Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Tentative Itinerary for Cote d'Azur and Provence--feedback appreciated!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2004, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, all--

I am planning my first-ever trip to Europe--specifically, Northern Italy, the Cote d'Azur, and Provence--to take place this June, and would appreciate any feedback with which you could to provide me. I've rented a car for easy transportation between areas, but I am sort of worried that I'm trying to cram too much into a (relatively) brief period of time. However, it would also be unfortunate to allot too much time to an unexciting area. If anyone has any feedback or suggestions, I'd receive them most gratefully--thanks.

(May 31-June 4) Staying with friends in Corfino, Italy
June 5--Driving to Monte Carlo to sightsee, then staying in Juan-les-Pins.
June 6--Exploring Nice for the day, and staying again in Juan-les-Pins.
June 7--Driving to Marseille, sightseeing, then to Aix-en-Provence to explore, and staying in Arles.
June 8--Driving to Lyon, spending the day, and staying overnight.
June 9--Driving to Ticino, Switzerland and staying until the 11th.

From there, we're going to head to Turin, Novello, and back to Milan to fly out (on the 15th). Obviously, I haven't worked out the particulars of that segment yet--I'm more concerned (and excited) about the trek across France. Thanks for any suggestions you can send my way!

Christianne
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 08:10 AM

Just my opinion,

Your itinerary sounds fine until Day 7 - trying to do Marseille, Aix and Arles in a day is way too much. You won't really have time to see anything.
Then the next day driving on to Lyon - again makes no sense to me. If you really want to see Lyon on this trip, I'd say skip Arles/Marseille/Aix altogether and drive straight through from the Coast to Lyon. Save inland Provence for another visit....

Old Mar 29th, 2004, 12:53 PM

I've been having trouble posting but would have said just what Kevin did--Day 7 is much too ambitious, as you'll spend most of the time in the car. Driving from Jean-les-Pins to Arles will take the better part of the day, leaving little time for sightseeing. If this is a first trip for you, I'd be inclined to skip Marseille and even Aix in favor or more time in and around Arles. Then you could visit St-Rémy, Les Baux, and the marvelous Pont du Gard.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 02:51 PM

I meant Juan, of course--must have Jean Reno on my mind.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Your points are well-taken. I think I am going to excise Marseille and Aix from the schedule, but keep Arles--this time spending an entire day and night there. We're still going to Lyon, and now I'm wondering if it's a good idea or a little excessive to devote 2 days to that city...? In any event, thank you for your suggestions!
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 08:25 PM

Can you possibly do 1-1/2 days each place? Both have a great deal to offer--Lyon especially has wonderful food.

Old Apr 1st, 2004, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

I've decided to stay in Lyon for two days, but am torn about accomodations. As I'm not sure how easy it's going to be to get around the city--like I said, I do have a car, but even so, I don't know what the streets are like, or the layout--I'm hesitating before I book this great hotel I found, because it appears to be in Vieux Lyon, on the slopes of the Fourviere. I don't want getting into the heart of the shopping and entertainment districts to be a huge hassle (they appear, at least, to be on the other side of the river). Does anyone know whether or not getting from Vieux Lyon to (Nouveau?) Lyon is relatively easy or not?
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 08:52 AM

Have you tried the Lyon tourist site? There's a lot of useful information there.
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

So I've pared down my trip to the towns I most want to see, and the itinerary reads as follows:

June 5&6: Staying in Juan-les-Pins at the Hotel St. Charles, and exploring Nice and Monte Carlo at some point.
June 7: Driving to Aix-en-Provence to stay at the Hotel St. Christopher (it's a very "saint"-y trip so far). Spending the day in Aix, and getting up the next morning for the market (Tuesday morning, this is--I think I read that's when their market's held)
June 8: After going to market in Aix, driving to Arles to hang out and stay at Le Calendal.
June 9: Getting up to go to the market in Arles, then driving to St. Remy to stay at Hotel Sous les Figuiers. Now, I read that the market in St. Remy is on Wednesday morning, so theoretically I could hit that one, but how early do those things usually wrap up? If I get into town around 1, will I have missed the whole thing?
June 10: Driving to the Lugano area in Switzerland, and staying there and in Italy until I fly home.
I have a suspicious feeling that it's rather stupid to book hotels in 3 different towns that really aren't all that far apart...but c'est la vie, I guess, since I already booked them. If anyone has any recommendations on restaurants in those towns or knows anything about the "running times" of the markets, please let me know--I'd be very grateful. Thank you!
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 04:15 AM

Hi Christianne:
I have found that when planning a trip less is more.
Your original plan had way too much driving and your revised one still has a lot.
We have visited Provence some seven times in the past ten years and have stayed for two weeks each time. We never move more than two or three times on any one trip. On our last trip which was to the hill towns and villages above Nice we stayed put and took day trips.
Provence, like a good wine, has to be sipped. Just the thought of exploring quaint streets, old churches and watching life go by in the village square sets me to planning our next outing.
You will have a great time. Be sure to keep a diary and let us know how it went.
John
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 07:10 AM
ita

my philosophy of travelling is to read as much as I can about the area before hand, move as little as possible and take day trips. I like to be flexible, plan each day the night before (according to mood)but be prepared to change. I would choose one major destination each day and visit the interesting sites on the way. I would also alternate nature and museums for variety. Have a good trip
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 08:45 AM

Christianne, I'm curious how/why you picked Juan les Pins to stay. I don't know the hotel but, while J-l-Pins has great beaches &amp; <i>very</i> active nightlife, it is not as picturesque as other towns &amp; it is not particularly convenient for seeing Monte Carlo or Nice as it is past (west of) both. Also, if picking just 2 places to visit on the French coast, Monte Carlo is not, IMO, worth one. But, if you still want to see MC &amp; Nice, I'd say stay in Villefranche, Beaulieu, Cap Ferrat or Eze (in the hills). All are better situated &amp; will be a lot saner at night. If the nightlife is what you're looking for, then stay in J-l-Pins &amp; sightsee in Antibes, Biot, Cannes.
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

I selected Juan-les-Pins because I enjoy an active nightlife (the four nights prior to that, I'm staying in a pretty isolated town in Italy and will likely be ready to party a little) and also because, according to Michelin, it's only 30 minutes' drive from Nice and a bit further to Monte Carlo. I am sure that Michelin is not infalliable, but the cities do seem to look pretty close together. I appreciate your suggestions, though--perhaps I will try to see Biot and Antibes before we head out to Provence.