Search

Termini area

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Termini area

Will be in Rome in October. Have a reasonable (for Rome) room in the Termini area. Now having some misgivings about that area, based on some comments on this forum. It seems convenient to public transportation, and would appear to be in an area of decent restaurants and markets.
Not interested in 200 Euro prices, and willing to put up with SOME inconvenience to keep costs reasonable.
Would appreciate any comments.
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 11:39 AM

I always stay around Termini and have never felt unsafe, etc. what have you heard?

Seedy? maybe a tad right by the station entrances but not a few blocks in where most hotels are

I actually like the area though i would say that there are not many decent restaurants in the area IMO

There is a large supermarket right inside the east side entrance near the front of Termini station - in the concourse underneath - a very large supermarket with great prices.
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 11:59 AM

We stayed at the Canova in January, it is about a 5 minute walk from Termini. I loved this street Via Urbana. I have stayed a few times at the Valle on Via Cavour, I really liked it also. But one block back on Urbana and you have a whole different look, more local. The Via Cavour metro stop is just a few minute walk from either hotel.
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 12:05 PM

A friend of ours stayed with his pre-teen daughter at Hotel Des Artistes in the neighborhood and was quite pleased with it.
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 12:16 PM

It really depends on just <i>how</i> close you are to Termini.

I traveled to Rome as a solo woman and stayed in a nice little hotel about 4 blocks or so (less than a 10 minute walk with some serious luggage) from Termini called Hotel Dolomiti (on Via San Martino della Battaglia 11).

I think the places <i>directly</i> next to Termini were a little too close to the sketchiness (and I didn't feel comfortable when passing Termini late at night or super early in the morning).

However, I was pleasantly surprised because the area right around my hotel wasn't bad at all. In fact, I wished I'd stayed there for most of the trip because it was far less expensive than the first hotel I stayed at in Rome. There was also a really nice restaurant one block down.

True, I had to walk a lot more from the termini location, but there were many people out walking around, so I didn't feel unsafe. Also noticed a lot more police in that area. And is was SO convenient when I had to get to the airport and when I took the train to Florence. If you're looking for a lot of ambience at night, though, I don't know if I would have stayed in that area for that purpose. But if you don't mind walking and if you're looking for a less expensive area, then I think it's just fine. I'd stay in that area again, now that I know what to expect.
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 11:46 PM

We have always stayed in the Termini area and have never felt unsafe. It is very convenient for transportation anywhere.

The Monti district has true Roman atmosphere. Have a walk on Via Urbana, find a bar at Piazza d. Madonna dei Monti, listen to the local gossip and watch the children play. I prefer that to the Trevi Fountain!

Eric
http://www.sitestory.dk/rejser/indexe.htm
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 01:21 AM

Hi

My wife and I stayed near Termini when we went there and we didn't think it was a problem. We could walk to e.g. Colosseum in 15-20 minutes but it was also easy to take the bus or subway to get around. Here is my trip report with pictures and links http://gardkarlsen.com/rome_italy.htm . Maybe you can find some useful info there. Also check out this interactive Rome Google map that I have made http://gardkarlsen.com/rome_italy_map.htm . You can click on the various markers for more info

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 03:42 AM
jay

I agree with the other posters. We also stayed at the hotel des Artistes and it was very quiet and safe. The area around Termini is like any other area around a train station. Busy and crowded. Wouldn't describe it as unsafe. I wouldn't necessarily stay across the street because of the noise but not a bad area. We would always end our day at the bar/ sandwich shoppe with the purchase of 4 bottles of wine and then walk to the hotel to drink wine on the roof.
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 04:50 AM

How long are you staying? If for at least 4 days there are probably some apartment options that would be reasonably priced.
you don't say know how many people are traveling and what exactly you consider reasonable other than that it is less than 200 euros

You might also check out B &amp; Bs or convents

There are definitely more charming areas of Rome than the Termini neighborhood with equal access to public transport, restaurants and major tourist sites.