Thanks for "pushing" the rental properties in London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am going to London in March and was planning on using the same hotel as last trip - we really liked the hotel and the area. However, my bro-in-law decided to go with us this trip and his room plus ours would cost $2,400 for 6 nights. Decided to listen to the expert travellers on this Forum (especially janisj) and checked out the rental properties in this area. Found a great deal (2 Bedroom/2.5 Bath) that is going to be so much more comfortable for us and for $1,100 LESS, right in the same area. We can now sit together and visit or plan the next day in comfort. It has a large adjoining park-like garden at the back of the property, too.

Getting excited just thinking about it - thanks Fodorites - I pick up so many good tips from this form!
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

Oop! I meant "from this Forum!"
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 05:21 AM

Someone years ago on this forum suggested a self-catering option instead of B&Bs for a trip for my parents, my husband and me. The selling point was that with a B&B, there would likely be a lounge, but there may be other guests there as well. With a hotel, there may or may not be a shared lounge. With a S/C place, you have the shared living space as well as separate bedrooms.

We took that advice, it was some of the best I ever got for that trip.
Old Nov 10th, 2010, 07:54 PM

Dorfan, i"ve heard of people changing from hotels to flats, but never vice versa. Once you've enjoyed the advantages of a good rental home/apt, it is difficult to go back to one-room hotel living!Glad you found a place that will work for you.
Do you mi d sharing the name/website of the nice flat you found for a good price? Enquiring fellow Fodorites want to know for future reference
Old Nov 11th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

I found the flat on VRBO.com. I was looking for a 2 bedroom/2 bath property near Earls Court tube sta. and found listing #194622. It states Gloucester Sta. as the nearby tube sta, but Earl's Court is closer. Also has 2.5 baths. Rate was cheaper that quoted on the website since we're travelling in March (off peak season). Rental company has been very prompt with answering questions, etc.
Old Nov 11th, 2010, 04:45 PM

Thanks for the info, Dorfan.

Lovely flat! And a great price, esp'lly if it's even less than stated on VRBO. I love the area around Gloucester Rd Tube Stn (have stayed twice in hotels). Last time in London we rented a flat nr Kensington Palace, from the same company, London Connections. (Some are on that VRBO page with "see my other listings.") They were very good to work with!! (I had read a couple neg reviews on TA, so was concerned--but Thomas and staff were fine, open and patient, answered all questions, and on-site staff were very good!

You've made an excellent decision!