Car rental problems

Aug 22nd, 2010, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Car rental problems

After four days in London ("connect" train from Heathrow) we are hoping to drive to Hampton Court, Windsor Castle, Stonehenge and then northward through York and Newcastle to Edinburgh. Then establish a three day car tour of Scotland before dropping the car at Glasgow Int'l airport. ( 10 days with car altogether). Now, here's are the problems: 1. Where to find a vehicle near an undrground stop towards Hampton Court from Bayswater other than going back to Heathrow? 2. After reading loads of car insurance terms, I still don't know how to acquire "zero excess"? 3. Which car rental company is reputated to be the best in service and/or price? 4. Which internet rental service company has the best combination of price and dependability? 5. How far into London can I pick up a car ( first time driving in England) and not be into congestion charges? Thanking you in advance for any response to one or more questions.
Aug 22nd, 2010, 07:51 PM

1) The plan really doesn't make much sense. HCP is a VERY easy day trip from central London by train. That's what I'd do. Then on the day you leave London, take the Connect or the tube to LHR (depending on where you are staying) and collect you rental car there. It will then be a 7 mile drive to Windsor and youwon't have to drive in London traffic at all.

Otherwise, the best place to collect a car is at Marble Arch/Edgware Rd (but I wouldn't for your itinerary)

2) You get full CDW by using a platinum visa/mc and declining the rental agency's coverage.

3 & 4) No one company is better price/service-wise. Try AutoEurope (a broker) and get their best quote and then search on the various rental company websites to see if any are cheaper. I find that about 65%-75%of the time, Auroeurope or sister company Kemwell will get you the best rates.

5) see my answer to #1 above - - you don't want to drive in central London. . . . .
Aug 22nd, 2010, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

To janisj....you do make sense... good idea. I'll check into transport to HCP ( maybe a 'London Pass with Travel' is the best approach). Thank you.....wishing you a chance to bump into Joe Montana (gently) during your travels.
Aug 22nd, 2010, 08:19 PM

"maybe a 'London Pass with Travel' is the best approach"

absolutely not! The LP is a waste of money most of the time (though not always) -- but it's transport option is ALWAYS a rip off.

You'd simply take the tube to Waterloo station, buy train tickets to Hampton Court, get off and walk a couple hundreds yards across the bridge to the Palace entrance. AND - by taking the train you get to use the 2for1 vouchers from the Days Out Guide

http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/
Aug 23rd, 2010, 12:23 AM

You can pay additional CDW directly to the car rental company in order to lower the excess. Try Sixt for rates, if they are good they have a rental location at Hatton Cross tube station, couple stops before Heathrow, check if you can pick up there instead of going into the terminals. Not sure what parking is like in Windsor though.
Aug 23rd, 2010, 12:27 AM

"You can pay additional CDW directly to the car rental company in order to lower the excess"

But if you cc covers you, there is no need to pay for the insurance at all.

"Not sure what parking is like in Windsor though"

Not bad - there are several well signposted car parks w/i walking distance of the castle.
Aug 23rd, 2010, 07:27 AM

As Janis says, check with your credit card. If you don't have a card that offers insurance you can call your card company and upgrade to a card that does if you have time before you leave. Note that in this case you MUST decline the insurance offered with the rental or it takes precedence. You can't have both.

AutoEurope.com and their http://kemwel.com branch often offer deals with zero deducible insurance as very good rates.

Rob