activities are scheduled for summer, but there will doubtless be activities scheduled throughout the year. Check out the offered entertainment at the Lobby Bar. They have a website.
Kinsale is the pleasure boating capital of Ireland and is also considered the Gormet capital as well. Oldest Yacht Club in the world. Golf at nearby Old Head.
Clonakilty. Music, scenery. Try DeBarra's for entertainment.
Killarney. Because 500 years of Tourists can't ALL be wrong. The Granary for music, or pretty much any pub, as well.
Limmerick. Yeah, it used to be called "Stab City", but that was years ago. Active music scene (Donneley's?), historic edifices, golf nearby at Ballybunnion, or go the tourist route at Bunratty Castle and Folk Park.
I didn't mention Beara, Mizen Head, Dingle, Kenmare, etc., etc., as you have expressed no interest in being a Tourist. If you have a few days to kill and want a glimpse of Ireland, this is what I would recommend. The Celtic Tiger is roaring, louder and stronger than ever. You see it in the people's attitudes, in the pervasive, continuous building and repair of existing buildings. No 'Wee People' or Hat in Hand peasants, but proud, fun-loving folk.
Rent a car and drive a loop for 2 or 3 days to check out the locations that appeal to your interests, by all means, but save some time to sit in a pub and chat up, or be chatted up by the locals, because there-in lies the true appeal of Ireland.
And, did I even MENTION the scenery???
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 06:33 AM

I pretty much agree with Joe's posting: The fact is that a lot of Americans and Canadians have this preconceived notion of Ireland being filled with old men in flat caps riding bikes, red-haired children picking potatoes, and thatched roof cottages, and nothing else. Dublin is a shock for them because it's a modern city (with plenty of history--not in Rome's league, but being able to touch the bullet holes in the GPO is pretty cool). Aside from the traffic, Dublin is a great place, and well worth a visit. It is expensive, but so is the rest of the Republic of Ireland.

I've also found that many of the people who don't like Dublin also have a preconceived notion about my part of Ireland--the north. They think it's like Beirut, and instead of finding out something about it, they automatically stay away.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

"There's no point in asking people for their opinions (which you originally said you would "appreciate&quot and then taking a pop at them when they go to the trouble of replying."

An opinion is one thing. An arrogant, childish and snide remark is another.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 02:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
For someone like me, who majored in English Lit and took a graduate course in James Joyce, Dublin is one of those places that I was aching to go to, VERY tourist-worthy, and did not disappoint me at all. We spent 5 days there and would go back in a heart-beat.

We went in the summer of 2003, so based on the dollar to the Euro as of then, I thought it was pretty cheap, comparatively speaking, and the weather was great (we were there after leaving London's 102 degree heat). The people were friendly, the pubs crowded, the music good and lots of fun. Very good place to live, I thought.

Old Jan 24th, 2005, 06:27 AM

I don't think that you have to go to Dublin to experience Ireland. I think Dublin is very difficult to experience in a day and with that little time, you will probably not walk a way with a good feeling. You would certainly want to have at least some interest in Irish history to visit the city because the bulk of the attractions are about history (as I guess is the case in most cities).

I like Dublin, but I've visited Ireland without going there also. With the time frame that you have, I agree with Itallian though I don't put Killarney or Limerick high on my list. I am, by the way, not a big city person and more of a scenery person, so my opinions might be a bit tainted. Consider Galway as another possible "city" to visit.

Bill
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 07:37 AM

Dublin has a lot going for it but you need to be a bit proactive as well. Its does not always jump out at you. Last year from March to June it was a fantastic time in Dublin (I live here). There was an outdoor day with stall from all the EU countries when they joined last spring and qwe held the EU presidency. It was a realy lively festival atmosphere. St Patricks day has lots of events leading up to the day and many arts groups join and preform prior to the parade. Chinese new year was celebrated with chinese dancing, music and food over a few days and finally the Joyce fest where they served free breakfast on O'Connell Street to the people of Dublin (You had to pick up a free ticket in advance). All of these activities were FREE and myself and a group went to all of these events. Check out what's on at www.wow.ie or www.eventguide.ie. The film fest in on in February if anyone is interested!
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 07:51 AM

Hi Imhornet, funny you mentioned Dublin, Ohio. I've been to both (Ohio and Ireland) and found both interesting. Not yet to Dublin, California, but it is in my to do list.