Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > How Much Time Needed for Towns in Bernese Oberland Region of Switzerland
Notices

How Much Time Needed for Towns in Bernese Oberland Region of Switzerland

Jun 24th, 2015, 04:16 AM
mrt
Original Poster

How Much Time Needed for Towns in Bernese Oberland Region of Switzerland

I will be spending 2 nights and 1.5 days in Interlaken next week and wanted to see the towns nearby: Lauterbrunnen, Murren, Wengen, Grindelwald, Kleine Scheidegg, as many as possible within the time I have. Would also like to do some hikes in the area using the towns as a base. Is it feasible to see these towns in the time I have? I also have a eurail global pass, so will that cover the trains between these towns? Thanks for the help.

Mrt
Jun 24th, 2015, 05:12 AM

And you're not going to ascend the Jungfrau?

Sorry, these towns are places to stay, relax and do hikes from - while charming they are not major tourist sights in themselves.
Jun 24th, 2015, 05:18 AM
mrt
Original Poster

Let's say I ascended the Jungfrau Saturday and then had most of Sunday to see these towns (train leaves Interlaken at 4pm), would that be a solid plan?
Jun 24th, 2015, 05:21 AM
mrt
Original Poster

Actually I just checked prices to ascend Jungfrau and I think it's too expensive for a young traveler on a budget like myself, so please just respond to my original post about the time needed to see these towns and hike around them.
Jun 24th, 2015, 08:20 AM

To make sure I understand, you will stay in Interlaken Friday night and Saturday night and so will have all day Saturday and half of Sunday, correct?

Of course it all depends on your priorities of hiking time vs relaxing in towns. Anyway, based on many trips to the area, here is what I would suggest to get your biggest bang for the buck given the towns you listed and since you are young, I imagine you will have lots of energy for a long day! If you want to max time up in the mountains vs the Interlaken area which is also nice on the lakes, then I suggest one day doing the Wengen (and possibly Grindelwald) side and the other day on the Murren side something as follows:

Saturday - take EARLY train up to Wengen. This train goes through Lauterbrunnen and while a nice town, I don't suggest you spend time here unless it was important to you to go see the Tremmelbach Falls from the valley floor (see below). You will get a great view of Lauterbrunnen while you ascend to Wengen. Take a stroll through Wengen and you can stop for a b-fast/snack on the main street - there is a bakery on the left as you walk up the main street. Then, take the cable car from Wengen up to Mannlichen. Again a gorgeous view of Wengen and the area from above and you can see Murren in the distance across the valley. Once on top, you can take the gorgeous and easy 3 mile hike (a walk really) from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg and have lunch in Kleine Scheidegg (KS) You will be treated to views down into the Grindelwald valley.
Now, you have several choices depending on how early of a start you got, mood for hiking, and energy levels! There are many variations but the key decision is whether you want to route back to Interlaken through Wengen or through Grindelwald as both are an option since trains go either direction from KS. Also, in both directions you can do a hike partway down and then catch the train (for example you can do a short hike from KS to Wengernalp and catch the train there).

Day 2 (Sunday) - since you have to be back down for a 4pm train, you'll once again want to get up early and take the train/cable this time to Murren BLM (via Lauterbrunnen). You can take a morning stroll through Murren and again, have many options on this side of the valley.
- You can take the cable up to Schilthorn (although cost may be a factor).
- You can take the funicular up to Allmendhubel (nice place for a snack/drink on top) and walk back down to Murren (there are easy trails) for beautiful views.
- You can take the nice walk from Murren down to Gimmelwald. From there either go back up to Murren via cable or you could go down into the valley via Stechelberg cable and take the post bus back to Lauterbrunnen and catch train back to Interlaken. If taking this route, is possible you could go see the Tremmelbach falls if you started early enough.

In terms of cost, I'm not sure about your eurail pass. Possible it might work on the lower train to say Lauterbrunnen but I'm guessing it won't work anywhere above so perhaps another poster can help there.

Have fun!
Jun 24th, 2015, 07:23 PM
kja

"I will be spending 2 nights and 1.5 days in Interlaken next week and wanted to see the towns nearby: Lauterbrunnen, Murren, Wengen, Grindelwald, Kleine Scheidegg, as many as possible within the time I have. Would also like to do some hikes in the area using the towns as a base. Is it feasible to see these towns in the time I have?"

IME, no.

Decide on your priorities, prepare for unexpected weather, and plan accordingly.

Search this Thread