Cliffs of Moher or Dingle Peninsula?

Jul 30th, 2006, 01:57 AM
Original Poster

Cliffs of Moher or Dingle Peninsula?

Only have time for one or the other. Cliffs of Moher or Dingle Peninsula for scenery and hiking/walking. Also interested in seeing artifacts, castles or ruins there or nearby...
Jul 30th, 2006, 03:50 AM

Dingle Peninsula, hands down. Spectacular scenery, archaeologicial sites, remote walks, bicycles to rent, traditional music sessions in the pubs.
Jul 30th, 2006, 04:28 AM

Dingle. Its really nice down there.
Pure heaven when the weather is good.
Jul 30th, 2006, 04:51 AM

I agree with Dingle. Stop in Doyles Seafood Restaurant for their specialty, Poached Oysters in a Warm Guiness Sauce. Oh, yum!!!
Jul 30th, 2006, 06:15 AM

C.o.M. = about an hour or so onsite.

Dingle Peninsula = at least 1 very full day, up to 3 days.
Jul 30th, 2006, 06:32 AM

Dingle, Slea Head drive, without a doubt. The whole area...town and peninsula, is beautiful and interesting.
Jul 30th, 2006, 07:30 AM

It all depends upon where you are coming from, and where you are heading to, along with the time of year you are traveling.

What's your itinerary? When are you traveling?

In June you will have the longest day of the year. It won't get dark until 10:00pm. I noticed in another of your posts that you would be in Galway. You could see the "cliffs" in an hour or so. Of course, you won't be able to do any serious hiking in the area, but I think it's well worth a quick stop either to or from Galway.
Jul 30th, 2006, 08:01 AM

Dingle..no question!
Jul 30th, 2006, 09:07 AM

Maybe I was a little unclear - Dingle, but maybe you can do both.
Jul 30th, 2006, 10:18 AM

I would say either a hike on the Cliffs of Moher AND a hike on the Burren, espeically if you are going in the spring or summer with flowers blooming in the cracks. The Burren is best if you get out of the car and find a spot to walk with your own private miles of the Burren.

OR Dingle Peninsula is beautiful as well, with Slea Head, and Connor's pass!

I wouldn't drive all the way to County clare just to see the Cliffs of Moher, however, if you choose to spend a few nights in County clare, and include the Cliffs, the Burren, and the music pubs, then it would be a worthy trade.

Both are great!

Also I regret not having had time to see Loop Head, which is in between Dingle and the Cliffs of Moher!

You can't go wrong...both the Dingle Peninsula and County Clare are great.

I think people's answers are reflecting the fact that the Dingle Peninsula has many sites to see, and they wouldn't trade all those experiences for one single site at the Cliffs of Moher.

You might want to take into consideration that the Cliffs of Moher are very crowded...and they are under construction so the beginning is marred by a big hole and a giant crane. HOWEVER when you spend an hour and a half round-trip hiking far past the visitir's center, you will find great beauty and peace, and they are the highest cliffs we have ever stood upon and that plunge straight down to the sea...the birds are actually flying below you, not above you, an unusual site for me!

Have fun!
Jul 30th, 2006, 10:21 AM

Forgot to add something. You also mentioned an interest in castles and ruins nearby. Dingle has a lot of bits of old ruins, but they are all small piles of rocks, there isn't a whole castle. If you choose Dingle either use Rick Steves self-guided tour in his book or else there are a local father and son who do an archaeology tour we heard is great. Without some info they will just look like piles of rocks.

Not far from the Cliffs of Moher is the Dunguaire castle, which has a lovely location. We did the touristy but very fun medieval banquet there and had a walk around outside. Also on the Burren there are more ruins...more piles of rocks including hte Poulnabrone Dolmen (which had busses lined up unfortunately beside it so try to see it early or late in the day if possible...)
Jul 31st, 2006, 10:31 AM

I am actually trying to make the same choice myself--whether to do Clare/Burren region or the Dingle Peninsula. I am flying in and out of Shannon, renting a car, and will have 6 full days, leaving early on the 7th. Is it feasible to do both areas (via the K/T ferry) or should I pick one? Any itinerary suggestions would be appreciated.

-Shauna
Jul 31st, 2006, 11:23 AM

I would skip the Burren, head from Shannon to the Cliffs, on to Lahinch for lunch, down to the ferry, cross the Shannon River, and off to Dingle. Don't skip the Cliffs. They can be seen in an hour or so.