Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Dauphine St. Germaine or Buci Latin in 6th in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 10:21 PM
Gretchen

Trying to choose between these 2 hotels in the 6th. I know many of you really like Buci Latin, but we would prefer to go with the Dauphine if it's equally as nice, as it's somewhat less expensive. I can't find any comments re Dauphine St. Germaine on this forum. Can anyone provide me info regarding it, or, better yet, compare the 2? Thank you!!!

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 10:36 PM
Surlok

I stayed at the Dauphine two years ago. Overall a nice hotel, but beware, some rooms are really small. I was alone, and my double room for single use was so small, since I had two suitcases, that I could barely walk around the bed. Besides, even being a smoker, I found that the room had a strong cigarette smell. I couldn't turn the air conditiomimg, because I had to keep the windows opened. <BR> <BR>The next day, I complained about both, the cigarette odor, and the size of the room, and asked for a larger room, which I got two nights after. This time, I had a very nice, larger room, with no odor. <BR> <BR>The staff is partially very helpful, and partially ( the man at the night shift) not so nice. <BR> <BR>Surlok

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 05:21 AM
Ess

Gretchen I stayed at Dauphine St. Germain last November. It's a nice, smaller hotel. Our room and bathroom were teeny, but quite comfortable. I thought the street was noisy, however, especially as there was construction going on while we were staying there, and it is a through street with constant traffic (motorscooters!). <BR> <BR>I did find the staff to be weird. They were cold and brusque, as if we were intruders. Believe me when I tell you that we are not demanding. We are easy-going and actually spent very little time at all in the hotel. But the staff were just strange - morose and charmless. <BR> <BR>There's a nice little lounge in the back with a bar and chairs to read the papers. The breakfast room seemed pleasant, but we never ate breakfast there, even tho' it was included in the price of the room. We always ran out early in the morning for coffee at the cafe down the street. (Escape, yay! Freedom! Away from the Addams Family!) The cafe became our morning place. <BR> <BR>We liked the late night man at the desk - he was very pleasant. They should have had him on duty during the day. And the housekeeper was also a very pleasant and efficient lady. The daytime desk staff definitely need some improvement. <BR> <BR>The best thing I can say about this hotel is that it is ideally located in a charming, lively neighborhood. The Odeon metro stop is a block away, and the Pont Neuf is one block the opposite direction. There is something going on at all hours. <BR> <BR>Whichever hotel you opt for, I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 07:13 AM
Gretchen

Wow, those aren't exactly glowing reviews for the Dauphine, but thanks for sharing them. Has anyone else out there had the same or a different experience there? Also, with respect to Paris hotels generally, does anyone know if it's possible to reserve a "non-smoking" room in advance, or are all rooms available to smokers? (Dumb question?) <BR>

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 07:17 AM
phil

Gretchen, <BR>I have stayed at the Buci Latin. Compared to the other two hotels I've used in Paris (neither was the Dauphine) it was WAY ahead. The rooms are a decent size for the neighborhood and the bathroom, by Paris standards, is large. <BR> <BR>The only room you don't want at the Buci Latin is on the first floor (might even be room 101), up the small staircase to the left of the reception desk. My parents used it and it seemed a little less spacious than the room my wife and I had on the 2nd floor. <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 07:49 AM
Christina

I don't know about Parisian hotels in general as I don't make special requests for nonsmoking rooms, and I'm sure it varies by size and star-rating, but I know some hotels do have special rooms (or even floors) for nonsmokers and you definitely can reserve these in advance, that's the whole point of having nonsmoking rooms--such as the Libertel chain. Holiday Inn republique also has some (I think large hotels that expect more American guests might be more likely to do this--that is a nice hotel and I really like Republique Square). Some other hotels with nonsmoking floors are Hotel du Cadran (nice 3-star in the 7th, a good choice) and the 4-star Hotel du Parc in the 16th. There are others, but these are a few I can think of off the top of my head. I suspect you won't find that much at the 2-star level.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 08:06 AM
Surlok

I have to be fair here. The Dauphine isn't a bad hotel. The location is fabulous, breakfast is good, and since the breakfast room faces the street, you can people watch while eating it. The rooms aren't all that small, and the lady in charge for breakfast and house keeping is very nice. I had a light beige nylon bag, Donna Karan's, which was extremely dirty. I bought a brush, and asked this lady to have it cleaned, which she did with a smile on her face. I had tried the cleaners, but none would do it for me. She returned my bag two days after, and it looked like a new one, so not everything is bad at the Dauphine, believe me. <BR> <BR>The first room I got was awful, but the second was very nice. And the price is fair, for the location, and what they offer. <BR> <BR>Surlok

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 09:46 AM
Ess

I agree with you, Surlok, the Dauphine isn't a bad hotel. It's an adequate hotel, and the lobby is rather pretty. I was just trying to be honest about its worst points. I figure if you know the worst, then it can only get better from there. And, of course, everyone's experience is different. What is it with the front desk personnel?

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 10:40 AM
Russell

More and more, I'm noticing that people are agonizing over the choice of Parisian hotels without realizing that unless you book many months in advance, the better hotels will be booked solid. So after all the back and forth on this forum, it frequently turns out that the top choices are gone. From my experience, the Buci Latin is the better of the two and you should be aware that it fronts on the Rue de Buci street market, which will be a plus for some and a minus for others. Unless your trip is way off in the future, I'd strongly suggest having at least three or four alternate hotels available. Good luck!

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 10:51 AM
Gretchen

Actually, both hotels are available (surprising as that may be) for our dates in September, but I have to respond today, which is the reason for my posting. I'm sure they'll both be gone if I don't act quickly. We like a lively area, so I thought the location would be ok, plus they both have sound proofing (although I have no idea how well that works). If there are any other thoughts out there, I would appreciate hearing them. The price difference isn't that great, so if Buci Latin is much better, we'd rather go that route. Thanks again for all the thoughtful comments.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 05:43 AM
Jen

I've stayed at the Buci Latin twice, and love it. The staff is wonderful, and the rooms are spacious for Paris hotel rooms. The beds are the most comfortable I've slept in in Europe. I'd opt for the Buci Latin! <BR> <BR> <BR>Check their web site at : http://perso.wanadoo.fr/hotelbucilatin <BR> <BR>It's a more modern, funky hotel - very stylish and trendy rather than charming and quaint. <BR>

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 12:31 PM
elaine

topping

Old May 30th, 2002, 08:29 PM
Judy

Gretchen,<BR><BR>We stayed at the Dauphine St. Germain a year ago March. Room was VERY, VERY tiny...fortunately my friend and I are both very small. The room faced the street and was nice and bright during the day. However, very noisy at night. We had a choice of a bigger room when we checked in but it was in the back of the hotel and rather drab and dark. We found the staff to be generally nice and friendly. Breakfast was not included in our rate but we did eat there one morning and it was enjoyable.<BR><BR>This year we stayed at the Best Western Hotel Left Bank. I liked that a lot more than the Dauphine. Room was large but no street window so was a little dark but size and charm made up for it. Breakfast was included. Metro at the corner. And rate was less than we had paid at the Dauphine a year earlier. Also ran into some people on a day trip who were staying at the Dauphine and were not happy at all.<BR><BR>I haven't stayed at the Buci Latin but have heard good things about it.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 03:56 PM
Jessica

Hi everyone,<BR><BR>Just wanted to let you know that the Buci Latin has changed it's name. It is now the Artus Hotel. Website: artushotel.com.<BR><BR>Am going to be staying there early July, based on all the good comments!

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 05:50 PM
Merrir

Tulip Inn<BR>We stayed at the Tulip Inn in November and the rooms were just fine - not huge- but separate toilet from bath/shower, comfortable bed, breakfast included for $110 usd a night - and the staff was friendly helpful and spoke english (but appreciated the french we attempted).