Search

the 3rd in Paris...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 08:54 AM
bx3
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the 3rd in Paris...

i posted a question about a specific hotel in the 3rd and am not sure many people have tried it (hotel paris france), so let me pose a different question...
has anyone stayed in the 3rd arrondisement near place de la Republique? and if so, what was the area like? safe? accessible?
many thanks in advance for the help
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 09:06 AM

I stayed in the 3rd in May of 2003 and found it wonderful! Tended to get crowded on the weekend with the locals going thru the trendy and eclectic shops and enjoying the great resturants/bars but fantasic none-the-less, after all..it is PARIS! The Place des Voges (SP?) is a short walk as is Pompidou Center. Highly recommend this area.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 09:13 AM

So I checked out the pagejaunes website and virtually strolled the neighborhood..nice enough, Tripadvisor didn't have any negative comments (small elevator? big deal...!) anamericaninparis didn't list it... the website is nice...and it is PARIS! In the third, you'd not be too far from anything. When are you going?
And you're right, the price is pretty darned good!
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 09:32 AM
bx3
Original Poster

thank you for the advice. yes, the hotel looks very nice for the price, which made me a bit leary, but perhaps this is one of those great deals we often hear about but fail so often to find. i will be in paris in september and i shall try to remember to report back. thanks again.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 10:41 AM

I personally wouldn't want to stay near place de la Republique. I don't think it is as nice and central as other arr. in the city. You are in easy access to the Metro, but it is quite a distance from most popular sights and museums.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 10:48 AM

We are staying near Republique in October because of an unbelievable hotel rate (and we need 5 rooms). I studied the map long and hard--we usually stay at the Muguet. One thing about Republique is there are myriad Metro and bus lines that connect well.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 12:16 PM

The location in terms of distance wouldn't bother me. It isn't that far out from the center. Place de la Republique is a lot closer to Notre Dame, for example, than the Muguet or other hotels in the 7th around Ecole Militaire. It's about the same distance from St-Germain church as the Muguet. It would be closer to the Louvre, Marais and things in that area.

I do think that area is not quite as upscale or nice as some close-in areas on the Left Bank, if that's the comparison, but in some ways it's more typical. I wouldn't be wandering around place de la Republique late at night though. I've been in the general area enough at other times than late at night, though, and enjoy it. I like the cafes on the place which is pleasant in the summer with the kids and carousel, etc.

I think you can find some comments about the general area in a few threads where people stayed at Holiday Inn Republique.

The area is very accessible, that's no problem.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 06:27 PM

Another way to get a sense for it is to go to www.paris.org, hotels, and filter by metro (Republique). Then read all the hotel comments to see what people said who stayed in the area.

I personally prefer staying a bit out of the center, it feels more 'real' and after a few days begins to have a kind of 'going home' after a hard day's 'work' feeling.