Taxi Overcharge CDG to Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just can't thank everyone enough for all the info this forum has given us. We have a question about taxi fare from CDG to Paris. Last time we were there, we were with tour group and transportation was taken care of. We are arriving on a Wed., Apr. 22 at 8AM and figure we will be ready for the taxi around 9AM. How do we know the driver is on the up and up and doesn't take us out of our way to raise the fare? This happened to me in London 20 years ago and it still makes me a little leary of taxis. We will be going to Hotel Luxembourg Parc. Thanks for all the help. Would take shuttle, but feel the taxi is more convenient.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 05:25 PM

I've been to Paris at least 20 times and always have taken taxis...and have never been ripped off.

The taxis are registered with the city, and if this happened to you in London I would bet you took a "gypsy cab". If you have a complaint , walk into your hotel and tell the desk and let them deal with it. Count on at least 50E. It can be even more if you run into roadworks or traffic jams..so watch the meter!

At the risk of being crucified here..I have to say..we Americans certainly think everyone is out to rip us off!!

Old Feb 9th, 2004, 05:29 PM

You land at 8 am, and say that you'll be ready for a cab by 9 am....hope an hour's enough. Should be, but perhaps you should hedge your time a little more?
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Brimhan - it doesn't matter if it takes us longer to get thru the airport, just thought an hour was about the norm. The longer the better IMO because we'll maybe miss the rush hour. Thanks for your help. Jody, I guess my concern was how not to take a "gypsy cab" to begin with so as to avoid any confusion. Thanks
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 05:47 PM

Just make sure you go get in the regular taxi line at CDG. You may be approached by someone on your way there offering you a taxi and help with your luggage. Pretend they don't exist or politely and firmly say NO. Those are the "gypsy" cabs, a term which always leaves me with a vision of gold hoops, scarves, and tamborines plastered to the cab.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 05:52 PM

You need to follow the signs in the airport and go to the official taxi rang, where you will get Parisian taxis. On your way, it is likely that you will be approached by people in the terminal asking you if you want a taxi. DO NOT ACCEPT! These are the ripoff deals. Go directly to the official taxi stand and you will get a metered taxi. Like jody, I've never been ripped off by an official taxi. For laughs, I have asked some of the "unofficial" taxis what they want for a ride into the city and you can easily pay double.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 06:04 PM

Funnily enough..the only times I have ever felt ripped off was on returning home and taking a metered Orlando taxi!I worked 1 mile from the airport and could make it home in 25 minutes..timing lights and being in the correct lane. But taking a taxi from Orlando airport ..they hit every light and are always in the wrong lane! That's why I have a car service pick us up on return. I think we need an offical taxi here! And I hate having to tell them how to get to my house ,,which in 14 miles is 1 left turn and one right turn! I guess "the knowledge" has yet to arrive on our shores!
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 06:19 PM

Your taxi fare should be 45-50 Euros. Listen to the other posters about ignoring anyone who approaches you in the terminal or just outside the doors.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 07:37 PM

It's easy to avoid illegal taxis if you don't take rides with cars not in the official taxi rank. Also, registered taxis have signs on top saying Taxi Parisien, but you won't find an illegal one in the official taxi rank.

I have never been ripped off by a taxi in Paris, but I speak French fairly well and know where I'm going enough to even give directions. I don't think there is any 100 pct way to guarantee a taxi driver won't take you somewhat out of the way anywhere -- that's kind of what taxi drivers may do in any city (they are worse where I live in the US than in Paris). Anyway, I've never had it happen to me in Paris and don't know anyone else who has, either, so it's not a common problem.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 08:11 PM

Those rogue taxi drivers are so easy to spot at CDG. They're the ones who have the time to hang around the Arrivals hall and try to solicit fares.
Whereas, the genuine taxis and taxi drivers are very busy loading passengers outside the exit door to the curb.
Just get into the queue with the other passengers and the line moves quickly. Like everyone else stated, we weren't ripped off by any of these taxi drivers. It was always approximately 45-50 euro per ride.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 10:41 PM

We have taken official taxis numerous times in Paris without ever being ripped off. The only problem, if you want to call it that, was I had a taxi "deviate" from the known route and I thought maybe he was trying to avoid heavy pedestrian traffic ahead. After a couple of blocks still in a contrary direction I said something to the driver...about the time he was announcing to us "et voila"...turns out he (himself a foreigner) had confused St-Andres-des-Art with Beaux Art, which luckily was n
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 10:46 PM

Sorry-I hate using my husband's laptop; I always hit the wrong key!

Luckily we were only a few blocks off and he adjusted the fee accordingly w/o me having to say anything. Be sure to have smaller bills/change. Whether they are feigning (to be able to keep the change)or not, a lot of cabs can not/do not take large bills, but I think that should be common sense.

Have a fun trip.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 02:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help. I feel confident now that we will be fine.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 04:09 AM

Have a great trip!
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 04:43 AM

As others have said, go to the taxi queue, take a Taxi Parisien AND have the name of your hotel printed out and to be even more sure, a map. You can go to maporama and print an area map of your hotel (not suggesting a route--just surrounding streets).
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 05:24 AM

Gretchen, thanks for the suggestion about carrying a printed map of where one's hotel is located. It's good to have on hand with the name of the hotel in case the driver isn't sure how to get to the hotel. Parisian streets are sometimes one-way and confusing so it would help.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 05:36 AM

The one way thing is so true. We stay at the Muguet and the little short street that connects to Lamotte-Picquet is one way. We now tell the driver that it is.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 06:06 AM

We found out because our taxi driver looked a bit confused when he tried to get to Hotel d'Angleterre on rue Jacob. He couldn't turn into rue Jacob from where we were as it's one-way.