London Car Rental

Nov 12th, 2007, 01:58 AM
bdj
Original Poster

London Car Rental

Has anyone rented a car in London and had it delivered to their hotel? If so, what company did you use? How did that process play out and what additional charge was incurred?

Or would anyone have any knowledge of a specific car hire company in London that offers such a service?

Thanks in advance…
Nov 12th, 2007, 07:17 AM

First, I hope you are not renting a car for use IN London - it's silly and useless, as well as expensive.

If you are getting it for outside London, several car companies (Enterprise, for one) will come pick you up and take you to the rental agency to get your car. Often they are at the airport, so you can just leave from there, rather than trying to drive in London proper.
Nov 12th, 2007, 10:27 AM

I twice attempted to have a car delivered to my hotel from the nearest major car rental company and was told that could not be done. But, when I got to the hotel, both were Marriott affiliates, the concierge was able to arrange a delivery at the door. Each of these was at the end of a business trip and I was able to return the car at Gatwick with no drop charge.
Nov 12th, 2007, 10:44 AM

The first question would be where is your hotel? And my next question is do you really, really HAVE TO hire a car? I strongly discourage hiring a car if you are staying in central London. If you are driving during 7am-6pm Mon-Fri, you'll be charged £8 congestion charge (which goes up if you don't pay on the same day). Have you driven in European cities? Note London streets are notoriously confusing (lots of one way streets) and congested. Also note that many rental car offices in central London are closed on Sundays.
Nov 12th, 2007, 11:33 PM
bdj
Original Poster

GreenDragon, much obliged on the heads-ups regarding Enterprise.

Jeff801, do you recall which car rental agency the hotels utilized? Thanks.
Nov 13th, 2007, 04:57 AM

bdj,

Both times I had booked the rental through Hertz and then asked the concierge to intervene. It may have helped that I have a Gold membership.