Going to Lyon,june 25 then Avignon and Aix en Provence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi.I'm a 39 years old single man from Brasil and I'm travelling alone to France from the next june 19 to july 08.I'm spending 6 nights in Paris in Hotel Balzac.Has anyone stayed there?Any suggestions about Restaurants?How about Man Ray,Budda Bar,Barrio Latino and Les Bains?
After Paris I'll go to Lyon by TGV.Any suggestions of 4 star hotels centrally located in Lyon?Has anyone stayed at Sofitel Bellecour? What about La Cour des Loges?And the Grand Hotel Mercure Perrache?
Any suggestions about bars and restaurants in Lyon?Has anyone been to Paul Bocuse restaurant near Lyon?
From Lyon I'll take TGV to Avignon.What about Hotel Cloitre St. Louis?Aren't the standard rooms small?And the Mercure Pont d'Avignon?And Les Frenes in Montfavet?
Is a car interesting in Avignon or only to tour the region?Any suggestions about bars and restaurants in Avignon?
From Avignon I'll go by car to Aix en Provence.What about hotel des Augustins,Le Pigonnet?Aren't the rooms to small?Is the location good?
I'll stay 4 nights in Lyon,4 in Avignon and 5 in Aix en Provence.
I intend to visit Gordes Les Baux de Provence and Arles.Any other suggestions?
Thank you very much
[email protected]
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 06:41 PM

George, You travel first class. I stayed at Coeur de Loges in Vieux Lyon a few years ago. It's very nice. Many great restaurants in Lyon. It's said to be the gastronomical capital of France. You can't go wrong.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 06:47 PM

Hi george,
I can only address a few points about your trip. You don't need a car while you stay in Avignon but when you're ready to leave, you can pick it up from the train station and tour the area from there. There are many posts on this board about the Cloitre St. Louis - apparently the new wing has larger, spacious rooms and that was my experience when I stayed there in 1995. At the time it was un-airconditioned and terribly hot at night, making my trip uncomfortable.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 05:27 AM
Chatters

geo: Lyon is a beautiful city, very much for pedestrian enjoyment. All the hotels you mentioned are centric and you should be able to do a lot of sightseeing and not use the metro once. Lyon is a gastronomical paradise, people who visit France for the food MUST visit Lyon if they are really serious about it. My favorite restaurant was Le Machonnerie, recommended by a local, authentic Lyonnesse food at very good prices. I believe Bocuse's restaurant is not within city centre.

Since there are many education centers in Lyon, there is a very young population around the city centre and plenty of clubs, etc. A definite must see is their Gallo-Roman Museum next to the Roman Amphitheater. Hope you have a great time. If you don't mind my question, have you considered a visit to the French Riviera???

Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Chatters,I've already been to the Riviera twice,in 1990 and 2001.
Everybody thanks to your help
Grasshoper,how were the rooms of Cour des Loges?
I'm waiting for answers about Avignon and Aix en Provence
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 08:38 AM

Paul Bocuse has his own exit off the Hwy.! It is fabulous...do ask to see the kitchen. Lyon's restaurants are fantastic. The one I liked was La Tasse which is a short walk down the Promenade in the Old Town. www.bocuse.com L'Auberge Du Pont De Collonges. www.latasse.fr
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 08:51 AM
SLHogan

George: I recently returned from Avignon and Aix. I can't help you with the bar scene in Avignon (or the restaurant question), but I can tell you that both Avignon and Aix are amazing places. I think my favorite of the 2 is Aix. I have to agree with the statement that you don't need a car in Avignon - you can get everywhere by foot or by bus.

Avignon was my base and I stayed at 1 star hotel. It was clean and nice. My room was a bit small, but since I was only there to sleep, it didn't bother me.

Have fun on your trip!

Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:08 AM

Geo,

I stayed at Cour des Loges in 2002 and just booked a room for later this year (October). My room was a "deluxe" and it was very nice...modern, luxurious conveniences in a historic structure, with contemporary stylings.
I have read some negative reviews of the size of the standard rooms, but have never seen inside one.
This is an elegant hotel with an excellent staff. We enjoyed Cour des Loges very much. It's located in Vieux Lyon; a beautiful neighborhood.

We also enjoyed having a car while in Avignon. The region is rich with sites (Pont du Gard, Chateauneuf du Pape) and we used our car every day. It's a great base for the area.

Have a great trip,
j.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 10:25 AM

As I walked down from Fourvière hill in May I went by the Florentine a 4*L hotel and at the bottom of the hill Cour des Loges.

The Florentine is a few feet up the hill so some of the rooms must have gorgeous views. I believe it has a swimming pool and that their restaurant rates 1 Michelin star.

I only walked into the lobby of the Cour des Loges last year. It's beautiful. You feel like you're in an Old World Italian loggia.

Of the areas you've mentioned Perrache, Bellecour and Vieux Lyon, I'd pick Vieux Lyon if I had the budget. It's a world heritage site that's fun to explore on foot. Lots of shopping and restaurants are around. I walked by a couple of clubs that had probably just closed as I went through at 8:00am on a Saturday morning.

In reference to another of your posts I would not recommend a car in Lyon. It would be about as worthless as having one in Paris. I walked from Perrache to Vieux Lyon in less than 20 minutes.

The only disco I came close to visiting was the Ice Bar, at least I think that was its name. It's on the Saône River directly west of Perrache train station. The night life runs very late for my tastes. By the time I left at 11:00pm it was barely starting. I liked their location along the water which will be a lot more fun at the end of June then when I was there the first of May.

I thoroughly enjoyed my dinner at Le Bristot Lyon, a Jean-Paul Lacombe restaurant. It's across the river from Vieux Lyon on the Presque'Ile. It's on a mostly pedestrian set of streets that wind from Place des Jacobins up to Place Terreaux.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

John and Lhogan,thank you.
Josh,my problem is that the room that I CAN PAY(160 e) in Cour des Loges is what they call "duplex",it's the standard room.
Indy,the Villa Florentine is out of my budget(230 E the standard room)I'm afraid of taking the standard room in Cour des loges
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 06:57 PM

Geo,
I believe the duplex rooms at Cour des Loges have a small living area on the first level, and the bed is located on a loft level. I would suspect these rooms offer ample space for one person.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 02:43 PM

We stayed at Le Pigonnet in Aix and liked it very much. It was a great location, lovely hotel, walking distance to the main cites. They even gave us an upgrade when I asked, which was very nice--gorgeous all marble bathroom. The gardens are gorgeous and the staff was helpful.