How many Dingle days?

Old Mar 25th, 2004, 10:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many Dingle days?

I am working out an itinerary for my parents for their Ireland Vacation in June. I am debating how many nights is best for a Dingle stay. The itinerary (so far) looks somethings like this:

Arrive Shannon 7:00 A.M. drive to cashel

Cashel or Caher (1) (on route Kilkenny)
Kilkenny (2) (family roots research)
Kinsale (2)
Kenmare (2)
Dingle (3 or 4)
Doolin (2)
Depart Shannon Airport

They just changed thier flight plans and now have an extra day in Ireland and I am wondering whether I should use it in Dingle or otherwise maybe it could be used for a longer stay in Kilkenny or maybe even a day near Waterford in Dunmore East.

For those of you who have been to dingle what do you think is best 3 nights or 4 nights?
Maybe this is another thread but I am also wondering if maybe it is to redundant to do both the ring of Kerry and Dingle since I hear the scenery is very similiar. If this is the case maybe I will trim a Kenmare day.

I really would appreciate any feedback I am kind of stessing. Thank god it's only March. I want them to have a great vacation.

Old Mar 25th, 2004, 11:14 PM

Personally, while I had a rip roaring time in Doolin, I was fine with one night there.

Are your parents OK with driving (and have they driven on the left before). I think it's pretty easy to get the hang of rather quickly, but they may not want to drive every other day. What looks like it would only take 2 hours on the map could easily take 4.

Dingle is a lovely place and your parents may just want to relax there for awhile. Slea Head drive can be done in a day with low stress. If your folks are pretty adventurous, there is the Connors Pass outside of Dingle.

I also liked Galway, but it may be too "Big" for their tastes (it is a large city after all). However it is a short drive from Shannon airport too. (2 hours).
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 11:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply.
I was thinking two nights in or near Doolin so that they could have one day full day to explore the area and maybe take a ferry out to Inishmore or just explore the Burren and relax before thier journey home.
I agree that it is a lot of driving but since Kilkenny and Dingle are on the opposite ends of the Isle I can't figure it any other way and I have heard good things about co cork plus they want to see that darn Blarney castle and so Kinsale will be their base for doing that.
It is definately a puzzle.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 03:11 AM

Such a good daughter! You've got a great plan in the works.

Dingle is one of my favorite places in Ireland, so I always vote for extra time there. The town itself is interesting and fun, and driving around the peninsula is fascinating. In addition to the dramatically beautiful Slea Head drive, there are a number of interesting little towns and a large number of ancient and historic sites.

I wouldn't add time to Kilkenny unless you think they'll need it for their research work.

The Ring of Kerry is gorgeous, but 'quieter' than the Dingle Peninsula, I think. A more gentle beauty, compared to Dingle which can knock you out and take your breath away.A very different place they might like to visit from their Kenmare base is the Beara Peninsula to the south. It feels much more remote and isolated and is much more rugged.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 03:23 AM

I like the two days in Doolin, too. Although I'm not a big fan of the town itself, there's a lot to explore in the west Clare area.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 05:07 AM

I personally think 2 days in Dingle is sufficient. It's not that large of a Peninsula.

I didn't see Killarney in your itinerary. A lot to see in the area -- Muckross House, waterfalls & hiking, Gap of Dunloe, Ring of Kerry, boat trip to Skelligs, etc.

The 2 days in Doolin, not for just visiting Doolin, but the Loop Head Peninsula, Kilkee, Lahinch, Cliffs of Moher, Ballyvaughn (have lunch at Monk's Pub), and the Barren.

Might want to consider spending last night in Bunratty, see the castle and Folk Park, lunch at Mac's Pub, a drink at Durty Nellie's (just to say you've been there), and attend the Mdeieval Banquet at the Castle. This is not a "must" do, but it was a lot of fun.

Waterford? I would avoid it. The crystal making tour was interesting, but there weren't any bargains in crystal as they don't make any 2nd's.

Above all, drink lots of Guinness.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 07:32 AM

Hi cheriann:

I like your itinerary a lot, and Dingle is one of the most beautiful spots in Ireland. That said, I believe Budman is right. It is very compact. He mentioned not seeing Killarney, but you have Kenmare which IMO is a better choice anyway and serves the same area. You could easily get away with two days in Dingle, especially since you wouldn't be coming from very far away. Or you could do three in the hopes of increasing your chances for good weather. I would add 1 or two days onto the Kenmare area because there is so much to see. It's not just the Ring of Kerry. Add to what Budman pointed out, the Beara Peninsula, a drive into to Gougane Barra and the list could go on. I think I would do 3 and 3 but would even consider 4 in Kenmare and 2 in Dingle. Again Dingle is very compact but you really want to make sure you get to see it in good weather. It's far reaching beauty is lost when a thick Irish mist shrouds the peninsula. On the other hand, there is something beautiful about the beehive huts in the mist.

Bill
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 07:58 AM

I think that your itinerary looks great. Your parents are going to have a wonderful time!
We were in Ireland last June and stayed in all of these places.
You may want to consider adding the extra day to Cashel.
The first day driving could be tiring, especially if it is their first trip to Ireland.
The first day they could see The Rock of Cashel and have a nice dinner.
The next day visit Cahir Castle and the Swiss Cottage.
They could top off the second day with a night at the Bru Boru Centre.
(we did all of this in a day, traveling from Kinsale...but we are use to packing a lot in a day...up early and out late.)

The Ring of Kerry and Killarney, Muckross, etc. can be enjoyed during their stay in Kenmare.

We stayed in Dingle, one of our favorite stops, 2 days...3 would be plenty of time.

Kilkenny was our least favorite stay(1 night)...did enjoy the castle and Jerpoint Abbey.