TGV Reservations

Search

TGV Reservations

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2003, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TGV Reservations

My wife and I will be in France from the 10th - 25th of May and will take the TGV from Paris to Annecy, then from Lyon to Avignon. Is it necessary to book in advance to get the trains you want or can we wait until we are there and still get on any train? Thanks.

Steve
Old May 6th, 2003, 02:45 PM

Steve P...I am not qualified to answer your train reservation question, but I would like to know where you are staying in Annecy, if you don't mind?
Old May 6th, 2003, 03:41 PM

Since the introduction of the TGV Med line about a year ago the TGVs going to the south have been more heavily booked. I would advise booking ahead on the SNCF website and prepaying. You will get a better rate than in the US and can pick up your train tickets at the station b4 you leave. Be sure to take the credit card with you that you used to pay for the tickets as well as the reservation number. You will not be able to get your tickets without both. The SNCF web site is http://www.voyages-sncf.com. Look for the british flag about half way down the page on the left for english. It is very small. Once in the correct language click on the train tab at the top of the screen to book. Have a nice trip!
Old May 6th, 2003, 03:48 PM

Steve, if your question is whether you can take a TGV without seat reservation,
the answer is no. Seat reservation is compulsory with TGV. Also reserving a seat a few hours/days before the train departure would be quite risky. Many people reserve weeks before.
Old May 6th, 2003, 05:17 PM

Regarding the last two posts: SNCF has changed its system recently. You CAN still buy tickets and pick them up (using the same credit card) when you arrive at the station, but for the very best fares now, go to the SNCF site and get the PREM fares. For those, you need to buy your ticket online and PRINT IT OUT and take it with you - you have a reserved seat and you don't have to get your ticket composted at the station. Regarding reservations, the "reservation rule" for the TGV is that if you are holding a ticket 5 minutes before the train leaves, you have a reservation. For your route, at that time of year, I would suggest you log onto the SNCF website and purchase PREM tickets. You could probably walk up to the counter and buy tickets, but it's popular route and you might not be lucky.
Old May 6th, 2003, 05:23 PM

I thought PREM fares were only available round-trip?

Old May 7th, 2003, 01:53 AM

A link to purchase Prem fares is available from the main sncf website page. They maybe be one way or round trip and can be printed out. They are non changeable non refundable and must be purchased at least 2 weeks in advance. This type of fare is only available in 2nd class.

If you want to risk it you can wait for last minute offers. These offers are posted every tuesday for travel that tuesday through the following monday. They are half off and apply to first class as well. Only certain routes are available each week.
Old May 7th, 2003, 02:32 AM

I purchased one-way PREM tickets from Paris CDG to Avignon just a couple weeks ago. Printed them out. It worked fine. We'll be using them Friday!
Old May 7th, 2003, 06:12 AM

StCirq,
"You don't have to get your ticket composted at the station" - do you mean that you don't have do get them validated at those orange machines - what's the point of that anyway?
JoeG
Old May 7th, 2003, 08:54 AM

JoeG, You validate the ticket when you board the train to indicate that the ticket has been used.

The SNCF has a very liberal exchange/refund policy on their tickets, even after the train you were reserved on has left. The concept is that you could get on the train, not validate the ticket, and a week later take the ticket to the station and get a new ticket for a small fee.

If you dont validate your ticket and are asked for it by the controller in the train, you will be fined. However, I have noticed that they go easy on foreigners at times and simply validate the ticket manually.
Old May 7th, 2003, 10:34 AM

JoeG:

According to the SNCF website (and friends who have used tehse tickets), with the new PREM tickets, you print out your own ticket and bring it with you, and no, you don't have to stick it in the little organge composteur machines.
Old May 7th, 2003, 10:45 AM

Perhaps I missed this, but I imagine the reason you don't have to compost them is because they are nonrefundable or nonusable at a different time? I mean, that they are only good for a certain time and route, is that the reason?

I think one issue regarding about what St Cirq said that you have a reservation if you have a ticket is that this isn't true if you have some kind of railpass. You still need to buy a separate reservation.
Old May 7th, 2003, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the responses. Is there a great difference between staying in first and second class.

Wren, we're staying at the Abbaye de Talloires near Annecy.
Old May 7th, 2003, 02:36 PM

I prefer first. There are 3 (2x1) seats across instead of 4 (2x2), your seat is wider,reclines, and you have more legroom. There are of course less people in the 1st cars so it is quieter. You also have more room for your luggage since there are less people. In general it is a calmer more pleasant environment than 2nd.

If you end up in a Duplex (double deck TGV) sit upstairs if you want to see the scenery and down if you want to sleep.
Old May 8th, 2003, 08:28 AM

I am trying to buy two sets of TGV tickets from Nice to Avignon and Avignon to Paris...I kept looking for the PREM fare at the SNCF Main page, but unfortunately I cannot find it...Any suggestions..? Merci,
kismet
Old May 8th, 2003, 09:05 AM

Kismetchimera:

Log onto the main SNCF page (in French) at www.sncf.com

Click on Réserver et Achetez.

Look in the upper-left-hand corner of your screen. You'll see a bunch of fares, including Paris-Avignon, advertised at 25 euros. At the bottom of that screen it says in tiny type that these are PREM fars. I assume you just click on the Paris-Avignon link to continue (sorry, really busy at work and can't check further right now).

If you're using the English site, it's possible they don't have the PREM fares on it.
Old May 8th, 2003, 10:27 AM
Routard

I book seats on the TGV and the PREM'S was offer under their first price they give me.
But it was 20 EUR more than the regular faires, witch is refundable... I found this on their french site.Hope it will help you.
P.S. english is my second language, sorry for any mistakes . Routard

Old May 8th, 2003, 12:40 PM
Routard

Sorry, please correct fare instead of faires and which instead of witch. My spouse is home to correct me!!! Routard.