Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ring of Kerry, Dingle Peninsula or Cliffs of Moher

Jan 31st, 2009, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

This is kind of a Beatles or Elvis question, but here goes...We have to make a decision after we depart Cashel on our too short self driving tour of Ireland in April. Although it is probably an unfair and totally subjective question, if we should choose just one of these three sites (we don't have time to do more), given the weather in April, numbers of tourists, etc., what should it be? We would welcome any input from folks who have been to these places. We will be traveling with our nine year old son.
Jan 31st, 2009, 11:33 AM

I personally enjoy the ROK, but you really can't go wrong with all three. We found that by going in a clockwise route from Kilarney, starting around noon, we miss the tourist buses and most of the traffic.

Where are you going from Cashel? If you have a couple of days you could do the ROK, stay south of the Shannon. Next day take the Shannon ferry from Tarbert and drive the coast road up to the Cliffs.

Make sure your 9 yr. old has their own digital camera, this gets them involved in the drives.
Jan 31st, 2009, 11:43 AM

I loved Cliffs of Moher. Of course, it was years ago when you could wander out on them (maybe you still can?), but to me, they were too spectacular to be missed. It may also depend on weather...
Jan 31st, 2009, 02:31 PM

Not knowing much else of your itinerary - how long you have or where you will be staying, my vote is for Dingle. The scenery is spectacular and in April you aren't going to run into too many tourists. We have been to the Cliffs, which take an hour or so to visit, and you can't get out to the edge. (When we went in '95, we could and did, and I tell you, it was scarey!) We have also driven the ROK and while there are some great sights, we much prefer the atmosphere of the Dingle Penninsula.
Jan 31st, 2009, 05:03 PM

If you must limit yourself to one, make it Dingle!
Jan 31st, 2009, 05:08 PM

We have been to Dingle twice and are going back again the 1st of May. My vote would be Dingle! Slea Head Drive is so beautiful.

Craig
Jan 31st, 2009, 05:34 PM

I would have to say Dingle. Several years ago we posed a similar question to our B&B hostess in Waterford. She did not hesitate to recommend Dingle (fewer crowds and spectacular scenery)....and she was right!!
Jan 31st, 2009, 05:34 PM

I, too, would vote for Dingle. Absolutely beautiful. We thought it was the highlight of our Ireland trip.
Jan 31st, 2009, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

It soumds as if the consensus seems to be Dingle, which was kind of our inclination, as well. We will be leaving Cashel in the middle to latter part of the afternoon prior, and will travel to Tralee or Killarney for our Dingle experience. Does anyone have any thoughts on a good location (other than the two above) to stage for Dingle? I liked Killarney because it is only an hour or so from Cashel. Also, I understand that Killarney National Park is spectacular in its own right. As usual, this site is immensely helpful. Thanks to all for your replies. I will not consider planning a trip without consulting the Fodorites!
Feb 1st, 2009, 11:57 AM

gravy, why don't you give us a little more information. How long will you be there, where you are coming in and out of, and we can give better advice.

Dingle is a nice little town on its own, you could certainly stay there.
Feb 1st, 2009, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

We only have 6 days in Ireland, and I have been trying to shoehorn four and a half days in the countryside to accomodate one and a half days in Dublin (we fly in and out of this city). I think, after much consideration, that we will blow off Dublin altogether to give us more time in the country. I know that Dublin is charming, and we could spend a week there and enjoy it, but I have been to a number of European cities. I haven't spent enough time as we would like in the villages and less populated areas. That said, our itinerary is shaping up like this: Arrive Dublin on 04-07 and head to Kilkenny around noon with our rental car. We will spend the night there and go to Cashel the next day (Wednesday). That evening, we will go to Killlarney and spend the day there. Friday will be our day touring the Dingle Peninsula. It is this point that the trip becomes a bit unclear. I like the idea of concluding our day on the peninsula with an overnight stay in Dingle.

We would like to spend Saturday and Sunday trekking back towards Dublin. Where in the Midlands would be a nice destination (not interested in Limerick) for us to spend the balance of Saturday and through the early afternoon on Easter Sunday?
Feb 1st, 2009, 03:05 PM

I vote for Dingle but you can "see" the Cliffs of Moher quite quickly if you want--there's a large car park within easy walking distance of the main viewing area and I understand now there's a very nice visitor's center.

It's not like you have to devote a whole day to it unless you aren't anywhere near there.

If you're flying out of Shannon, you might be able to fit it in.
Feb 1st, 2009, 03:22 PM

You have three "cute babies" here; there is no wrong answer. Personally, the Ring of Kerry was absolutely amazing and far exceeded the Dingle Peninsula in my view. While there were very beautuful views on the Dingle Peninsula, overall the Ring of Kerry offers a much outstanding diversity of historical sights (stone forts, castles), towns (LOVED Caherciveen!), dramatic views (INCH Beach is spectacular!), the Skelligs coastal ride, and Kenmare is just a jewel- every picture is a postcard! As far as logistics, Killarney IS a great starting point for the ROK.
Feb 1st, 2009, 05:57 PM

Viajero2 wrote: "INCH Beach is spectacular!"

It's not on the RoK: it's on the Dingle Peninsula.
Feb 2nd, 2009, 04:42 AM

I agree!! Is not INCH that I was thinking, but Inch name that came to mind...the name, what was the name of that gorgeous beach on ROK??????
Feb 2nd, 2009, 10:48 AM

I'll suggest an alternative route for you to consider. On Wednesday drive from Cashel to Kenmare and spend the night there. On Thursday drive from Kenmare to Killarney (a beautiful stretch!), spend the rest of the day around Killarney, and drive on to Dingle. Spend two nights in Dingle. On Saturday take either of these routes: (1) Drive from Dingle to Ennis via the Killimer-Tarbert ferry across the Shannon River, through the Burren, to the Cliffs of Moher, to Ballyvaughan and spend the night there, or (2) After you cross the river on the ferry, take the coastal route to the Cliffs of Moher, go on to Ballyvaughan, and spend the night there. On Sunday you'll have lots of time to meander back to Dublin.
Feb 3rd, 2009, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

That is a great suggestion. I checked the fares for the Killmer/Tarbert ferry, and it is only 18 Euros for the car and passengers (one way passage). This also positions us nicely for a drive up the coast to the COM, and the rest of the itinerary that you suggested. We will definitely keep this is mind. Good responses as always from the fodorites universe!