DUBLIN: a "MUST-SEE" or a WASTE of time?

Old Aug 4th, 2005, 10:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DUBLIN: a "MUST-SEE" or a WASTE of time?

Is Dublin a must-see or a waste of time? Please tell us why?

I am planning on spending 2 nights in Dublin on our first family trip to Ireland next summer. (Unless you talk me out of it!) Any tips for making sure our visit is worthwhile?

We are planning to make Dublin our last stop. We will turn in our car, and rely on public transportation for Dublin.

Dublin will be the last stop, after visiting Dingle Peninsula, Western Ireland (Cliffs of Moher, Burren), Killarney National Park, Cashel (or Galway), Boyne Valley (Trim, Newgrange), and Northern Ireland (where my Irish grandmother came from.)

Thanks for your thoughts on Dublin!
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 11:41 PM

I liked Dublin, mainly because it's on the sunny side of Ireland. But also because of the connections with great literature - from the remarkable Book of Kells to James Joyce and Oscar Wilde - and my friend's friend, a famous Irish playwright. We had some wonderful food.

So Dublin means for me great literature, great conversation, good friends, and terrific food.

Your visit to any place to what you make it. Hope you will find Dublin a must-see also!
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 12:15 AM

I live here so I think its great but its not everyones cup of tea. Dublin is a small city and very walkable. There is enough to keep you busy for 2 days and relax before you head home. What are your interests and what do you like to do? This will give us a better idea for suggestions for you.

S
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 12:23 AM

I loved Dublin and can't really see how anyone could dislike it! There's plenty to keep you busy for 2 days and plenty of great restaurants. You can't go to Ireland and miss it!
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 04:42 AM

Made my first trip to Ireland (11 days) about a month ago and spent only 2 days and nights in Dublin. I loved Dublin and plan to spend more time there next time. Great food, great great people, great pubs, great traditional Irish music, great parks.......I thought it was great!

Larry J
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 04:53 AM

Dublin is great. There are some fine historical walking tours of the city that leave from the Trinity College gate, on Grafton St. I believe. Some tours cover general Irish history and others cover 1916 in particular.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 05:36 AM

Let me echo everyone else: I loved Dublin. Wonderful museums, great walking tours, lovely people, and just a really nice city.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 05:43 AM

I loved Dublin as well -- it's such a nice little city! It's bizarre seeing a downtown without skyscrapers, though --

I've been there both trips to Ireland, and will be going again next trip, but only for a couple days. There are LOTS of other places to see and things to do, even just in that area, other than the city. North to Newgrange or Trim, south to Glendalough or Dun Loughaire --
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 09:12 AM

In answer to your posted question, Dublin is neither a 'must see' nor 'a waste of time'. I wouldn't, for example, drive all the way from the west coast to spend time there. But if it came logically at the end of a great two weeks of travelling in other parts of Ireland, why not?

We spent three days there, which in no way qualifies me as an expert on Dublin. As a tourist, however, we found some bits interesting (Book of Kells, St. Stephen's Green, Temple Bar area, etc.), but didn't leave with an overall impression of a fascinating city that we'd be yearning to return to.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 09:39 AM

Onerof the favorite sites my husband and I visited in Dublin was Kilmainham Jail. The jail was built by the occupying British and was in use from 1798 to 1920. Many historical Irish figures were imprisoned here, most notably the leader of the 1918 Easter Uprising. The jail really gives you a sense of Irish history and the hardships that the Irish people endured.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback on Dublin! WHERE did you Dublin-lovers stay in Dublin? Sometimes this can make a big difference.

EASYTRAVELER: Where did you go in Dublin and what did you do to celebrate Dublin's connections with great literature? I love writing and reading!

SIOBHANP: Great to hear from a local! Would love to hear a local's view of your favorite places in Dublin. I'll be travelling with biologist hubby and 2 young adult daughters. That makes 3 writers in the family and 2 avid readers. Our interests are Irish history, culture, music, and dance. I want to experience what's authentically Irish (not touristy). We also love interesting and unique shops and cool bookstores. Would enjoy pubs or restaurants where we might meet some locals. My Irish grandmother has passed on a love and deep curiosity regarding Ireland to me. Thanks for any input! Also, if you had to stay in a Dublin hotel, which neighborhood/hotel would you pick?!

LARRYJ: What were your favorite spots in Dublin to hear traditional Irish music? Your 2 favorite restaurants? Your fav park? Glad you enjoyed Dublin.

GREENDRAGON: A city without skyscrapers, YES! I love it already. (Skyscrapers make me feel claustrophobic.) Can you recommend a hotel in Dublin in a great neighborhood? You have been to Dublin twice, so what are your favorite memories (pub? restaurant? museum? Anything that stands out for you.) Thanks!

RICKMAV: Thanks for your opinion. Yes, Dublin fits logically into the itinerary, as it's most convenient for us to fly into Shannon and out of Dublin.

MNAPOLI: Interesting that you would mention Killmainham Gaol. I am drawn to visit it for the sense of history I think it will give us. did you by any chance visit the Book of Kells and the National Museum as well? If so, for you, how did they compare?

Please help me prioritize Dublin sites as we will only have 2 nights there which is 1 full day of touring. Here are some we'd like to see:

-Killmainham Gaol
-Book of Kells
-National Museum
-Dublin Writer's Museum
-traditional Irish music
-walk: historical area
-Grafton St. shops
-Temple bar area
-Number Twenty-Nine Georgian House

Any ideas of how to trim this list to a great do-able full day visit? (Spending 2 nights in dublin.) Thanks a million!

Old Aug 5th, 2005, 10:50 AM

Melissa--
My friends and I were able to spend only one day in Dublin. We took the hop on/off bus tour, which we actually liked (there was an actual person narrating). We had a good overview of the city and could walk around when we wanted to. Don't miss the Book of Kells. It's amazing! Enjoy your trip!
b
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 01:12 PM

Melissa:
Let me just tell you I returned from Ireland two days ago and I was in the same sort of situtation. Many people were telling me to skip Dublin and it was crowded, dirty and a waste I COULDN'T DISAGREE MORE!! We had a blast in Dublin and decided to stay a third night instead of the original two. However, the only reason we chose the third night was because we arrived late on the first day and didnt have much of a chance to see the city so it really was more like two full days. Personally, we did alot of shopping in St. Stephans Green and Temple Bar. But I would say the Book of Kells is a must!!! We also went to the National Museum and Guiness Factory which I also think is a must. I am not a big Guiness drinker myself but I thought the seven story factory with all the info was great! ENJOY DUBLIN.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Great responses, thanks so much!

BTEWALT: I want to take that hop-on, hop-off bus too. It's a bonus that the narrator is a real person.

SURVFAN: Did you like the St. Stephen's Green and Temple Bar areas better for shopping/strolling than Grafton St., if we have to choose? I'm glad you had a blast and didn't let the dire predictions stop you from seeing for yourself if you'd like it. ANY ADVICE on how to make the most out of Dublin? Am especially interested in a Dublin visit which leaves me feeling like, Hey, I couldn't have experienced this anywhere else...this is unique.

THANKS EVERYBODY for both the positive and negative comments! When I put both together, I really get a more realistic feel for Dublin and your experiences will help everybody reading this post!
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 03:37 PM

Melissa,

I'm back from Ireland just yesterday after a 10 day trip. We covered Dingle, Kinsale, Cashel and Dublin (in Dublin 3 nights). Our plans took us in different directions, in the areas north and south of the City. We spent one day driving up from Cashel and stopping at Glendaloch along the way; spent a day going to New Grange and most of the third day doing a cliff walk from Greystone to Bray and eating in Dalky. That left us a half day to do the Jail, the Book of Kells, and Trinity College tour. The jail was the most interesting. I only had to wait about 10 minutes to get into see the book of kells. The library above that area was more interesting to me and if you are rushed for time or lines are long, I would skip the Book of Kells.
The stores close pretty early so we didn't get much shopping in, but did get to Grafton Street and the Temple Bar Inn. Music doesn't start till 9:30 and we were always too tired to get that far.

Your itinerary sounds pretty rigorous to me (much like the one I set up.) Mostly what I heard from my traveling companions (my sister, nephew and his girlfriend) was that we were on too much of a schedule. By the time, we got to Dublin, they were ready to just "chill". We were all exhausted.

That's probably more than you wanted to know. I did enjoy Dublin, but didn't get enough time. Next time I would make sure I do the hop on/hop off bus, be moe spontaneous and go back to top three the places that interested me most.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 03:51 PM

Melissa5,
I will be going on my 1st trip this October and am planning 3 nights in Dublin, 2 days of sightseeing and will let you know what happened.

Please forgive the interruption to your thread, I just gotta know....

SURVFAN: So...did you love it? Where did you end up staying in Dublin and Doolin? Did you get to Dingle? Very relieved to hear your thoughts on Dublin as I was feeling the same doubts about the time there. Thanks!
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 05:56 PM

Answer to Melissa5:

The Temple Bar district provided all the traditional music I needed; as for restaurants I prefer to eat in Pubs so I can meet local people. I made friends with a great older guy (my age) who operates a horse and carriage service in town and met a really nice young 30 ish couple who invited me to Wales next year. For a great park you can't beat the beautiful St. Stephens Green park. I spend 3 months a year in France but now I must give Ireland two weeks each spring including the Connemarra, Dingle, Kenmare, Tralee and of course Dublin.

Larry J
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 08:20 PM

Hi, Melissa!

For Oscar Wilde, I really enjoyed his statue in Merrion Square. The statue is kind of hidden behind trees and bushes from the busy streets. One side of the statue's face is smiling and the other side is sad. Near the statue were a couple of low stone pillars carved with some of his wonderful, pithy sayings: "A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing." Great literary genius, but such a sad life.

James Joyce: there's a bust of him in St Stephen's Green.

My favorite James Joyce site was the Martello Tower at Sandycove. The Towers themselves have quite a history, having been built to defend Ireland against Napoleon. Joyce actually lived in a part of one tower with two other young men. You can visit the small room where all three of them were crammed. Downstairs is a Joyceana where you can buy copies of his books, etc. The area around the Tower is quite attractive, however, Sandycove may be too far for a one day visit to Dublin.

I highly, highly, highly recommend the hop on/hop off bus. Some of those bus drivers are hilarious.

I also highly, highly, highly recommend the Book of Kells. Try to get there early. I had the opposite impression, the library upstairs was just "OK" for me but the Book of Kells was an outstanding experience.

We stayed with our friends, so I can't recommend any hotels. Also our friends chose the restaurants, so I don't remember the names of the restaurants. I do remember one day, when we were on our own, we went into a Wagamama's and my overriding impression was "Oh, Aghhhh! Is THIS what some Europeans consider as Asian food? Oh,Arghhhh! Aghhhh!" Otherwise, the restaurants, big or small, were all great.

Have a great trip!

Old Aug 5th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

LARRYJ: Thanks for telling me about your favorite places in Dublin. I agree meeting the locals is an important part of travelling. Happy world travels. I just impulsively bought a book called "1001 Natural Wonders You Must See Before You Die." Gorgeous photos, great way to get ideas for more trips!

EASYTRAVELER: Thanks for an intriguing glimpse into the literary side of Dublin. I think we will start off our day with a morning visit to see the Book of Kells. I have to see where that hop-on, hop-off bus goes to, and where it doesn't go.

With only 1 full day I really need to prioritize sites! I'm trying to pick all of your brains so I can figure out what our priorities might be! We might get 1 full day and 1 half-day as well (2 nights).

We have to pre-plan because we each have different interests and that way everybody is assured of seeing something that interests them.

If it were up to me alone, we might spend the whole day seeing "literary" Dublin!

Old Aug 6th, 2005, 06:11 PM

12 perfect days:

I loved Ireland and everything I saw. We did not make it out to Dingle as I was told by many to skip it because of the bank holiday crowds but other than that had a blast. We did b&b most the way except in Dublin ( Burlington Hotel) which was very nice and stayed one night in Killarney at the Great Southern Hotel. I really enjoyed Killarney, the national park, Ross Castel and the shopping there. Killarney was def a tourist area but I think worth it.

Melissa:

I prefered Temple Bar for shopping but whatever you decided to do dont get to stressed and have fun that is the important thing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -