Taxi Tips Please: 4 + Infant - Paris & Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2012, 12:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are usually "Public Transportation" people. Know Paris well and visit frequently, but haven't been to Rome in 40 years. As we've aged, especially at night, we will pay for a cab back to the hotel if we've enjoyed the wine or it's late and we're tired, instead of using the metro, but not in a larger group.

Our upcoming situtation: We arrive Paris, Gare de l'Est at 23:00, after a full day of traveling with an 11 month old. Normally, we would just take the #4 metro line to St. Michel or Odéon to reach our hotel (a short walk away), but we will be traveling with a jet lagged family, each with a small suitcase or back pack, and a stroller. My first inclination is, "We can do this" (metro), but I'm not sure that's the smartest thing to do. Which would you take under the circumstances, taxi or metro?

Re: Taxi etiquette in general...My memories of "way back when", when traveling with my parents as a larger family together, were that taxis wouldn't take more than 3 passengers. More than 3, you had to take 2 separate cabs.

Today, I know that there are van taxis...but what is the protocol? If we queue up and are next at the Taxi stand and it's a sedan, not a van, will they allow 3 in back/one up front or make us wait (letting others go ahead) until a van is finally next? Or will a van further back in line, get out of the rank and pull forward? How does that work in a Taxi line?

Same questions, sort of, for Rome. We have arranged for personal shuttle service from airport to Rome, but what pointers can anyone give us for transportation in Rome proper with an infant during our 3 days there?

I am planning on using the bus close to our hotel or walking mainly, but realize there may be situations for saving time and energy when a taxi might be the right choice. What are the do's and don'ts for Rome taxis? Again, how does it work for 4 + infant? I speak fluent French, but little Italian so there is a disadvantage there in Rome.

Thanks for any help/observations/opinions...this type of travel with baby will be a first for us. As young parents, we never took our kids much further than the next state to go camping, besides the mandatory cross-country trip to see grandparents so we're looking forward to the learning experience...but we want it to go as well as possible! Thanks!
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 02:29 AM

Hello from France
there are special Monospace taxi companies that will take you from stations and airport. you need to book in advance
here is one tel +33 6 58 79 38 87

website link
http://www.taxiaeroportparis.fr/tel-...onospace-paris
I found the info on website of airport of paris so must be reliable. good luck
Sylvie
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 05:38 AM

I would use a private shuttle for this group in Paris. I am a fan of Shuttle-Inter, having used them successfully for several round trips to/from CDG. Last year they provided (we asked in advance) a booster seat for my pre-schooler grandson, and I imagine they have car seats available for babies, also. The price is set, you pay nothing in advance, and it is no more than a taxi. www.shuttle-inter.com
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 09:46 AM

You don;t have 4 - you have 4 plus an infant plus luggage. Agree to book a shuttle in advance - since you might well not fir into even a van taxi - depending on how much luggage and baby "stuff" you will have.
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 12:40 PM

Paris is absolutely chock full of large station wagon and van taxis these days. Just get in the taxi line and the attendant will steer you to a taxi that can handle your group. There is no issue regarding "fitting" in a taxi. There might, however, be a wait at that time of night, in which case a shuttle might be the better idea.
Old Feb 10th, 2012, 12:19 PM

In Paris, there is someone often in charge of the taxi queue who will manage things so you don't have to worry about whether a van will go around or not or what they will do. They aren't allowed to refuse four people since 2001. An infant is a person, though.

are you kidding, I can't even conceive of someone taking the metro with an infant at midnight with other kids and a bunch of baggage and a stroller. I would also book a private shuttle if you can.
Old Feb 10th, 2012, 06:52 PM

<i>My memories of "way back when", when traveling with my parents as a larger family together, were that taxis wouldn't take more than 3 passengers. More than 3, you had to take 2 separate cabs. </i>

This idea is completely obsolete. Parisian taxis can easily accommodate six and will almost always cost you significantly less than attempting to use a shuttle. Expect to pay from 45€ to 55€ to almost any address withing central Paris plus 3€ for the 4th and each subsequent passenger. There is an additional 1€ charge for luggage after the first and I typically tip 3% to 5% of the fare.
Old Feb 11th, 2012, 12:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all! Sarasto, that really helps me compare taxi vs. shuttle and which is worth what.

Kind of hard for me to swallow spending that kind of money for a 15 minute ride instead of the 5 euros on the metro. But then I start thinking of all the stairs, the fatigue, all the people out on the street around St. Michel that time of night on a Friday night, etc.

I think we'll opt for a shuttle. We'll write this one into the journal as an "inexpensive mini-night tour of Paris". Sounds a lot better that way!

Thanks everone!
Old Feb 11th, 2012, 04:14 AM

The prices Sarastro quoted seem to me to be more consistent with taking a taxi from CDG airport into the city than taking a taxi from the Gare de l'Est - I think we've all forgotten that's where you're arriving, but I could be wrong. It shouldn't cost you that much for a ride from the train station to your hotel at that time of night when traffic will be slim.
Old Feb 11th, 2012, 04:32 AM

StCirq is correct as I mistakenly gave you taxi prices from CDG. Most likely I was overly focused the word <i>jetlagged</i>.
Old Feb 11th, 2012, 05:08 AM

Why would you book a shuttle when the taxi master can get you a taxi for that size group.