Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Counting down to Naples, Cilento, Positano & Rome. Just 2 more questions.

Aug 27th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Original Poster

Hello,
We leave in about 3 weeks for a trip I planned months ago. I'm more than ready to leave: I've been climbing stairs to get ready for Positano & our hikes, I've spent way too much time thinking about which shoes to take, sketchbooks and pencils are packed, I've downloaded guidebooks & apps and I've got maps. Yes, actual paper maps.

We start off with 3 nights with friends in London. Then we'll be 2 nights in Naples, 3 in the Cilento, 4 near Positano and 4 in Rome.

I do have a couple more questions.

1. In Naples, I want to watch the view around sunset. Where's the best spot? Via Petrarca? Where is that? How do I get there from the center? When I google I find a few images but no details.

2. We have 2 full days (3 nights) in the Cilento - 2 at Terre di Bosco in San Giovanni a Piro and 1 in Hotel Maruliva in Pisciotta. I have no idea what to do for those 2 days! Swim? Rent a boat? Snorkel? Any thoughts or information? As you know, there just isn't much in guidebooks.

That's it. I think we've figured out most everything else. Everyone's help was terrific and plans are based largely on the good ideas and experiences of people on Fodors. I'll be sure to write a trip report!
Aug 28th, 2012, 07:31 AM
ekc

Congrats Rose! One thing I learned on my last trip to Positano was to leave several days open, so you can experience life in southern Italy as it comes. Although I tend to plan my trips to the nth degree, I left a few days open and really enjoyed it.

Have a great trip and I look forward to reading the trip report!
Aug 28th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks ekc - I agree. Our plans in Positano mostly consist of loafing. My only 'must-see' there is a visit to the paper museum in Amalfi. We may go on a hike or two, drink wine at sunset, swim a little.

But I'd love to know what fun things there might be to do in Cilento, especially near San Giovanni a Piro. I have in mind that we'll take a boat out, but don't know where to find that.
Aug 28th, 2012, 08:33 AM

In Napoli, a nice place to see the sunset view is in the bar of the Hotel San Francesco al Monte.

If you would rather not to have a drink, you can go up to the S. Elmo castle.

You can go to both those places just by taking the funiculare.

If you want to go to the via Petrarca, it is simplest if you take a taxi, but it might be hard to find one coming back.

Do you have a car with you in the Cilento? If so, take a drive to see Paestum, but even if you don't have a car, you might be able to take a train there.

http://www.summerinitaly.com/guide/pisciotta
Aug 28th, 2012, 08:53 AM

Once you see the view from Via Petrarc, it will stay with you for the rest of your life. I go to Naples frequently, (my wifes complete family lives there), and every time I go to Via Petrarc, it's like the first time. The view leaves me completely breathless. To get there, all you have to do is to take the number 32 bus from Piazza Garibaldi, (I believe it's still number 32), and get off when you get to Via Petrarc. You can't miss it. The bus runs along almost the complete length of Via Petrarc. Go about three stops once you get to Petrarc and just get off the bus. There are benches along the Via, and you can sit and behold. Getting back is easy. Just get on the returning bus to the last stop, which is the railway station at Piazza Garibaldi.
Aug 28th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Waldo - it was your earlier recommendation that put it on my list. I just couldn't figure out how to get there!

Thank you stracciatella - we will have a car in the Cilento. We pick up a car at the airport, after 2 days in Naples. We have it for the time we're in Cilento & Positano, then we return it to the Naples airport & take the bus into the city to catch the train to Rome.

We do plan to visit Paestum on our way to Positano! I'm looking forward to that! I'm also considering Veila too.