London Car Rental

Mar 25th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

London Car Rental

I need to rent a car towards the end of our time in London in order to drive to Wales. At first I wanted to use my old standby, the Budget on Marylebone, because of the simple access to the Westway and A40. However, this location is closed on Sunday, when I need to return the car. It seems that the most convenient other location open Sunday is Hertz Marble Arch, though there's another near Victoria that might save a few pounds (which I think well spent to avoid city driving.

So, is Marble Arch a good location? Any driviing difficulties leaving early Thursday afternoon, returning same on Sunday? You exit onto a side street, then left on Edgware to the A40.

Also, is the Ford Mondeo 1.8 a decent car for three adults and a bit of baggage, or would the Passat 2.0 be a better choice?

Thanks.
Mar 25th, 2009, 08:40 AM

I can't help with locations but can offer an insight on the cars. I was on the Sixt car rental site pricing a Passat rental the other day and there was a link to "upgrade to a roomier car for 4 euros a day", the roomier car being the Mondeo.

While it may be a bit bigger the Passat would also do you. I rented a Passat TDI wagon last summer in France and it was brilliant.

Here's a link someone else posted a while ago that makes it handy to compare cars:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/

Rob
Mar 25th, 2009, 08:45 AM

Returning on a Sunday would not be bad at Marble Arch - its near Edgware Rd so if you managed Marylebone you should not have a problem. I would not consider Victoria. Just not at all convenient IMO.

You also might consider collecting the car at Heathrow and dropping it at Marble Arch. Taking the tube out to LHR would let you miss the traffic out of central London.
Mar 25th, 2009, 09:10 AM

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but how does a person renting a car deal with that silly London anti-congestion law? Aren't there days or hours when you are fined for driving in town without an expensive permit? I only heard about this on an old Top Gear episode so maybe the law has changed?
Mar 25th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Paris and Janis thank you for your recommendations.

Otzi -- You pay. At Marble Arch you pay 8 GBP to drive 50 meters to Edgware Road, which is exempt. Returning, you stay on Edgware, and so would not have to pay even on a weekday. Check for details with your rental location.