TGV from CDG to Arles

Search

TGV from CDG to Arles

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TGV from CDG to Arles

I've read all of the posts about getting the TGV at the airport and traveling to Avignon.
But, does the same train continue on to Arles?
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 05:36 AM

No, but it is difficult to answer train questions without a specific travel date.

Those wanting to travel from CDG to Arles generally board a bus for the Avignon to Arles segment.
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 09:25 AM
ira

Hi kg,

All French train schedules, prices and tickets are at www.voyages-sncf.com

Old Jul 14th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you; I'll check this web site and then probably change my plans to arrive in Avignon and pick up a car there (rather than at Arles).
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 06:46 PM

You could also take the TGV to Nîmes, which is a bit closer to Arles (but not all that much). From there, there are local trains to Arles.

But I think your plan to pick up your car in Avignon is a good one. If you come in to the Avignon TGV station, it's on the southwest periphery of Avignon, so you don't really have to drive out of Avignon center, and it's about a 40 minute drive to Arles.

And the Avignon TGV station has a large rental car area right at the station, with lots of choice of rental companies.

When I dropped off a rental car once at Avignon, it was not very obvious to me where to go. There was an entrance to the big parking lot, which you had to get into by taking a ticket at the gate. It didn't seem logical that the rental car return would be INSIDE the paid parking. I figured they ought to have their own private area, but I couldn't find it.

But indeed, that's exactly where they are. You take a ticket as you enter, but you really don't need it, since you're dropping a car, so you never leave.

Maybe the signs are more explicit now.
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Justretired, for that tip on returning the car. I faced a similar situation at the car return at the Rome Airport last year.

Ira - just checked that web site and I am still a bit confused, so I may be asking additional questions later.
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 06:10 AM
ira

Ask away, KG.

That's why we are here.

Old Aug 28th, 2012, 06:58 AM

There are a few TGVs that go all the way to Arles from Paris Gare de Lyon..

Is there a separate TGV station in Arles, or do those TGVs use the (main) Centre Ville gare?
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 09:05 AM

there is only one train station in Arles
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 09:45 AM

Thank you, Christina; that is what I thought. I wasn't sure, because some cities have a separate TGV station.
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 10:35 AM

KellyGreta--You may speak French. If so, my post is irrelevant. But I just found out that the voyages-sncf website has a way to translate the page to English. If you scroll all the way down, click on "Langues et Pays" to bring up English. It may help you navigate the site better.
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 10:52 AM

While it is true that the www.voyages-sncf.com website is itself no longer available in English, simply selecting English as an option will bump you to www.tgv-europe.com From this website, if you select the USA as your country of residence, you will be bumped to www.raileurope.com which is a website you want generally to avoid; prices are much higher and train schedules sharply abbreviated.

If you absolutely cannot use www.voyages-sncf.com, select www.tgv-europe.com and click on Afghanistan, Antartic, or some other such location, prices and schedules will be the same as what is found on www.voyages-sncf.com (in euros) but you must pickup your tickets in France at either a train station service window or a SNCF boutique. Tickets will not be mailed to you. If you purchase a non-transferrable, non-refundable ticket such as a PREM or iDTGV ticket, you may print these at home.