Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Tell me about DINGLE and the BLASKET ISLANDS?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you visited Dingle, the Dingle Peninsula, and the Blasket Islands? I'd love your help!

I'm planning our first family trip to Ireland for next summer 2006. Hubby and I will be travelling with young adult daughters.

I have read 3 guidebooks and the Dingle area is really calling me! I'm planning 2 or 3 nights in Dingle. Our interests are scenery, history, culture, the Gaelic language, music pubs, meeting the locals, and nature (hubby's a biologist.)

We want to do the Dingle Peninsula drive. I figure I would need 3 nights in Dingle if we go over to the Blasket Islands as well. I am very interested in the fact that folks used to live there and several writers grew up there.

Did you visit the Blasket Islands, and did you find it was worth the trouble? We have 3 writers/avid readers and 1 biologist in our family... Wondering if visiting the island is worth it or if it's better to just visit the Blasket Island Centre on the mainland...

PLEASE HELP WITH DRIVING TIMES! How long does it take to drive from Dingle to the following places:
Dingle to Lisdoonvarna
Dingle to Galway
Dingle to Kenmare
Dingle to Shannon airport
Dingle to Dublin
Dingle to Belfast
Dingle to Trim

Thanks very much! I know where we want to visit but am having trouble putting the itinerary in order.

Old Jul 28th, 2005, 09:30 AM

Well the Dingle Peninsula is at the forefront of my many European travel memories. A depopulated peninsula (most of its former inhabitants either died in the Potatoe Famine of around 1850 or emigrated to the US or Canada) - few inhabitants now but relics of ages long gone - the beehive huts centuries ago built by hermit monks i believe - and wild seaside settings - cliffs falling into the rough sea. Ireland's westernmost point where you can go down to a sandy beach framed by huge boulders and think 'the next land from here is North America - and one of the few places, due to its remoteness, where Gaellic is still spoken as the lingra franca - never forget going to the local pub from the youth hostel on the western tip of the peninsula and hearing the locals actually speaking Gaellic. The Dingle Peninsula - well worth going out of your way for. Stay in a B & B not in Dingle but at the western tip of the peninsula, where at night, if on the rare clear night, there are more stars out than you ever imagined - no urban lights to diminish their intensity - go out at night and let your dreams go! I'll never forget sitting on the isolated beach, drinking some Guinness and looking Westward Ho. This type of setting, its remoteness, is so rare these days - Dingle in nice enough but just another town. Staying a night out there will be an indelible memory that lasts in your mind for the rest of your life. Well that's just my opinion.

Old Jul 28th, 2005, 09:32 AM

This site will help you with estimated driving times. Add a little time to allow for sheep and/or farm equipment in the road:

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/routes/

Old Jul 29th, 2005, 05:56 AM

Just me again, Melissa!

If you get to spend several days in Dingle, I highly suggest that you visit the Great Blasket, largest of the Blasket Islands. I was not able to go this last May (though we did make it to Skellig Michael) due to time constraints, weather and lack of enthusiasm on my part for another boat ride, but we did visit the Blasket Heritage Centre and spent a good hour plus learning all about the Blaskets, it's history and it's people. Fascinating tales all!

http://www.dingle-peninsula.ie/index.html

The AA site is really good with directions and the like but, as Budman says, add time (~30%) to the estimates they give you. More if you are going through major towns like Cork or Dublin. (Use the Bypasses if at all possible.)

TTFN,

Wendy
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 06:17 AM

Just so you know...transportation to both the Blasket and Skellig Islands depends upon the weather and water conditions. We unfortunately hit bad weather in June on the days we had planned for excursions there. If it is possible, build some flexibility into your schedule if you wish to visit! I figure I have a good excuse to return now, but was disappointed to miss them this year.
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 11:51 PM
Original Poster

QUESTION #1: Can we visit the Killarney National Park as a day-trip from Dingle? (and have time for a nature walk in the woods?) Is it about a 90-minute drive from Dingle to Killarney National Park, in June/July? What if we get lost in the fog on the way back to Dingle?!

QUESTION #2: I have a choice between spending 3 nights in Dingle and 2 nights in Kenmare; or else spending 4 nights in Dingle, skipping Kenmare, and using the extra night in either Galway, Cashel, or Dublin. (Without the extra night Galway, Cashel, or Dublin would be a 1-night stay.)

We will have a car. So if we spend 4 nights in Dingle, that allows time for day-trips to the Great Blasket Island, Dingle Peninsula, and Killarney National Park.

PALQ: Thanks for sharing your vivid memories of wild and beautiful Dingle. I am quite interested in finding that pub at the western-most tip where the locals were speaking Gaelic...looking at my map, that would be near Slea Head, or Ballyferriter?

BUDMAN: Thanks for the link to "AA" for driving times! I am adding 30% to driving times as suggested...Wow, this really helps me plan!

WENDY: We will definitely visit the Blasket Heritage Centre, and hopefully the weather will be good to take a boat over to the Great Blasket Island. Do you dream of Ireland day and night, like I have been?!

WONDERING: Sorry you had to miss going to the Blasket and Skellig Islands. Better luck next time with the weather...
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 04:20 PM

We (four adults and two children ages 8 and 12) just spent two weeks in Ireland- a week on the Dingle Peninsula and a week in Donegal. (July 9-July 24)

First time to Ireland and LOVED it. Would go back to Dingle in a heartbeat!!

Our visit to the Great Blasket Island was one of the highlights of our trip.

We rented a cottage in Dunquin on Dingle which happened to be right across the street from the Blasket Island Heritage Center. We started our 'Blasket Day' with a visit to the center and then drove up the road to catch the ferry. I would agree with the above poster to allow for some flexibility for weather so you are able to get out to visit the Island.

From Dingle, we also did two day trips to Killarney- one to visit Muckross House and Farm and then another to do the Gap of Dunloe (another great day- Pony Trap or Hike the 7 mile 'Gap' then a boat ride through three lakes back to Ross Castle. This was arranged with Cocoran Tours). It was just under a 90 minute trip- no fog at all. Heading to Killarney the road takes you by Inch Beach. If you have any interest in Shackleton and his expedition- stop in Anascual on the way home to have a pint at the South Pole Inn. One of Shackleton's crew- Tom Crean was from this town and the pub has many pics and articles.

Shannon Airport to Dingle is about 2 1/2 hours. The AA site worked well for us- and we added the 30% timing and all worked well- I printed many variations on a theme before we left.

Oh- I just re-read this thread and the Hostel PalQ mentions I think is in the town of Dunquin (about 20 min from Dingle town). There was a Hostel near our house (near the Blasket Heritage Center)and a pub down the road. Great spot!

Hope that helps! Whaaa....I totally want to go back!!!

Old Aug 1st, 2005, 05:31 PM

We were in Ireland in early June and spent two nights at the Ceann Tra B & B near Ventry, just west of Dingle. It was a very nice place to stay, purpose-built as a B & B with an accomodating hostess. Dingle had lots of tourists and shopping. The Blasket Centre and trip to the Great Blasket Island was one of the highlights of our visit. I would recommend visiting the Centre first. The history is fascinating - wonderful displays and an interesting short film. Also lots of books in the gift shop with personal accounts of living on the islands. We caught the small boat that takes you to the Island from Dunquin. Even the dock area is scenic! I would recommend trying to go as early in the morning as possible. In early June it was still fairly quiet on the island, but they said in mid-summer 400 people an hour are disembarking (hard to imagine). There is a hostel and cafe on the island, however they weren't open for the season yet when we were there. There are also wide paths to walk around the island and a beautiful beach. We were lucky to have a cloudless day for our visit. Unless you plan to have lunch at the cafe and do quite a bit of hiking a hour or two is probably enough time to spend there. We got back to the mainland around two o'clock and arrived in Bunratty that evening around 6:30, if I remember correctly.
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 04:00 AM

"QUESTION #2: I have a choice between spending 3 nights in Dingle and 2 nights in Kenmare; or else spending 4 nights in Dingle, skipping Kenmare, and using the extra night in either Galway, Cashel, or Dublin. (Without the extra night Galway, Cashel, or Dublin would be a 1-night stay.)"

I can't image what anyone would do in Dingle for 2 days, let alone 3. Galway is definately not worth the trouble. There is really nothing to see. Driving to Dublin for 1 day is crazy. First, Dublin isn't very interesting and second, wait until you start driving in Ireland. It the worst place in the world to drive.
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 05:20 AM

BevK...I just looked at the website for the BandB you mentioned in Ventry. Looks very nice! Can you recall how long a walk into Ventry it was, and is there anything there? We're considering staying NEAR Dingle but not in Dingle.

Thanks.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 11:47 PM
Original Poster

CAMPINGGAL: thanks for the great info on Dingle and the Blasket Islands...sounds like you had a great trip and found plenty to do during your 1-week stay on the Dingle Peninsula! It is really helpful to know about your day-trips. No, I don't know anything about Shackleton, but I will try to look it up. If you go back will you rent the cottage in Dunquin again, or will you stay in Dingle town? That part I'm not sure about...

Your kids were younger than mine...I will be traveling with young adult "kids", so we will want to do the pubs at night, and I'm nervous about driving (with the possibility of other drivers being drunk) back to the hotel from the pubs. Your cottage location in Dunquin sounds great...there is also an advantage to staying in town with the pubs within walking distance from a hotel...choices, choices...

I'm even more excited to see the Dingle area and Blasket Island after your description!

Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 11:54 PM
Original Poster

BEVK: Thanks for your info. You're another person who found the Great Blasket Island to be one of the highlights of your visit. I'm a writer and avid reader so the island intrigues me.

IS THERE A TOILET on the Great Blasket Island for visitors?! This is a vitally important question. You mentioned the hostel and cafe were closed...what about the toilet?!

Thank you, anyone who has the answer to this question!
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 12:03 AM
Original Poster

METELLUS: It's always informative to hear a dissenting opinion. Since you don't like Galway, Dublin, or Dingle too much, how do you prefer to spend your time in Ireland?

We plan to spend at least 3 nights in Dingle town or close by. But that doesn't mean I would be spending 3 days in Dingle. This would be our base...we always explore out from our base. We don't hang around the hotel or B&B all day. We get up in the morning, have breakfast, and do day-trips in the car. Then we like to have a familiar place to return to in the evening. A 3-night stay in Dingle would only give us 2 full days, which isn't that much really. (I don't count travel days between destinations...they are for driving and for unplanned surprises en-route.)
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 05:22 PM

Melissa5-

Yes, I would rent the same cottage in Dunquin in a heartbeat- or even one similar in Dunquin- really enjoyed the scenery around that area. There is a pub in Dunquin that was within walking distance of the house that seemed busy- particularly on days when sporting matches were being televised.

Tough call on the location- I probably would have enjoyed being within walking distance of town too- I love early morning walks thru villages. Having older daughters- it probably would be fun to go hear music then have a leisurely stroll back to your place. You can take a boat from Dingle to the Blasket Islands too- it is a 40 minute boat ride. You purchase tickets at a small shop right near the harbor near the tourist info office.

If you stay in town, you can still drive the Slea Head Drive to the Blasket Island Center, then take the ferry just up the road from there (20 min boat ride).

If you want to get a jumpstart on some Irish literature- check out Islandman by Tomas O Crohan. He was one of the writers from the Blaskets. Pieg Sayers is another Blasket Island writer.

Now to specifics- yes, there is a toilet on the island and a spring for water. The 'Cafe' is more like a lady who lives out there in the summer who will serve you coffee or tea. I think I read that if you get there early enough, you can purchase food. We were there at about 2:00 pm on a Sunday and didn't see much in the way of food.

Happy planning!
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 08:04 AM

Hi Melissa,
Yes, there were two toilets on the island, next to the hostel.

Oopsy, the b and b in Ventry was about 1/4 mile from the main road, where there was a pub and post office. Another block or so downhill to the bay and beach. An easy walk down, kind of steep back up to the b and b, but worth it for the view. I think the drive into Dingle was maybe 10 minutes at the most.