advice on car rental /transfers

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking into renting a car with 1car1 because their rates are great and are still cheaper even with everything (VAT,CDW,etc.) included. The problem is that I wanted to drop the car somewhere in London but all of their places are closed on Sundays. My option is to drop it at Heathrow but then I have to get back to London. That could end up eating my savings over the other car rental co. Any Advice?
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 07:26 AM

Are you planning to get back into the city using the Tube? Seems that would be the cheapest way.

How much of a savings from your car rental agency vs. say, autoeurope, are you talking about?
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Well, I will be coming from Bedford with my DH and kids and luggage so I really didn't want to have to lug all that on the tube although I know that would be the cheapest way. I'm looking at about 70usd savings! I guess we could go to the Hotel, drop our stuff and then go to Heathrow, turn in car and then take tube back to London but then we lose precious time to spend in London.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 07:58 AM
Neopolitan

Have you really checked with this rental agency? We've returned many cars over the years in Europe after hours or on weekedns and they offered a drop slot. It seems odd that they wouldn't have someplace you could return the car and do that.

Or is it even possible to park it at their location, take a taxi and then do a brief return the next morning to check it in -- assuming the location is nearer to central London?

Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Yes, of course I reallly checked it out!

I was so unsure what site to drop it off at, so I called to ask and that's when she informed me that not only are the London sites closed on Sundays but that there are no drop boxes.

I would have to say it is not a possbility to drop the car off on Sat. as I will not be in London but am staying in just north of Bedford.

I guess I have to decide if the monetary savings are worth the grief and time.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 08:32 AM
Neopolitan

OK, but the second suggestion was about parking it near the London return point on Sunday and returning (without luggage) early Monday to check it in.

Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

ooh, I get it. That will be worth looking in Neopolitan. I will have to see if that works. Good suggestion!
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

well, with Neopolitan's suggestion I would have to pay for another day rental which I will not need, plus 25gbp to park at the hotel (if they even have an open space). I've decided that it isn't worth it and am going to just drop off our stuff at the hotel, take the car to Heathrow and drop it off and take the tube back into London. We will lose some time but, oh well!