Search

Northside London Car Rental

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2005, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Northside London Car Rental

Hi,
Everybody has been most helpful as my itinerary for England evolves. I'm staying in London for a couple of days and then want to pick up a rental car to head to York, but I want to stop at Cambridge en route. Any recommendation for a good location/car rental firm on the way out of London on the north side that wouldn't involve difficult driving conditions? Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 10:19 AM

I can't recommend a specific rental location on the northern side of London - maybe someone else can help w/ that.

But another idea - You could take the train to Cambridge and pick up your car there after you have wandered around the town for a few hours.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

I've been thinking of that, it certainly would be fine logistically, but the added price is another story. I can't believe how expensive it is to travel by train in the UK! There are two of us traveling.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 10:59 AM
cw

Two years ago we stayed in Mayfair and picked our rental car up on Edgware Rd. It was easy to drive north from there.

There may be a more convenient location for you. Look at the possible car pick-up locations and check them on a good map.

When you decide on the location check www.theaa.com for driving directions to Cambridge. I've found them to be very useful.

We left London by car on a Sunday morning so the traffic was minimal (comparatively speaking!).

cw
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 05:29 PM

Yes - a lot depends on what day/time you are leaving. If any time on a Sunday or early Saturday a.m. - then I'd just drive from central London. But then you'd have the issue of finding a rental agency open on weekends or especially on Sundays.

Old Apr 13th, 2005, 05:46 PM

A few years ago I picked up a car in Finchley just north of England and drove from there to Cambridge. After visiting Cambridge (approx. 3 hrs) we wound up stopping in Doncaster for an overnighter and left the next day for York. We ran into traffic delays and detours so straight to York turned out to be too long a drive.

It cost us about $30 to get from the area of Victoria Station to Finchley via a mini-cab. I'd be happy to answer any questions about this. [email protected]
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 05:50 PM

Have you heard of a website www.newtravelagent.com <http://www.newtravelagent.com>?

This site is really cool... they have cheap fares for airlines, hotels, cars for any destination you may want to travel to... The best part is they save you time that we generally waste researching the internet for good deals, they will do all the research and book the cheapest deals.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 06:05 PM

raghav: Advertising is not allowed on Fodors. Go talk about your website on somewhere else . . . . .

(It is really dumb to advertise something on a thread that has no relation to what you are selling - only makes us curious to look up your history -- hmmmm just registered a few minutes ago)