Tell me where to go NEXT MONTH!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2015, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll make this short and sweet. I'm 28, husband is 38. We want to plan a trip for early July (so yes in exactly one month) for 10-12 nights. I'll be 25 weeks pregnant. We did a Mediterranean cruise two years ago which we loved but cruise lines won't let me on past 24 weeks. Last year we did London, Paris, Rome and Florence for two weeks. We want to try somewhere new this time. We like to explore and eat and sightsee. Not much into museums and that kind of thing. Would also like somewhere we can relax and take it easy a few days in case all the walking is too much for me (beach town/city?). Give me some ideas please I need to book ASAP!!! Sweden and Denmark? Spain? Too hot there? South of France?
Old Jun 8th, 2015, 05:03 PM

Will the airlines let you fly there and back. One would think so - but each one varies - and it can even depend on how pregnant you look.

In any case I would only go somewhere with immediate access to the best medical care (meaning a large city or nearby).

Spain will be hellishly hot. Scandinavia cool and very expensive - but there are lots of opportunities for relaxation, including a number of boat trips.
Old Jun 8th, 2015, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Yup flying should be fine! I'll be just at the end of my second trimester, most are ok with it until the last month. My doctor is ok with it as well. Can you elaborate on the boat trips in Scandanavia ?
Old Jun 8th, 2015, 05:14 PM

Try the alps. You'll have a good shot at moderate temperatures, great scenery, cute towns to explore, hiking galore, and, at least in France, some great food. You could try the French alps in and around Chamonix, the Swiss alps around Interlaken, or the Engadine area in s.e. Switzerland. And then there's Austria.
Old Jun 8th, 2015, 05:52 PM

But not high altitude if you heed the CDC advice: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbo...nant-travelers "Environmental Considerations."
Old Jun 8th, 2015, 06:23 PM

I would do the triangle that is Munich/Bavaria, Salzburg, and Prague. Better temps, fabulous scenery, and great beer.
Old Jun 8th, 2015, 06:28 PM

I would probably ask your doc about any limitations on elevation gain. Just to be sure you are both safe to do that. I know it affects the healthiest of people so there might be some issues with pregnancy and elevations that you don't know about.
Old Jun 8th, 2015, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

I assume the concern with elevations is more with hiking and the alps correct? Not with air travel as I've done that a lot already through the pregnancy and my doctor has been ok with it. I'm not the most athletic person on earth so I would pass on the hiking anyway, especially at this time lol
Old Jun 8th, 2015, 07:23 PM

Yes, I was referring to the elevations with regards to the mountains. Just to be safe you know. The oxygen is thinner and breathing can be more difficult for those who live at sea level.
Old Jun 8th, 2015, 09:55 PM

Older airplanes are pressurized at 8,000 ft level, while newer planes like Boeing 787 at 6,000 ft and Airbus 380 at 5,000ft.

The Jungfraujoch train station is at 11,332 ft, while Aiguille du Midi cable car station is at 12,605 ft.
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 01:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Like the idea of the Baltic states, very mum to be friendly. I'd include the Polish Coast (Gdansk) and the likes of Llithuania, Latvia etc before you get to Helsinki (lots of spas and lolling around) try and get to a hotel on a small island and saunas. Then onto Sweden and Denmark.

The Baltic is pretty shallow and tideless, so it gets good and warm so that, despite the northerlyness it is still warm without being hot. The locals all move outside and enjoy the fine weather before it freezes up again.

Norway is the only odd one in this group, it depends if the wallet can stand it, if it can then a good fjord and fjell will worth an explore. But don't buy beer, $$$$.
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

lol thanks everyone. I definitely won't be buying beer, but I can't promise that my husband won't ;-)
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 05:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To hel
sinki
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Is that supposed to be funny? ��
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 08:14 AM

Stockholm is right on the water and surrounded by an archipelago with about 30K island (yes, many are just rocks) but you can visit several of the larger ones, including one with a summer royal palace (Drottingholm). There are also a number of ferries from the various islands of Sweden to denmark and within Denmark.

We love this area and the middle of summer is the perfect time to go - even hotel prices can be lower since many locals are on vacation in southern europe.

I love Stockholm and Copenhagen and there are many other day trips. Helsinki is OK, but not my favorite.

Just be aware that prices are much higher than in the US.

Switz is another good option - as long as altitude isn;t an issue for you - but is also very expensive.
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 12:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's just weird travel humour. No worries.
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

lol got it. So Stockholm and coppenhagen seem like good options so far. I keep hearing they are expensive. What is the expensive part? Food? Hotels? And compared to places like Paris and Rome, is it double the price or how much more expensive relatively speaking? If a trip to Paris and Rome costs say 6k, can I expect to spend 12k there or is the different not that high?
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 01:02 PM

I would go to Germany. Easy driving or public transportation. Beautiful lakes, rivers,and mountains. I love the food. The best salads and most wonderful veggies. A little of the city and country.
I like the Frankfurt area and the Munich area. My husband picks Munich and southern Bavaria over Frankfurt though. Euro is so good.
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 01:09 PM

Provence sounds like just what you need. Everything's gorgeous, drives along smaller roads are pleasant, food is great, very florid and easygoing everything. Pretty little out-of-the-way towns, sensual delights, little stress. Nice strollable beaches. Somewhere near the Camargue, Aigues Mortes - - an apartment or home with kitchen. The only possible negatives might be a heat spell, or if the winds kick up (the Mistral), as they can be annoying if constant.

In any case, baby will thank you for it for all eternity.

(I haven't been to Sweden but it should be similarly mild, beautiful, and low stress - - ultra civilized).