Reload this Page >

taking tube to hotel...

Search

taking tube to hotel...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 07:29 AM
Connie

taking tube to hotel...

we are going to stay the Regent Palace Hotel in London, that has a Picadilly tube stop right outside the front door....QUESTION: is a truly a hassle getting your luggage from Heathrow to the hotel, should we get a taxi, or hire a car for 2 people?<BR>Thanks<BR>Connie

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 07:33 AM
XXX

Is it a hassle? Depends on how much luggage. If you have one suit case each and some carry ons it is not that bad. It is a little easier coming into Heathrow Terminal 4 than Terminal 3 and at Picadilly there are escalators to the booking hall level.<BR><BR>But the station at Picadilly is very crowded at most hours and there are many exits. By the time you find yours, you might feel hassled.<BR><BR>I am a single guy and have one suit case, an attache case and a carry on I can put over my shoulder. I have managed it without too much trouble including a change at Earl's Court.<BR><BR>It is up to you to decide. It certainly is much cheaper.<BR><BR>BTW another failry inexpensive alternative is the airbus.....

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 07:35 AM
Lori

If you have only one bag go for it, but personally I would not simply because I find the tube combined with luggage is inconvenient (stairs, escalators, to say nothing of crowded trains). We use a car driver service (www.london-transfers.com .. tell them Lori recommended them should you contact them) <BR>I think a lot of it has to do with your budget, your ability to handle jet lag, how far you traveled (for us it's a 10.5 hr. flight from the west coast plus time at the airport, etc. - we are super tired upon arrival), and just your general feeling for comfort and convenience. I'm not saying the tube is bad, but it's not my choice of transportation w/luggage.<BR><BR>

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 07:40 AM
elaine

Connie<BR>having tried most of the available optins, the answer to "is it truly a hassle?" is, "it depends."<BR><BR>If you are arriving at Heathrow during weekday rush hours, you will find that the Tube trains get more and more crowded as you approach London, and any kind of substantial suitcase will be blocking seats or the doorway and will generally be difficult to maneuver.<BR><BR>At any time of day, a heavy suitcase is difficult to manage in and out of the tube, because one way or another a long stairway will present itself and wheels do you no good on stairs.<BR><BR>A taxi or pre-arranged car service is much more expensive of course, but much more convenient.<BR><BR>I haven't looked up the address of your hotel so I don't know what the name of the tube stop is on the Picc. line, but<BR>if you are anywhere near Paddington Station, you can take what I think of as the compromise between the Tube and a taxi in terms of both price and convenience, and use the Paddington Express. That special train leaves from Heathrow ( you have to walk down lots of long corridors, but no stairs) and in 15 minutes has you at Paddington Station. You can take the Tube or a taxi from there, but if you want the Tube you'll have to leave Paddington and go to another stop to change to the Picc. line, so I'd recommend a taxi.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 07:48 AM
Strangest

Lori, I'm not trying to pick a fight, but why do you ALWAYS tell people to tell Ray Skinner that YOU recommended them? Do you get a kickback from Ray? <BR><BR>We used Ray on our trip to London in May and he really was great and I have also recommended him on this board and to others, but never do I say "tell Ray that I recommendeded him". <BR><BR>Strange, IMHO.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 08:02 AM
Ken

Does Ray Skinner respond quickly? I sent him a reservation on Tuesday and yet (Friday) have not received any confirmation or response at all.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 09:19 AM
Thanks

I'm glad someone finally spoke up and asked Lori to cool it with the Ray Skinner advertising. There are a million car services that will get you from Heathrow to London. I glad that Skinner has been good for many of you but "tell him Lori said hi" is getting really, really old. Does she ever post with any other tips? This seems to be the only time her name ever pops up, which makes it look like she's an employee.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 09:54 AM
Lori

No, I am not an employee of Ray's, just a satisfied customer. I always say I get nothing out of it (no kickbacks). I guess I will just stop recommending Ray since some of you get so upset. I never thought it was a crime to ask that people tell him who recommended him. <BR><BR>As for the other remarks, Yes, I do post very frequently on this forum. I've recommended apartments, given theater tips, gave descriptions of various hotels in London & Paris, advised people about the London Eye, shopping hours, tube connections, etc. etc. I can go on and on here, but what is the point.<BR><BR>I truly see why Elvira, Kavey, and others have dropped out of sight from time to time. There is always someone out there who jumps all over people for the pure joy of it. It's no wonder most of the regulars do not use their real e-mails and/or full or real names.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 10:11 AM
Jake

Given how much business that Lori has given him, I think it is downright mean of Ray not to at least give her free transportation each time she comes to London.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 03:36 PM
enough

Lori, it's just that you say it SO MUCH. I know London Transfers is great and Ray's a wonderful guy but you don't have to keep saying "tell him Lori recommended him" over and over and over ad nauseum. That's all. <BR><BR>And for Ken, if you contacted Ray thru their website, they say they will respond within 24 hours. I had an email from them the next day.<BR><BR>

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 03:47 PM
Nancy

What is with you guys criticizing Lori. What we are all looking for is a "good" recommendation. So what if Lori mentions it often - we don't all have time to read every message.<BR><BR>Connie - in my two trips to London I took the Airbus (to Victoria station) and then a taxi to my hotel. It was so easy. Seeing people on the metro with only a bit of luggage seemed a hassle to me. Don't remember other stops Airbus made but it's worth checking out.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 06:35 PM
Sue

Connie, I think if your hotel is right outside a Picadilly tube line stop, then the tube is fine to take from Heathrow, if you don't have too much heavy luggage. I go to London quite often, and always take the tube to near my hotel in Bloomsbury(I can walk to the hotel from Russell Square tube stop.) It gets you there alot faster than a taxi, and I think it's really easy. I usually have a medium or small suitcase plus another smaller carry-on type, and I'm an older woman, solo. However, I take the Airbus back to Heathrow. If you have more luggage than you want to hassle with on the tube the Airbus is a great alternative. They stop many places, just be sure to get on the right bus!

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 08:43 PM
janis

Connie: If you only have small bags the tube is OK. But the Picadilly Circus tube station is one of the most confusing on the whole Pic. line. It has many exits - you will need to exit either Regent Street East side or Shaftsbury North side. <BR><BR>If you take most of the other exits you will come up to the surface across the Circus and it will be very difficult to get to the hotel. You would probably end up going back down into the station to look for the right one. There are fairly long stairs to the surface so with large/heavy bags it will be a hassle.<BR><BR>A car service is the most convenient way since they drop you right at the door of your hotel. <BR><BR>If you take the LHR Express to Paddington then you should take a cab to the hotel since the tube ride would require 1 or 2 line transfers.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 06:46 PM
gogoellen

Boy! That is one part of our recent trip I wish I could do again! You get to London and you are so tired!!! That was not the time for us to try to ride the tube to the hotel. (we had to change from 1 line to another). Anyway the tube WAS easy after a day or two...but not when you are operating on jet lag! I vote for the express train!

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 09:24 PM
Red

Take the express train to the Paddington station and then take a cab to your hotel. There are steps and turnstiles on the tube that will make you crazy with luggage. I very rarely got a seat on the tube and it was always crowded. After a flight over the pond you will be tired and cranky. Pamper yourself with a taxi ride.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 05:03 PM
Sylvia

Take the Airbus. It no longer travels to Victoria. I think the only line left is A2, and that goes out to Euston/Kings Cross. But you could take the Airbus to Marble Arch, and then cab it to Picadilly. Great view from the top of the bus!!****