Search

Tenerife Island -- Canary Islands

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tenerife Island -- Canary Islands

Hi Fodorites,

I was reading some older posts for Tenerife and Gran Canaria and most posts say that these islands are "hellhole" -- talks about tourist getting robbed and unsafe -- is it true? Anyone has been there around summer time like late June? Any opinion, advice? If we want to explore beyond the islands, should we head to Spain, Portugal or Morrocco? We will have 10 to 14 days in mid June.

Thanks a lot for your time, opinion and insights. Happy New Year.
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 12:21 AM

I live in Tenerife since 2004 and I can say that Tenerife is a very safe place.
Because Tenerife needs the tourist they will do anything to make it safe for them. Of course you must always be carefull for pick pockets on markets etc.. but that is obvious.
If you come to Tenerife and rent a car and explore the island, you will be surprised by the variety it has to offer.
It is also a cheap island to go out eating, drinking, also fuel only 0,9 euro/liter.
Good luck!
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 01:13 AM

I was a bit concerned when I read your posting t0101 since I'm going to Puerto de la Cruz last week of February but thanks to Tenerife I'm sure we'll have a wonderful time! I went there with my job team in 2002 (Playa de la Americas) at the same period and thought I had to come back with my family. Never felt unsafe there but thought things had changed... Muchas gracias!
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Tenerife for your quick reply. We will be there at the end of June for a week like 25th June to 2nd July .. any recommendations for what we must do (love mountains so one day will definitely be hiking) -- we are not into water sports coz I am not a good swimmer, but kids are (though I won't want to send them alone). We have a week to 10 days before we land in tenerife (still has to make flight bookings) -- any suggestions where we should go before Tenerife. We are looking for affordable vacation for us (Our three kids are between 7 and 11 year old). Value your advice and opinion as you will know what to do in mid June around Tenerife.
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 03:11 AM

We are going to Tenerife for the day while on a cruise. We are doing the Canadas del Teide excursion, but two of our group want to visit the Tenerife aircrash disaster memorial De Wenteltrap at Mesa Moto, which I believe is in a national park. They do not want to rent a car, could they take a taxi from Santa Cruz to the memorial, and how long would the journey take? I would be very grateful for any advice, as I have scoured the websites without success. thanks, Pam Venter
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 05:04 AM

TENERIFE - BEEN THERE, DONE THAT? COME ON GUYS!

I need info on how to visit the Tenerife air disaster memorial DE WENTELTRAP at Meso Moto. This would be from Santa Cruz by taxi.
Thanks
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 05:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Purely a guess, but as the Airport is on the outskirts of Santa Cruz, and the monument overlooks it, I would say the journey would be no more than 15-30 minutes. As Tenerife is a volcanic Island, and very steep, it would all depend on the narrowness and number of switchbacks on the roads.

I've been to Tenerfie a couple of times, and will almost certainly go back again. There are large areas of mass tourism apartment/disco/beach which may be not to everybody's taste. Equallythere are wilderness areas where you can hike/explore well away from the crowds. The scenery, particularly up on Mount Teide is spectacular.
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 05:41 AM

Here's a link to some info on the memorial:

http://www.tenerife-marketing.co.uk/...o-heaven.shtml
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 05:43 AM

16kms, 25mins, €10-11 each way incl. harbor access fees, excl. waiting time (€15/hr).

Location of Monument:
go to Google Maps, paste destination into search box:
Carretera Mesa Mota, 38280 Tegueste

Taxis
http://www.taxitenerife.es/
enter website, click "Tarifas" on navigation bar
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 03:06 PM

Tenerife-I put a question on Europe-Spain for help on planning a trip to the Canaries. My direst E-mail is there.If you have time can you answer some questions. Thanks.
It doesn't look much activity is on these islands-Chris
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 08:37 PM

Chris-did you do your trip yet to the Canary Islands? Is so would you be so kind to share where you went and where you stayed? thanks-
Old Oct 5th, 2011, 10:25 AM

For those who have been to Tenerife-where would you position yourself if you aren't necessarily looking to do the usual boozing and sun? My family of four(hubs,myself and two grownup kids-26 and 29) going the last two weeks of December 2011 want to do natural history stuff,cultural and possibly be more in a town than a resort? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Old Oct 5th, 2011, 11:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In general, the Southern resorts (Playa de las Americas/ Los Christianos) are the mass tourism party places. I seem to remember that Los Gigantas was slightly more upmarket.

The Northern coast is less sunny so not as popular, but I enjoyed a stay at Puerta de la Cruz. I have been told there is a decent area of Volcanic wilderness north of Santa Cruz which is good for hiking and mountain biking. A work colleague raved about Gomera - the Island to the west of Tenerife which is easily reached by ferry from the southern resorts.