Italian Alps Vs Switzerland beauties

Old Oct 11th, 2016, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italian Alps Vs Switzerland beauties

Murren, Wengen, Interlake, Jungfrau are regions which easily attract u towards Switzerland beauty.

My question is, if anyone traveling to Italy, should go to Italian alps instead of the Switzerland beauties. Would he come out happy and satisfied or Switzerland natural beauty is something special than these what these Italian alps can offer and should travel to Switzerland if he wants to see nature beauty of Alps.

Travelling month is July
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 06:52 AM

I think the Italian Alps are just as beautiful as the Swiss Alps. In fact, the last time I was in Switzerland, as wonderful as it was, I was thinking that the Alps in Italy (and France) might be just as good and a lot less expensive. And I think I was right. So the next year I went to the Dolomites and the Val d'Aosta and they were both great. I have now seen the Matterhorn from both the Swiss and Italian sides and they are equally great. And the Dolomites were outstanding as well.

Here's my trip report from those areas - http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...nd-castles.cfm
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 10:55 AM

I think they are both absolutely and equally beautiful. The little villages in the bernese oberland valley are charming and certainly worth experiencing. We found the Dolomites to be less touristy as compared to BO/swiss alps. You will find tons of tourists in July Switzerland. And the Dolomites will be cheaper as compared to BO. If this is going to be your only trip to the region I would try and cover both.
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 11:34 AM

Yes the high Alps straddle the Italian/French/Swiss borders and are obviously awesome on each side.

But one area that IME is set off from the others is the Jungfrau Region near Interlaken.

Here you find the easiest access to many parts of the Alps- a myriad of toylike trains and aerial gondolas going off in all directions. Plus it is easy to get to the bases like Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen by train.

Parts of Italian Alps I have seen lack this dense transportation infrastructure making it harder to get around.

Yes Switzeland is more expensive than the other two but for the finest easiest Alpine experience for the first-time traveler I'll take the Jungfrau Region as the premier place to head - crowds and all.
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 02:25 PM

The most impressive mountains are, to me, actually the Dolomites with their bizarre shapes and vertical limestone rocks. This is something that you won't find anywhere in Switzerland.
Old Oct 12th, 2016, 02:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all

The opinion seems divided here, but what i understand is that Swiss alps are the best on an overall prospective(beauty, mountains, transportation, easier access) but the Italian alps are not far behind and what they might lack is less easier transportation

How many days one should spend in each or a basic itinerary to have a good look at them
Old Oct 12th, 2016, 04:06 AM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
We based in Ortisei, Val Gardena, for a week in July this year. An easy bus ride from Bolzano, then a week cablecar and bus pass covering the many cablecars in the valley (3 in Ortisei itself). It is really beautiful. Photos from the various trails are towards the end of my album linked in my TR if you're interested.
Old Oct 12th, 2016, 04:16 AM

"The opinion seems divided here, but what i understand is that Swiss alps are the best on an overall prospective(beauty, mountains, transportation, easier access)"

As a Swiss citizen who lives close to Bernese Oberland, I would say that it's not so easy:

The highest mountains and the biggest glaciers are all in the 3 nation Aosta Valley/Valle de Chamonix/Valais area. The most famous places there are Chamonix-Argentieres, Courmayeur, Cogne, Breuil/Cervinia, Gressoney, Verbier, Crans-Montana, Zermatt, Saas Fee, Macugnaga, Riederalp.
These places have tons of mountain railways,lifts and bus lines up to high places.
In Italy, most of them run only inJuly and August, may be in the first week of September. In France, it's similar, but the most important on's run in September and sometimeseven in Ocotber too. In Switzerland (except Verbier and Crans-Montana), everything runs from early June until mid/end October.
All famous places in Italy are crowded from the first until the last weekend of August. In the other periods you are fine. In Switzerland, only the Jungfrau area, Zermatt and Riederalp get corwded if the weather is fine (July - October). In smaler areas, there are no crowds at all, but the whole infrastructure works.
Old Oct 12th, 2016, 12:59 PM

Nice to have a Swiss input!
Old Oct 13th, 2016, 09:04 AM

Really nice to get a compliment from Palen (despite I didn't say that the Jungfrau area is the best!)
Old Oct 13th, 2016, 10:21 AM

I would spend 5 days in Bernese Oberland and 3 days in the Dolomites region.
Old Oct 13th, 2016, 11:40 AM

What's on the Italian side of the Matterhorn - anything like Zermatt and the train going to the summit - I'm under the impression that there is no public transit similar to the Swiss side - am I wrong (and I really do not know)but curious.
Old Oct 14th, 2016, 03:19 AM

Italian side:
Gondola Breuil/Cervinia - Plan Maison - Cime Bianche - Testa Grigia (Swiss border, 3500m, 1 1/2 km west of Kleinmatterhorn/Matterhorn Paradise), since 1939
Gondola - Breui/Cervinia - Furggrat (Swiss border) later replaced by gondola to Theodul Pass (3330m)
skilifts Plateau Rosa/Kleinmatterhorn since about 55 years

Swiss side:
gondola Zermatt - Kleinmatterhorn/Matterhorn Paradise, since 1980.
Old Oct 15th, 2016, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Would it be a good idea to spend time in both Alps meaning one would be spending 8-9 nights from the 25 night trip
Old Oct 15th, 2016, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Would it be a good idea to spend time in both Alps meaning one would be spending 8-9 nights from the 25 night trip