The best tables at Le Coupe Chou, Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am about to make a booking for this restaurant and I wondered if anyone could give me advice on where to ask for a good table in the restaurant. I understand some areas are better than others as is the case with most places. My table request could of course go unheeded but I will try, so any comments from past diners would be appreciated.
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 09:49 PM

They sat me next to that giant fireplace you can see in their website photos. This is located in the first room as you enter the building. It was fine as the fireplace wasn't working in the heat of July. But I would imagine that the heat would be intense when they use it in winter. So maybe you won't want to sit there if you're visiting shortly.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 09:00 AM

I also had the table next to the fireplace in June. It would be impossible to sit there if the fire is lit as you're almost inside the hearth! I enjoyed being in this first room. I recall seeing a post in the last few months where the fodorite was compalining about being "forgotten" in one of the back rooms and thought the service was terrible. I had wonderful service when I was there and really enjoyed the food. We're going back to Paris in April and this is one of the places we intend to return to.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Thankyou for those comments. I also saw the post about being in the back room that's why I thought I would ask the question. I will ask for a table in the front room. Who knows, I might be lucky!
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 12:07 PM

I booked a table for seven in December but did not specify which room. We were seated in the back room, the farthest from the entrance. The meal and the sevice was first class, the staff appearing just when they were needed. We had an excellent night and would recommend it to anyone.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 02:51 PM

We were seriously underwhelmed!
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Jody, you comment that you were "seriously underwhelmed". Was it the food, the service the place or all three. At E32 for the fixed price I am not expecting Guy Savoy, but I know the area and from the website and other comments,Le Coupe Chou seems like an attractive dinner option in Paris. Perhaps I am wrong!
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 04:49 PM

At another travel site locals have criticized Le Coupe Chou saying it's a tourist trap, that the food is horrible, etc. Don't go with high expectations. The food is good but it is not haute cuisine.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 10:04 PM

We very much enjoyed Le Coupe Chou. Nicest rooms are the front rooms with fireplaces. We were initially led through all the charming rooms to the back, then up a few stairs and through a doorway into a "back room" that was seemed to be an "annex", with very plain decor and tables set in rows. When I asked if we might have that empty table in the front room by the fireplace next to a window, he said, "Mais, Madame, FUME, FUME!!!" When I replied that we did not mind smoking, we were led back to that table. This was in June and the fireplace was not lit.

Often, in Paris, if you are American, it is assumed that you MUST have a non-smoking table. In many restaurants, this is the back room, downstairs, upstairs, etc. So, if you insist on non-smoking, this may not be the most desireable spot in the restaurant.

Note, however, that on each visit to Paris over the last ten years I have noticed less and less smoking in restaurants.