Car service or public transportation?

Old Aug 19th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car service or public transportation?

My husband and I will be in London in October. We'll be arriving at Heathrow & staying at the Marriott Grovesnor house on Park Lane. I'm trying to decide which is the most cost effective option for us. If I do my math correctly, JustAirports is almost as expensive as the tube for the both of us. Any help is greatly appreciated.

E
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 06:13 PM

I believe you meant to say that the tube is just as expensive as JustAirports, which btw, is not true. About 50 minutes to central London.

The tube will cost you 4BPs each so 8BPs total.

I doubt very much JustAirports will drive you to central London for 8BPs.

You must be confusing the Heathrow Express with the tube. A whole different animal. It takes 15 minutes to get to Piccadilly Station and I think it's ~13BPs (not really sure, but I believe I'm close).

I don't know what kind of fare you got quoted from JustAirports, but it may be just few BPs more than the HE, but a great deal more than the Underground.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 06:18 PM

Just Airports is very little more than the HE for two people or more, but more expensive than the tube, sure
Anyway, if you'll have a lot of luggage ..the tube can be uncomfortable going up and down
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 08:13 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Nope - the Heathrow Express gets one to Paddington station in 15 minutes.

- The Tube is by far the cheapest - but the Grosvenor House is quite a hike from the Hyde Park Corner tube station - especially dragging luggage.

- The HEX only gets you to Paddington which depending on the time of day/traffic will be about a £10+ cab ride to the hotel.

So cheapest is the tube - not recommended in this case unless yoy are on a really tight budget, but if you are staying at the Grosvenor you won't be scrimping anyway. (And if you are staying free on points - you don't need to scrimp.)

Hire a car service like justairports.com. It will costless than the HEX+taxi and a lot easier than the tube/schlepping up Park Lane.
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 07:26 PM

My Niece and I took the HEX from London to Heathrow, and it was a lot more than 15 minutes, as some of the track was not up to snuff. You can buy tickets easily at the trace, it was about 15 pounds each. According to all our taxi drivers in London, for 2 its the same in a taxi as on the HEX. We were told that the freeways have been improved for the journey to London - I believe some new express lanes. I agree that dragging suitcases up all the stairs in the tube is no fun.
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 07:41 PM

While I don't doubt your story about HEX delay, I never had it happened to me and I took HEX about 50 times in the last few years. Always 15 minutes +/-1 minute....