Switzerland Question

Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 10:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switzerland Question

Hello everybody! I've got another question about Switzerland, if you don't mind. I am planning to have two full days staying in Lauterbrunnen. After looking at all of the different options, there are four things I would really like to do: go to murren and take the trail to gimmelwald, see the Trummelbach Falls, take the hike from Mannlichen to Wengen, and go to First and hike at least as far as the bachalpsee. I am not sure if it is possible to do all these things in two days. What time does it get dark in August? Do you think I could do each of these things in two days?
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 05:40 AM

I don't know if you can do all of that, but I would think that you could do three out of four. One day you can go see the Trummelbach Falls, then go up to Murren and walk to Gimmelwald. The walk from First is one of the most beautiful walks, it takes a while to get over there from Lauterbrunnen and I would think that you would want to savor the views, imho, this is at least a half day adventure, more if you stop to sniff the roses (cows). Don't know where you will squeeze in the other hike, but you can take the train to wengen, gondola up to mannlichen and then another gondola
down to grindelwald and then the gondola up to first, so you can see all this area even if you don't get a hike in.
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 07:59 AM

You can do what you list, but there are better options all around. I scratch my head when I read "Gimmelwald" as a destination. I can only figure that someone read Steves' book.

Gimmelwald is a nice enough place, but there is nothing much there. I have walked through it several times on my way to other destinations.

It is not darkness that you need to be concerned about; you need more to know the times of the last departures of the various cable conveyences and trains going your way.

For example, if you leave Grindelwald after 18:30, you will have a long wait before riding back to Lauterbrunnen because the connections are not timely after then.

I think a fast walker could follow the river trail from Zweilütschinen to Lauterbrunnen and get there before the late trains.

Trains between Wengen - Lauterbrunnen are not a problem; nor are connections Mürren - Lauterbrunnen.

I think it is too bad that you are allowing so little time in that area.
I have spent weeks there over the years and have yet to see everything.

And I will be back at it on June 20.
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 12:44 PM

I would suggest a good day would be to take the funicular (I think that's what it is called) from Lauterbrunnen up to Grutschalp. From there you can take a train to Murren, but you can also walk. Its a short, easy walk along the cliff above the valley with extraordinary scenery. It takes us longer than it should, because we keep stopping to view the sights. From Murren you could take the cable car to the top of the Schilthorn if the weather at the top allows you to get a good view. From Murren I believe there is a cable car to Gimmelwald; there is also a trail. From Gimmelwald (or Murren if you choose to skip Gimmelwald) take the cable car to Stechelberg on the floor of the valley. Then hike down the valley, stopping at Trummelbach on your way back to Lauterbrunnen. I think this can be done in well under a full day, if you are fit, or choose to rent a bicycle.

If you are quick enough, you might be able to squeeze in the Mannlichen/Wengen hike that day; you probably would not be overly tired from the Murren circuit, as most of it is level.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 12:52 PM

Gimmelwald is perfect if you want a place that is quiet and peaceful, not mobbed by tourists, or polluted with tacky souveniers. But if you want a fancy hotel and a clubbing nightlife, then some of the other towns are better choices.
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Hi everyone! Thanks for the responses. I'm not really interested in going to Gimmelwald all that much, I just heard that it was a really nice walk to go there from Murren. But, I think maybe that you are right that it would be better to go one day to Mannlichen and see the Trummelbach Falls and one day to Grindelwald and First. I am going to be in Germany this entire summer, but I can only plan weekend trips. So, I really can't stay in the area any longer than this. I certainly wish that I could!
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Hello again. I actually realize that I misspoke on the post. I didn't really mean the walk from Murren to Gimmelwald. I read through my current travel plans again and realized taht I meant to say the walk from Grutschalp to Murren. I think I might take the funicular up from Lauterbrunnen, walk to Murren, go down to Stechelberg, and then walk back to Lauterbrunnen, stopping at Trummelbach Falls on the way. Do you think this would be better than either of the two hikes I listed in previous posts?
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 01:38 PM

My wife and I took that route (from Murren we went up to the Schilthorn) and it was very enjoyable. We had to train the Lauterbrunnen first, so you will be getting an earlier start; because of our delayed start, we lunched in Murren and enjoyed the view. There is also bus service from Stechelburg back to Lauterbrunnen, but we prefered to walk and enjoy the scenery; the valley has many waterfalls. If you are a fast hiker, you could finish this in a little over half a day, I would think, leaving time for another hike that day. However, be forewarned, no one walks as fast as normal in Switzerland, and one constantly stops to take in the scenery.